The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

another travel question...

doc4x5

I shall be traveling to New Zealand soon for my daughter's wedding and a couple of weeks of touring with friends. We're staying on the North Island this time, having done the South Island on our last trip. On that trip I brought a GF-1, the 20 f/1.8, and the 14-45. I also brought my D700 and the 24-70 and 70-200, both 2.8's. I used it all and was pretty happy with the results. One photo was published in the newspaper, another has just been chosen for a juried show (both were made with the Nikon). We did not do any really strenuous hiking on that trip and may or may not on this one either. I used the Nikon for "serious" work and the Panasonic for "snaps."

I am asking for and have been getting a lot of advice on what to bring this time. I now have an Olympus OM-D. One option is to fill out the m43 lenses and get the 12-35 and 35-100 Panasonics, and leave the Nikon, now a D800E, and its heavy lenses at home. The other is to take my OM-D, the 20, the 45, the 14-45 AND the Nikon with the two zooms. It will be expensive to buy the two zooms, and somewhat duplicative of the zoom range I already own for the Nikon.

I love both systems. I suspect asking a bunch of strangers, even a group of excellent photographers, such a personal question may seem bit silly, but I am hoping for some "aha" comment that will push me toward one or the other path.

In any case, this is my conundrum, not a terrible problem in light of the worlds issues, but I will need to decide.

Thanks for any wisdom any of you can send my way.

Eric

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This is personal, but when travelling, I use m4/3 almost exclusively. My choice would be to take the OM-D with the two lenses you have and add a wide angle (12mm f/2.0 or 7-14mm f/4.0) and one longer lens (35-100mm f/2.8 or 75mm f/1.8).

biglouis

It's the camera you have with you that takes the shot. If your mobility is increased by using the m43rds system then you have your answer.

LouisB

Paratom

Maybe it doesnt make sense but I would bring both, and then decide on a dayly basis which one to bring.

Wedding of the daughter and New Zealand would be definatly reasons for me to bring the camera with the best IQ I would have.
If you bring only one my choice would be the Nikon. You can do big big prints from it,
the camera has a great and fast AF, more room for shallow DOF, better high ISO, better flash system (could be a plus for the wedding).
And IMO, as long as one is not doing big big hikes I dont see the weight/size as a problem.
The OMD has the davantage that its great for movie as well-maybe something interesting for the wedding.

You could carry the Nikon and your wife the OMD ;)

Tullio

I face a similar dilemma every time I go on long trips. Not only I end up taking both the m4/3 and the Sony DSLR gears, I also take a 20x zoom P&S. Most of the time, my G3 and EPL1 do the job and the P&S gets a lot of use as well. The Alpha on the other hand, gets relegated to the hotel...it's too big and heavy to carry around particularly if I'm planning to do a lot of walking. So, I'd leave the Nikon behind as I'm starting to leave the Sony behind.

Godfrey

For me, joy in traveling is achieved by carrying as little gear as possible. Last big trip I took the GXR and three lenses. Next big trip, I'll likely carry the M9 and a similar set of three lenses, or maybe just two and stuff a medium format folder in the bag for a totally different look and feel.

Those, plus the iPhone and the iPad mini, will be more than enough in terms of photo related gear.

G

4season

If I had a D800, how could I resist taking it! But the 2 heavy zooms, maybe not so much. I'd be tempted to try going "Leica-Style" with just a couple of primes not too large or heavy. Looking at Nikon's current offerings, something like the 35/2 and 60/2.8 Micro-Nikkor perhaps. I'm not an ultra shallow DOF type of shooter, and tend to do most of my work @ f/5.6 or thereabouts, hence the faster f/1.4 speeds would be mostly dead weight to me.

Although this pared-down approach might sound too limiting, as many a new Leica user has discovered, simplicity can be a joy: Less internal noise, more pure joy of just shooting.

doc4x5

Thanks for the input. I have made a decision that I believe will work for me. I am taking the Olympus OM-D, the 20 f/1.8, 45 f/1.8, and the 14-45 zoom. Also I am bringing the D800E, the 24-70 f/2.8 and the 70-200 f/2.8. If I hike, I'll leave the Nikon with my daughter; if I am doing "serious" work, I'll use the Nikon system. I recently did some work with the Nikon and a variety of lenses and the image quality is not to be believed, duh! While the Olympus is a superb instrument, it's no Nikon D800E. When I return, I'll put up a comment telling everyone what worked well and what did not. Fortunately I am NOT responsible for the wedding photos :)
Eric