The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

waiting for olympus?

back alley

both adapters?

i have an sd card around here somewhere and an extra battery is a standard buy, it comes with a battery though, yes?
joe

monza

Well of course, you'll need the 4/3 adapter, so you can use all your Nikon F, Contax/Yashica, Olympus, Pentax, and Leica R glass, not to mention Leica and Olympus 4/3 glass :)

back alley

Well of course, you'll need the 4/3 adapter, so you can use all your Nikon F, Contax/Yashica, Olympus, Pentax, and Leica R glass, not to mention Leica and Olympus 4/3 glass :)
ah, i see. ;)

i think i'll stick with the one from gandy.
(better go get on his waiting list quick)
i can't wait to stick my 21 or the 50 sonnar on it.

joe

back alley

ok, great!
just bought the g1 and asked to be put on the adapter wait list with cq.

what to do with my sony a300 now?

joe

cam

ok, great!
just bought the g1 and asked to be put on the adapter wait list with cq.

what to do with my sony a300 now?

joe
oops! just when i was going to defend the Epson R-D1 (to the death Vivek!)...

seriously, my boyfriend keeps on telling me about the adapter and how i'm going to end up with one of these, yada yada (another digital RF hater). maybe so, maybe so.... but not yet. i didn't quite like the way the G1 felt in my hands and i want to see what Oly comes up with first.

then again, this may be the only time i've ever shown restraint... i look forward to your thoughts. more importantly, enjoy!!!

jonoslack

oops! just when i was going to defend the Epson R-D1 (to the death Vivek!)...
Hi Cam - I was going to defend the M8 as well, but in the face of Vivek masterly knowledge, I knew it was useless :):p

seriously, my boyfriend keeps on telling me about the adapter and how i'm going to end up with one of these, yada yada (another digital RF hater).
He certainly is (a digital RF hater) - we had a long 'discussion' about it recently . . . I think it was an honourable (and friendly) draw, but it was certainly big!

maybe so, maybe so.... but not yet. i didn't quite like the way the G1 felt in my hands and i want to see what Oly comes up with first.

then again, this may be the only time i've ever shown restraint... i look forward to your thoughts. more importantly, enjoy!!!
Let's hope that the Oly will be the bridge we all want - it would be great if it had sensor IS as well, so that one could use those RF lenses with it!

jamriman

Ok well it looks like I'm going to be the odd ball here. I posted a thread on the LUG forum and asked a similar question. A G1 or an R-D1 for a back up M8? Jeez! The tread went so far off topic it was comical. I did get some good feedback though and decided to go with a used R-D1. As an M user, the M8 is the only digital camera (aside from a little cool Fuji for my 6yr old) that I own. I was always curious about that camera and really like the idea of a manual shutter cock lever. I grew up on film cameras as far back as the Canon A-1 and miss their sold construction and simplicity when it comes to the new digital menu driven complex cameras.
The review of the G1 luminous landscape really turned me off with respect to the EVF. I really like simplicity and love the bright VF of M cameras. Of course the pixel count on the G1 blows away the R-D1. I'll keep up with you G1 wizards for the latest and try to get to B&H to see a G1 in the flesh in the meantime. I got a good deal on the R-D1 so I can always sell it favor of a G1 if you wizards convince me. Thanks!

jonoslack

I got a good deal on the R-D1 so I can always sell it favor of a G1 if you wizards convince me. Thanks!
The R-D1 is a lovely camera . . . I always regretted selling mine, but when I went to buy another it was . . . . more than the list price I think! (that was about 6 months ago).

It's a thing of joy and wonder, with all those dials, the cocking mechanism.
The G1 is in a different league (cheap, plastic, smartass). But it works well, and I think many of us feel that it's pointing the way to the future.

Don't be persuaded to sell it, but the G1 is as cheap as chips, so maybe you'll be tempted to have one of those as well?

back alley

the m8 is out of my budget and will likely remain there barring an inheritance or lottery win. i added a dslr to my kit while still keeping my rangefinders and the transition was painless and even fun.
the g1 , even with adapter, will be cheaper than the rd1 and have a warranty to boot.

and it offers some of both worlds to me, the ability to shoot with the kit lens, auto focus, aperture priority and spot metering - all my favourites - and i can use my zeiss m lenses also. when an oly body comes along and if it is closer to a rf experience then i might get that one too.

and who knows, maybe a great deal on an rd1 will present itself while i have room on my c.c.
stranger things have happened.
joe

jamriman

Don't be persuaded to sell it, but the G1 is as cheap as chips, so maybe you'll be tempted to have one of those as well?
Jono, Your putting bad thoughts in my head! It would solve the problem of having no SLR system though.....Thanks (I suppose):^)

monza

Jono, Your putting bad thoughts in my head! It would solve the problem of having no SLR system though.....Thanks (I suppose):^)
Well, not to pick nits here, but how does having a G1 solve that problem, since it's not an SLR? :grin::D

antara

Looking for a less expensive G1 from a personable and reliable vendor? Try Contact Photo Arts in Canada. Priced below $600 when I bought mine + 3 day shipping and warranty good.

Good luck!

Antara