The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

biglouis

I'm buying both, but I'll probably have to wait a month or so for the second one.

What has held me back earlier is that the corresponding Zuiko lenses have been scoring higher in reviews. Only recently have I come to the conclusion that the all over sharpness that the Zuiko lenses and many other modern lenses feature becomes rather uninteresting if it isn't accompanied by great micro contrast and depth. The samples and reviews I've been through the last week indicate strongly that the Panasonic duo is superior in this respect. Although these two lenses are not Leica branded, I have a strong feeling that Panasonic has learned a lot from the German master.

An added value is of course the "dual IS" I get with the GX8 and these lenses. The GX8 impresses me a lot when it comes to image quality btw.
I keep looking for a better mirrorless system than m43rds.

Sony, I had. I didn't like the fact that every lens you purchased was a lottery. Some good, some mediocre, some bad. All my m43rds lenses are good (oly7-14/2.8, Pan12-35/2.8, Pan20/1.7, Pan35-100/2.8, PanaLeica45/2.8, PanaLeica 25/1.4). Not a duff lens amongst them.

Today, I tried out a Leica SL. As soon as I picked it up with the 24-90 attached my lower back muscles started to go into spasm. Probably a non-starter, if only because of my age and health.

I am not about to swap from m43rds to APS-C. I don't see the point in going down the Sony or Fuji path.

I already own a Leica Q which is absolutely fantastic but of course wedded to wide angle.

Unfortunately, my only experience with the Sigma Quatrro SD was holding one and I thought the ergonomics were crap. I might, though be persauded by a Quattro SD-H but I suspect I will find it as heavy and painful as the SL.

Until someone makes a full-frame mirrorless with a reliable lens range I am probably going to stick with m43rds.

Just my two cents

LouisB

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I keep looking for a better mirrorless system than m43rds.

Sony, I had. I didn't like the fact that every lens you purchased was a lottery. Some good, some mediocre, some bad. All my m43rds lenses are good (oly7-14/2.8, Pan12-35/2.8, Pan20/1.7, Pan35-100/2.8, PanaLeica45/2.8, PanaLeica 25/1.4). Not a duff lens amongst them.

Today, I tried out a Leica SL. As soon as I picked it up with the 24-90 attached my lower back muscles started to go into spasm. Probably a non-starter, if only because of my age and health.

I am not about to swap from m43rds to APS-C. I don't see the point in going down the Sony or Fuji path.

I already own a Leica Q which is absolutely fantastic but of course wedded to wide angle.

Unfortunately, my only experience with the Sigma Quatrro SD was holding one and I thought the ergonomics were crap. I might, though be persauded by a Quattro SD-H but I suspect I will find it as heavy and painful as the SL.

Until someone makes a full-frame mirrorless with a reliable lens range I am probably going to stick with m43rds.

Just my two cents

LouisB
For me, going to a larger format mirrorless would be about low light capabilities. Fuji offers that, and I like their cameras and lenses, but I like the output from the Panasonic cameras more, particularly with the new 20MP sensor. I've also found that the little noise I get when I occasionally have to go beyond ISO 1600 has little negative impact on my photography unless I shoot for stock, and income from stock isn't that much anyway.

On the other side, there are lots of reasons to stay with m4/3:

- Two extremely competent suppliers plus more suppliers of lenses
- The ergonomics of Panasonic cameras
- The quality of the lenses
- The size of the lenses (most of them)
- Video quality with Panasonic cameras
- Having a system that encompasses cameras reaching from the microscopic GM5 to professional standard bodies like the E-M1 II and GH5
- Compatibility with other, special purpose bodies that use the same lens mount, like BlackMagic (professional video) and DJI (drones)

Less than 10 years after the first m4/3 camera was launched, the mount and sensor size has become a standard for an assortment of users and several manufacturers of gear. No other photo/video system can currently offer that. With improving technology, the small sensor offers an increasing number of advantages and a decreasing number of disadvantages. I don't see any rational reason to change.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Since Khun Teera posted a couple of photos of our good but very expensive friend Khun Mana on the Pen F thread, here's my contribution, one of the first shots with the new to me Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8. Nice lens :)

GX8 with Pana 12-35mm f/2.8 @ 35mm and f/2.8

scott kirkpatrick

@jono -- the video seems to stream very jerkily, even on the second time through, which means that it is not coming all down in a lump. Can you come up with a version that can be bulk downloaded? 400 MB doesn't scare me.

I have colleagues who worry about how the starlings might be programmed to fly in flocks like that. Their videos seem cruder than what you are getting, which I assume is HD, or is it 4K at 4:2:0? The stabilization is just lovely. No $1000 steadicam rig needed. How does this start up and end? Do they end up all packed into a single field or a tree or two?

scott

jonoslack

@jono -- the video seems to stream very jerkily, even on the second time through, which means that it is not coming all down in a lump. Can you come up with a version that can be bulk downloaded? 400 MB doesn't scare me.

I have colleagues who worry about how the starlings might be programmed to fly in flocks like that. Their videos seem cruder than what you are getting, which I assume is HD, or is it 4K at 4:2:0? The stabilization is just lovely. No $1000 steadicam rig needed. How does this start up and end? Do they end up all packed into a single field or a tree or two?

scott
Hi There Scott
I've simply put the file into dropbox - I would have thought you should be able to download it somehow rather than just viewing it? I guess I could zip it up perhaps? Unlike you my internet is rubbish (it took 8 hours to upload this!

Try Right Clicking on the link and choosing 'download linked file'

Interesting how they fly like this - fish do something similar I think - I'm a video ideot and I simply did it at the standard settings and saved it at 1920 by (whatever). They congregate over about 20 minutes, coming in from all directions, and then they go down very rapidly

Here's a video of them going to ground:https://vimeo.com/192127010
and here's another longer one (these both taken with the SL): https://vimeo.com/192127012

I put these on Vimeo - they look wonderful on the computer - but crap on Vimeo . . .the second one is more than 2Gb though!

Today I stopped on the way home - parked the car on the edge of the Fen - walked a mile to where I expected them to perform . . . and they performed right over my car!