The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OMG it's an OMD! New to the party...

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
So I just got one of these - and really like it! I don't like the EVF, but I love the controls, the touch OLED, the general feel and layout of the camera. With it set to MF and the rear Fn button set to AF it feels and works just like a camera should! But I do have a few questions...

Is there a way to change the MF throw of lenses? Like 2/3 rotation in normal, and something a lot more sensitive in magnified view?

Can it do low-light fill flash? It seems to insist on setting the shutter speed to 1/80 no matter what in A mode.

Does anyone have a lead on a hood for the Panny 20/1.7? Preferably plastic - metal dents while rubber is just too flimsy and does nothing to protect the lens. I know I can get a step-up ring, say 46 to 52 and then a black screw-in hood, but that's kind of clumsy. It's a lovely lens, but it needs a hood...

Anyway, this camera is way cool and I can see why so many really love it!

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Heh, well I'm frequently slow on the uptake... :p

Figured out the flash "Slow" (like me :)) setting makes it work as expected, and "Slow2" is 2nd curtain sync. Except of course there's no curtain in this camera, but it seems to simulate it nicely and making it coincide with the end of the exposure. Flash @ -1.0 EV added to any regular exposure adjustment (there's a setting to make them add up) looks good. It could perhaps even be -1.3V I think.

Snapped a bit with the 45/1.8 at 1/10s f/1.8 ISO 200 and it looks pretty good!

Are flash units interoperable among m43 cameras as well?

dhsimmonds

Jan, most of the Panasonic flash guns are badged Olympus anyway!

I have the Olympus FL 600R and it's a very good flash unit. I think that all the Oly units are wireless, so very flexible in off camera positioning.

Congratulations on joining the ranks of OM-D users.....better late than never to use this gem of a small camera system.

Panasonic lenses work fine on the OM-D but use the Oly IBIS rather than the lens IS...they all have switches to facilitate this and IBIS is so much better!

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
More dumb questions...

Is there a way to make the rear Fn button focus using C-AF instead of S-AF? The former would be infinitely more useful when on a separate button!

Is there a way to get a DSLR-like preview on the LCD?

wryphotography

More dumb questions...

Is there a way to make the rear Fn button focus using C-AF instead of S-AF? The former would be infinitely more useful when on a separate button!

Is there a way to get a DSLR-like preview on the LCD?
I just took a look at my OMD, I didnt see anyway to set that button to C-AF I did see B-FN1 button to do one of your "my sets" which i would assume you could set your AF to CAF with.

What do you mean DSLR-like preview? do you mean live view? Or do you mean with the histogram etc?