The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

N

nei1

Mawz, that first shot of yours is great.
A probably dumb question ;if you use leica or zeiss ,legacy? lenses on the 4:3 sensor is it giving its intended performance or a slightly better one because of the sensor size ,.....isnt the performance of a lens the sum of all its glass;full frame for full frame,4:3 to 4:3?

if this is true then you are testing something other than that you think you are,no?

Last edited:

mawz

Mawz, that first shot of yours is great.
A probably dumb question ;if you use leica or zeiss ,legacy? lenses on the 4:3 sensor is it giving its intended performance or a slightly better one because of the sensor size ,.....isnt the performance of a lens the sum of all its glass;full frame for full frame,4:3 to 4:3?

if this is true then you are testing something other than that you think you are,no?

Well, you're getting the 4/3rds frame cropped out of the centre of the 35mm frame (assuming a 35mm format lens design) when using FF lens designs on 4/3rds (Note that this isn't just adapted lenses, many of the Sigma 4/3rds mount lenses are actually 35mm FF designs).

barjohn

I thought I would post some fun pictures shot from an airplane, through the window. These are shots of Southern California's inland empire. I was landing at Ontario airport and flying in alongside the San Bernadino Mountains. For those that have never seen this part of Southern California, about 1.5M people live in the area. You are seeing only a small part of it and houses go on forever in every direction. All were shot with the kit lens at either 45mm or 14mm max aperture and ISO 100.

Last edited:

barjohn

Finally here are some crops from the 14mm files. I had to recompress the compressed files so you get quite a few artifacts from the compression in order to get unde the 244KB file limits.

Last edited:
W

wblynch

Nice pictures.

The California 500 is coming up in a couple of weeks !!

We went two years ago and I got lots of great pictures. Didn't have a 4/3 camera then. Had to use a Nikon.

I thought I would post some fun pictures shot from an airplane, through the window. These are shots of Southern California's inland empire. I was landing at Ontario airport and flying in alongside the San Bernadino Mountains.

For those that have never seen this part of Southern California, about 1.5M people live in the area. You are seeing only a small part of it and houses go on forever in every direction.

All were shot with the kit lens at either 45mm or 14mm max aperture and ISO 100.

barjohn

I need to get a polarizer, especially when you try those arial shots. The windows are a little cloudy too so both effect image quality.

T

terryc

This is Trevor a "street magician" on Vancouver's Robson St. These were shot with G1 and the 45-200 zoom. I really like the lens.

Best regards Terry.

scho

This is Trevor a "street magician" on Vancouver's Robson St. These were shot with G1 and the 45-200 zoom. I really like the lens.

Best regards Terry.
Great portraits Terry. I continue to be impressed with the performance of the two Panny kit lenses for the G1. Really sharp.

Regards,
Carl

T

terryc

Great portraits Terry. I continue to be impressed with the performance of the two Panny kit lenses for the G1. Really sharp.

Regards,
Carl
Thank you Carl,

I agree with your assessment. I quite like shooting with both lenses, especially the size of each. I hope we see the 20mm and short zoom soon!

I have the Nikkor 80-400 and it is a monster compared to the Panny 45-200 and is much slower focusing. One thing for sure, is the G1 for certain applications is IMHO the right camera.

Best regards. Terry.

back alley

terry, what applications in particular would you say the g1 is suited for?

i quite like it for shooting on the street.

joe

kevinparis

Not a G1 !!!!!!!!!!!

OK got a new/old lens today... my first ebay purchase - about 50 dollars of what looks to be wonderful

Nikkor 50/1.4 on a oly 510 at iso 800

Last edited:

barjohn

I find it puzzling that some users complain that it is not a fast action camera because the viewfinder blanks out during writes. Often, these are M8 users. The M8 shoots at a maximum of 2 fps versus 3 fps for the G1 and if the subject is moving there is no way you can achieve 2 fps while refocusing as the subject moves toward you. The AF of the G1 will keep the subject in focus and while you temporarily may lose the subject in the VF, if you hand hold like a P&S using the LCD you can easily see both the subject and keep tracking and shooting using the AFC to keep focus.

Clearly a true OVF DSLR has less blackout and this is an area that Panasonic needs to improve. The day will come when EVF beats OVF in every aspect. Blackout will be minimal, resolution will be very high with smooth full motion and the image light intensification will be good enough to see in virtual darkness with only starlight for illumination or a true infrared illumination that won't be in the visible spectrum. Having used special forces night optics I know what is possible and this is still a long way from what we are capable in the military. The technology will trickle down.