The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Viability of a Leica M4/3rd camera

Terry

back on subject... the fact that people have to add bits to their M8 just goes to show it was a poorly thought out design

K
So, they do have Apple "Kool Aid" in Paris :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

It's so funny about design....now when I look at my 6 month old MBP all I see are the seams along the edges and think its not the unibody version. I do find it amazing how Apple continually refines its product design. I did read an article about why Steve Jobs should be hired to run one of the ailing auto companies.

monza

back on subject... the fact that people have to add bits to their M8 just goes to show it was a poorly thought out design
I dunno, I think they just tried to make a digital M. I guess that makes the M a flawed camera, too. :)

The new Leica lenses are seriously flawed as well, because they are so expensive. They'd be perfect if I could afford 'em. :)

Riley

i think its quite odd that Leica wont be in this, but are you sure ?

in a recent interview written in September with Panasonic staffers they had the following to say

tspore: With the lack of Leica on the lenses, fuels the belief that Leica and Panasonic have had a break in partnership over the last 6 months or so. IS that true and/or why are the new lenses missing the Leica badge?

Panasonic: Not at all. We are continuing our very fruitful relationship with Leica. Leica lenses for the Micro Four Thirds standard will be coming in the future. The reason for using LUMIX G lenses is because the G concept targets a very wide range of users, particularly the entry level users.

monza

The full Q&A is here: http://fourthirdsphoto.com/G1/05.php, although this doesn't address the µ4/3 Leica camera body viability question.

Regarding an Apple car, the first version wouldn't have GPS and would be slower; you'd have to wait a year for a later version with those. :)

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
cindy/terry

I will tell her when she is awake :) She is reahing for the 1st coffee of the day right now.

peace out

K
People have been adding bits to their M's going back to the M3 and the rewind knobs.

As for gripping it, no problem, just a Lugi case....:)

In some 40+ years of mucking around with sail boats, sports cars, cameras, firearm and computers, I've never seen a design which always met all the users needs or requirements fully. Which is why there are after market products.

A

asabet

I'm not too excited about using Leica M lenses on m43. You pay 5x the price to have a lens that is at least twice as heavy, and then you throw away almost 75% of the light. It's like putting your Hasselblad lenses on an APS-C Canon, fun but not very practical.

I would like to see Leica and Panasonic collaborate to make some high quality m43 primes, and I expect that they will.

Last edited:

fordfanjpn

I'm not too excited about using Leica M lenses on m43. You pay 5x the price to have a lens that is at least twice as heavy, and then you throw away almost 75% of the light. It's like putting your Hasselblad lenses on an APS-C Canon, fun but not very practical.
On the other hand, for those of us who have an M8 and some M glass, the idea of being able to use those lenses on the G1 is very exciting. Can't wait to get my adapter. :D

Bill

A

asabet

On the other hand, for those of us who have an M8 and some M glass, the idea of being able to use those lenses on the G1 is very exciting. Can't wait to get my adapter. :D

Bill
I'm not saying that it won't be fun. If I had a G1, I'd put my M mount lenses on there as well, just as I stuck my OM glass on an E-420. I just imagine that for most M8 users, once the novelty has worn off, the M glass will be on the M body and the m43 glass on the m43 body.

monza

I don't consider it a novelty...as I sold my M8. :)

Sure would like some reasonably priced µ4/3 primes, Leica or otherwise. So far the only one for sure is the 20/1.7. How about a 12/2? :) One can dream...

jonoslack

Kevin and anyone else trashing the M8
I've been reading this thread, and thinking about the blanket criticisms of the M8 . . . and I've been mulling it over for a couple of days in Aberdeen.

First of all I though - 'well, Kevin is an industrial designer, maybe it is rubbish, and I just don't realise'.

