The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The adapter has arrived

fordfanjpn

My adapter came this evening. I haven't had time to do anything with it yet, but I was asked to post a couple of pics of it when I got it. So (hopefully), here they are. Sorry for the lousy quality. I was in a hurry.

Bill

Last edited:

fordfanjpn

Quick shot

Sorry I don't have something more interesting, but I wanted to take a shot of something with the Summicron 50, so my guitars volunteered to pose for me. This was a 6 second exposure at f/16. The weather should be nice here tomorrow so I should be able to get out and get something a little more interesting.

Bill

Last edited:

jonoslack

Oh! You lucky thing! I'm jealous.

looks as though it works okay, how far can you stop down and still focus easily?

Henry Goh

May I ask (I'm totally ignorant about 4/3 cameras) if this adapter lets you use Leica M lenses on the G1? Is there any focus indicator or fully manual? Can I use my 75mm Lux on this? Where do I go to buy an adapter? Wow so many question and yet I have a dozen more if you guys would oblige me. Thanks.

fordfanjpn

Last one for today

I got a little help from the wife and took a quick flower shot with the G1 and Summicron. This will have to do for today, it's time for this old guy to hit the sack. Looking forward to shooting with the M glass tomorrow.

Bill

Last edited:

fordfanjpn

Oh! You lucky thing! I'm jealous.

looks as though it works okay, how far can you stop down and still focus easily?
If you have a lot of light, you can stop down all the way and still see what you're doing. I was shooting in very low light, so I had to open up a bit to focus and then stop back down.

Bill

fordfanjpn

May I ask (I'm totally ignorant about 4/3 cameras) if this adapter lets you use Leica M lenses on the G1? Is there any focus indicator or fully manual? Can I use my 75mm Lux on this? Where do I go to buy an adapter? Wow so many question and yet I have a dozen more if you guys would oblige me. Thanks.
Yes, the shots I posted of the guitars and flowers were taken with a Leica Summicron 50/2. The adapters are available from a few places. You can find more info in this forum. I believe the 75 Lux should work, as long as the back end doesn't extend beyond the adapter by too much. Again, see the threads in this forum. One last thing, the 75 will effectively be a 150 on the G1.

Bill

Henry Goh

Thanks Bill. I'll go and find more info because I want to shoot with my Leica lenses agin but refuse to pay the big bucks Leica is asking

V

Vivek

Bill, Thanks for the pics of the adapter! The rear side shows that this is a high quality adapter (I have not seen the Novoflex one). That little black disc (thin aluminum or plastic?) is very very important and takes care of the shiny metal parts (RF coupling and other bits) and the reflections thereof from the Leica mount lenses (this is a major headache leading to loss of contrast and even occasional color fringing and the like).

Your test shots already illustrate that it is a good one! :)

Oh, another aspect of the rear ring is that it addresses the compatibility question of Leica lenses.

If a lens fits the adapter then it won't cause any troubles with the G1's shutter! :)

Clever design! :)

monza

This one looks nice, it will be interesting to compare the 'other' two that will be arriving soon.

scho

Very nice shots Bill. How do the G1/Summicron files look compared to the M8/Summicron?

fordfanjpn

Very nice shots Bill. How do the G1/Summicron files look compared to the M8/Summicron?
Thanks. That's one of the things I want to find out myself. The different crop factors will complicate things a bit, but I am curious to see how the G1 sensor compares to the M8 sensor. As soon as I can do some comparison shots, I'll post my findings here. And I'm sure I won't be the only one doing that, so things should be getting interesting.

Bill

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
LOL get in-line Bill it is a loooooooooooooooong one. I have spouses that throw rocks at me for spending there play money on camera's there spouses bought.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

fordfanjpn

LOL get in-line Bill it is a loooooooooooooooong one. I have spouses that throw rocks at me for spending there play money on camera's there spouses bought.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
In that case Guy, the next time I buy something, I'm going to tell my wife that it's your fault! So if you ever make it to Tokyo, better be prepared to dodge some Japanese rocks. :grin:

Bill