The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Iceland travel problem ...

hsteeves

so, I'm booked to go on a photo workshop to Iceland at the end of September. And now its the gear question. Without a spouse, no kids and having been married to my job, I have acquired a few cameras. I could go over with the Nikon FX stuff or a combo of Pentax645D/OMD. I like the 4/3rds ratio but have a lot of Nikon lens coverage. I love being able to walk around with a small bag for my OMD especially as that job marriage thing has already seen one hip replacement ... On the other hand, I think FX is the most versatile format out there and it would fit the possible big prints thing along with the 645D ... Maybe I should just shoot film.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm off to Iceland in a couple of weeks myself and have a similar dilemma.

The way I'm rationalizing the fact that I can't fly over with a Land Rover full of gear is to decide what my intentions are while I'm there. Is it to take in the scenery and shoot some nice images along the way or is it first and foremost a dedicated photography workshop that will get you in the right place at the right time to capture the very best of Iceland and produce a set of wall-hangers when you come home?

For the former, light and versatile is the best choice. For dedicated photography where you'll kick yourself for going light or portable, it probably makes most sense to take your favorite best quality gear, or at least gear that will not be a compromise as far as final image quality is concerned.

In my own case a big part of the trip will be capturing the northern lights and low light photography. That in itself pretty much mandates taking my Nikon FX gear for those reasons alone. However, for landscape and environmental work I'd rather take my MF digital outfit (Alpa) and Fuji X-Pro1/X-E1 combo. I'd like to take all three but being practical it'll probably only be the Alpa & Nikon D600. I know that I can shoot it all well with my Nikon gear but I really don't enjoy using it. I love shooting with my MF gear but it is abysmal at high ISO night work. The Fuji does an OK job at everything but is outclassed by the Nikon for low light/high ISO and the MF gear for landscapes and great light. That sucks.

Good luck with your choices. You have my sympathy.

bradhusick

I have been to Iceland twice - once with a Canon 1Dm2 and lenses and once with an OM-D and three lenses. My OM-D shots were just as good, and 90% of the time I used the 12-35 pana f/2 lens (24-70 effective). The other 10% I used the pana 35-100 f/2 (70-200 effective). Having the small OM-D was a pleasure when climbing in and out of vehicles while wearing Winter clothing.

Once I slipped on an icy slope and crashed down on my butt, but I was able to bend my wrist up just enough that the camera never touched the ground! I could not have done that with a full size DSLR.

By the way, on the most recent trip I wore a wool coat from Filson (here in Seattle) along with their fingertip-less wool gloves and it was perfect for shooting. The coat was toasty warm without all the bulk of high tech stuff.

So, leave the full frame stuff at home and go light!

http://www.getdpi.com/gallery/files/4/3/geysir_bubble_top.jpg
http://www.getdpi.com/gallery/files/4/3/geysir_explode.jpg
http://www.getdpi.com/gallery/files/4/3/dsc_0308_2_crest_hill.jpg

Both times I was in Iceland it was too cloudy to see the Northern lights. But I did photograph them in Fairbanks, Alaska. Canon 1DSm2, 16mm f/2.8, ISO 400, exposure 25 seconds.

http://www.getdpi.com/gallery/files/4/3/2a5w0815_fix.jpg

Jeffg53

I went to Iceland in 2011 and took my H4D 40. I'm going back in June but with an OM D this time. Travelling 20 000 kilometers with MF gear is a pain in the butt, as is lugging a 3 series tripod on the inevitable hikes. The OM D is so light that I can get away with a 2 series and D4 which fits into a suitcase easily. All the restrictions set by airlines these days make taking a tripod in a separate bag a problem.

It makes the travel so much easier. My carry on which included all my gear was challenged in Dubai on the way home. I'm too old for that sort of grief.