Then I thought to myself that I have two bodies, one which I've had for 2 years, the other for about 20 months, and I've taken 50,000 shots with them, and I love shooting with them . . . . and I don't add on grips or straps or whatever, until I had one upgraded recently, I shot them 'as is'. I love them, I find them ergonomically lovely, and artistically, they disappear . . . which is what a camera should do (IMHO).

So then I think - well, maybe I'm simply not critical enough, and having spent that money I don't want to admit that I've bought a lemming

Then I think . . .Hang on! I just spent a lot of dosh on a D3 / D700 / 14-24 . 24-70 / 105 macro / 70-300 and various Zeiss ZF lenses this year, and I didn't like:
the colour
the handling
the obsessive complexity.
the files.

. . . .and what did I do . . . I sold the lot, but the M8 bodies stay, and I still love them.

So, what gives - when you guys dismiss the M8 in a few short words, is it because
1. I'm stupid
2. you're stupid
3. you haven't used it enough
4. different folks like different strokes.

Of course, it's 4 - you don't have to like it, but then, the terms you use to issue your dismissal, are not 'Well, I've had a go, and I didn't think it was that great personally'. It's that it is a bad design.

After much thought I've decided that my acceptance (qualified by the obvious rider that it might not be for everyone); does not need to bow down to other people's total dismissal.

So, if you're reading this thread, and you've been thinking you might like an M8, and then you read that it's clearly a poor piece of design (period). Here is me saying that two years of photography with it says that it might be different for some people.

One of the great things about these forums, is that there is very little trashing of equipment . . . I like that!

Finally Kevin - I think your 4:3 photos are great, I've been enjoying them without reservation, I think your better half is a dream, and I really hope you don't take this personally!

jonoslack

I'm not saying that it won't be fun. If I had a G1, I'd put my M mount lenses on there as well, just as I stuck my OM glass on an E-420. I just imagine that for most M8 users, once the novelty has worn off, the M glass will be on the M body and the m43 glass on the m43 body.
The proof (of course) will be in the pudding. I have to say, if it isn't good with those leica lenses (I still fancy my 75 f2 as a 150 f2 - even with the expanded depth of field). The the G1 won't last long.

A

asabet

The proof (of course) will be in the pudding. I have to say, if it isn't good with those leica lenses (I still fancy my 75 f2 as a 150 f2 - even with the expanded depth of field). The the G1 won't last long.
Yes, I didn't mean to dampen anyone's enthusiasm. Sorry if I came across that way. It may work out very well. I would have highest hopes for the 35mm or longer, fast lenses, as these are likely to offer something unique in result.

fordfanjpn

I think we've already seen from Vivek's posts that the G1 is capable of some very nice quality with M glass on it. I know I'm looking forward to it. And it will be interesting to compare the G1 to the M8 too. I'm sure it won't be long before those of us who have both will be posting some comparisons.

Bill

cjlacz

So, if you're reading this thread, and you've been thinking you might like an M8, and then you read that it's clearly a poor piece of design (period). Here is me saying that two years of photography with it says that it might be different for some people.
I've been wanting one every since I read about rangefinders. They are just way out of my price range right now so I'm hoping for some m4/3s cameras and lenses to keep me satisfied. I'm glad I haven't picked up any other lenses for my E-510 yet.

jonoslack

jono

no time for a full reply at this moment... but great post

no offense taken and I truly hope none delivered

K
Thank you!
I woke this morning and thought . . . "bollocks - over the top again" - so it's great to see your reply.

I'll look forward to a spirited rebuttal later!
:)

kevinparis

Jono

you have the perfect excuse - having to be be in Aberdeen AND doing computer demos in December is enough drive anyone to misery and despair :) .... I at least arranged that my last demo of the year is in Cairo next week :)

jonoslack

Wow! Cloning is a wonderful thing.....

At 66, I´d be more than happy to get another body myself....:ROTFL:
You need to think hard about this before going ahead Per. I've had terrible trouble remembering where each body is . . . it was bad enough with one, let alone many!