The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Options for reach (tele)?

greypilgrim

I rented a 100-300 panny this weekend and was disappointed in how soft the corners were at 300mm. I would have to do more tests, but I returned the lens, so that will have to wait for another day.

I have a 200mm nikkor f4, but it does not perform well which was surprising to me.

My best solution (sadly) so far is a 70-300 f4-f5.6 nikkor. The "D" version, not the VR version. Surprisingly, the "D" version outperformed the VR version for me. Manual focusing this lens isn't a whole lot of fun given the ring size and placement.

So, I am looking for suggestions as to other possible, reasonably lightweight lenses with reach. The Oly seems to not get a whole lot of love and is expensive. There are no m43 tele primes so far. the 45-200 which I also have is not horrible, but it doesn't make the hear go pitty-pat, either...

I am more than happy to MF, so suggestions as to that end would be welcome. I'm interested in anything in the 200mm f4 to 300mm f5.6 range without breaking the bank or my back (a 300mm f2.8 being right out :)).

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Doug

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Oly 50 - 200 and their 1.4 Tele Extender....

Both are their High Grade Series and you will need a 43 to m43 adapter.

The combination is lightweight and results are stellar.

Michael at Lula did a review of his lenses for m43 and he mentions the 50-200. Worth a read.

Bob

greypilgrim

Oly 50 - 200 and their 1.4 Tele Extender....

Both are their High Grade Series and you will need a 43 to m43 adapter.

The combination is lightweight and results are stellar.

Michael at Lula did a review of his lenses for m43 and he mentions the 50-200. Worth a read.

Bob
If you mean the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 ED, not strictly lightweight (2.2 lbs) and a tad pricey ($1200 B&H, so assuming that is list price).

But it does look like a nice lens.

Doug

dhsimmonds

As always, much depends on what subjects you intend to use it for and typical light available.
The Oly 300/F2.8 used with a 1.4 converter will provide you with a cracking good lens with long reach in poorish light. Much favoured by birders and sports photographers.
Warning though....it is expensive!!

Tullio

I suggest the Oly 4/3 70-300mm (with an adapter, which Rainbow imaging now offers for less than $60 shipped from NY). It is not a "compact" or "small" lens but it's sharp. The only problem is, it does not have IS, so if your camera is a Panasonic, shooting at 300mm handheld becomes a bit tricky. I don't get bothered by soft corners when it comes to zoom lenses because as you zoom in 600mm, the main subject is usually centered anyway.

greypilgrim

I should have mentioned that I'm shooting with an OM-D, so lens stabilization isn't an issue. Image quality, weight, and price are of interest and will have to be balanced. I am not opposed to MF.

If I am shooting "wildlife" then center sharpness is indeed paramount, but I tend to do less of that and more of landscape shooting. When shooting landscape, I work a lot on tripod.

Doug

Jeffg53

I don't know about with a TC but 'like molasses' is an apt description for a 43 lense on an OM D. I have the 50-200 and 14-35 and they are both slow. Apparently, it's a CDAF/PDAF issue. I can live with it for the image quality but I wouldn't want to try AF for wildlife with it.

colyn

I use the Minolta MD 70-210mm f/4 lens via a fotodiox MD to micro 4/3 adapter. This lens produces outstanding image quality both on its intended film camera as well as the 4/3 camera..