16 to 40MP is quite a hike but I know that I will enjoy the whole event more.

hsteeves

my workshop is about getting to locations at the best time. We will be driving for the first day down to the south-east corner and then working our way back. After the workshop, I was thinking of staying for an extra week to go north driving myself around. Being from Saskatchewan, Canada, I'll take summer clothes ... :)

bradhusick

The roads in Winter can be really dangerous. Lots of black ice, etc. Be careful.

If you're heading off unguided, consider renting a sat phone for emergencies.

Last edited:

David Schneider

I've been to Iceland before and will be there for a couple of days at the tail end of a trip to Europe next month. Leaving my Hassie H3D2-39 home, leaving my Canon 5Dmk2 home, taking Fuji X-E1, 14mm, 15-55mm, and vintage Nikon 100mm f2.8 and adapter. (If the 55-200 was out I would have taken that instead of the Nikon 100mm). I'm not even taking a camera bag; everything fits easily in my Scottivest jacket. Yes, there will be a few images I wished I have the MFD and times I wish I had my Canon 70-200 f2.8II. But there will be times I get some images because of the lightweight, constantly ready X-E1. It was the best compromise between size and quality. Images are equal to Canon 5dmk2 and the whole kit weighs the same as the Canon 70-200.

Shashin

The 645D/OMD combo sound ideal. There is no such thing as the wrong lens and more choice does not mean a better choice.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I would go meanwhile with Nikon FX alone or if it needs to be really compact with OMD.

hsteeves

I'm thinking perhaps 645d and 35A/45-85/80-160/150/300 with OMD/12-35/35-100/17 or D800e&D600 with 14-24/24-70/70-200(f4), 28-105 walk around. I have this Sirui tripod that reverses and holds a healthy amount. On the workshop, early morning/late evening trips will be common.

Shashin

I would think for the 645D, the 35mm, 45-80mm, 150mm, and 300mm. The OMD with just the 12-35mm.

hsteeves

after two months in Mexico, tomorrow I start heading home. First to Calgary and a couple of snowy days in the mountains and then off to the flatlands. I have been using my extensive OMD system down here. I brought the kitchen sink. And even had friends bring me more lenses(sometimes knowing camera store managers is a good thing) The OMDs did everything I asked of them (I wonder if I can stick them under a tap to wash the salt spray off) except the fast moving subject thing and I considered a lot of ways of trying to get AF for that. But, and it may just be a personal interpretation, I like the tonal rendition of bigger cameras. This and the big print size are my reasons for looking at carrying the D800e or the 645D.

Terry

Just got back from Iceland about 12 hours ago. I took OMD (2 bodies) 7-14, 12-35, 35-100, 25, 14-150. I used all but the 25mm. I only brought 14-150 for time lapse in case I wanted to shoot those on one tripod and needed the same focal length for stills.

I like having a light kit.

Last time I used Sony A900.

You will see photographers with every type of equipment. The landscape can be so vast you will probably shoot a number locations with a long lens so make sure you include one. When I was shooting puffins I used long focal. At the glacial lagoon wide angle can be really important.

Be prepared for the cold. Working in some of the locations the temp feel is deceptively cold. ,

jsnack

Hi Terry...are the Iceland photos on your site from this trip? If so, I'm impressed to a new level with the OMD.

Terry

Hi Terry...are the Iceland photos on your site from this trip? If so, I'm impressed to a new level with the OMD.
No, they aren't up yet. Those were from last trip. They were mostly Sony A900 with perhaps some E-P1's thrown in. I will try to add to the Iceland gallery soon. No sooner had I landed in NY I needed to head out to San Francisco. This weekend I will do some processing. I will post the shots on this forum as well.

hsteeves

Terry, I would be very interested in hearing how you would compare the use of your Sony equipment to the OMD while in Iceland.

Jeffg53

Terry, how go the new Iceland images? I'm still wrestling with whether I take the H4D or the Olympus. I would love to hear how the OM D behaved in Icelandic weather, and any other thoughts on it as a travelling kit.

Love the OM D as I do, I still miss the 40MP at times, particularly when a crop appeals.