The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Knorp

(Slightly OT) Both the Burbank (CA) "Bob Hope" airport and the Oakland airport have displays in the hallways memorializing Amelia Earhart. Burbank claims to be her "home airport."
Just wondering if this is the real Amelia or a movie impersonation ?

scott kirkpatrick

@jono -- right click does it (even on a Mac which pretends to have only one button). It looks like it will take less than half an hour. Of course, if you have DSL from the national wireline telephone company, you can forget about upload speed. The file is already encoded densely so zipping shouldn't make it any smaller. Do you have something faster at your office, or can you pass the problem to one of your sons -- that's what they are for!

I've been tempted to try 4K video on the SL, after seeing the nice work David Farkas has been doing. But the extra gear he uses to get 10 bit, 4:2:2 externally recorded video with good live miked sound and use a graded (reduced contrast) profile that has to be undone before you can see what you shot is a bit daunting. A pretty expensive experiment if you are just playing around. So my video button is still programmed OFF, waiting for a subject that will require it. The closest I can think of to your starlings is men in black and white, dancing frenetically at an ultra-orthodox wedding. Still images leave a lot out. I'll have more chances for that. Might try it with an E-M5.2, which has only HD (1900x1200) but also very good stabilization.

scott

jonoslack

@jono -- right click does it (even on a Mac which pretends to have only one button). It looks like it will take less than half an hour. Of course, if you have DSL from the national wireline telephone company, you can forget about upload speed. The file is already encoded densely so zipping shouldn't make it any smaller. Do you have something faster at your office, or can you pass the problem to one of your sons -- that's what they are for!
Sadly we all live rurally - at the office we can get around 8mbs, but it's not popular to hog it uploading big files - at hope upload is 0.3mbs - and the only alternative is Satellite - which doesn't exactly get a good press! Ironically, the house in Cornwall, which is right out in the wilds on the moors in West Penwith has fibre to the property (200mbs) . . . We sometimes consider moving there!

I've been tempted to try 4K video on the SL, after seeing the nice work David Farkas has been doing. But the extra gear he uses to get 10 bit, 4:2:2 externally recorded video with good live miked sound and use a graded (reduced contrast) profile that has to be undone before you can see what you shot is a bit daunting. A pretty expensive experiment if you are just playing around. So my video button is still programmed OFF, waiting for a subject that will require it. The closest I can think of to your starlings is men in black and white, dancing frenetically at an ultra-orthodox wedding. Still images leave a lot out. I'll have more chances for that. Might try it with an E-M5.2, which has only HD (1900x1200) but also very good stabilization.

scott
Well, I've been taking video on the SL, but I haven't bothered to do all the complicated things David has . . and it works very well (those Vimeo movies look great on the computer).

best
Jono

scott kirkpatrick

Jono's murmuration video sent me off around the web looking at murmuration videos this afternoon. It's a meme by now, but the M1.2's steadiness stands out for the quality of the video that it permits. Why the starlings do it is thought to be a combination of social and survival instincts, since they are safe from hawks in large groups and the presence of a hawk is often seen to trigger the formation of a swarm. On how they do it, I recommend a quite readable paper by a large flock of Italians, many of them known for first rate scientific work in other fields. They concluded that the birds maintain formation with their 6 or 7 nearest neighbors, so that none of them gets exposed to a predator. Pigeons have been shown to be able to count up to 6 or 7, so that is consistent.

The work in the first papers was done with six synchronized Canon DSLRs running at 10 fps, three pairs interlaced to give 20 fps, at three locations to give stereo with a baseline of 25 m. More than 80% of the birds in a flock of over 1000 starlings were successfully matched and tracked, above their roost in the trees in front of the main train station in downtown Rome.

scott

PSon

E-M1.2 + Hasselblad Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 150mm F2.8 F @F5.6 + Metabones Ultra 0.71x Speed Booster (SB)
Shot in high resolution BW JPG mode.

biglouis

Went for a spin with my GX8 and Oly 7-14/2.8 Pro this morning. I had reached my usual frustration level trying to get output from my Sigma DP0Q and just wanted to relax with a camera and lens I can rely on.