The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M5 IBIS and non-native zooms

f6cvalkyrie

Hi !

IBIS of the E-M5 is fabulous and allows me to use lenses I couldn't use on the Panasonic cameras before. Like the Nikkor 180/2.8 ED that was virtually useless on the G1 / GH2 but does fine on the E-M5

However, how do you handle the setting of the focal length for the IBIS when you are shooting with an adapted zoom lens ???
I'm looking at the Nikkor 80-200/2.8 I have, and ask myself all the time which focal length I should dial in ... when using the lens at different focal lengths all the time ... the shortest ? the longest ? something in the middle ??

How do you guys (and dolls) handle this ?

C U
Rafael

Knorp

Hi Raf,

I'm afraid I didn't give it much thought, just entered the longest length.

Kind regards.

k-hawinkler

Doesn't that lead to excessive overcorrection at 80 mm and with it some reduced stability? Similarly, entering the closest value to 80 will not permit IBIS at 200 mm to compensate forcefully enough. Or is the logic the other way around? :confused:

greypilgrim

I use a 75-150 series E, a 70-300, and some other combinations. Typically, when I am using the 70-300, I am doing so for reach, so I have it racked out to 300 or near 300. In that case, I keep it at 300 as the set focal length.

With the 75-150, it is somewhat different, and I tend to set it at one of three settings (low, mid, high). Usually i remember to change it ;-).

The rest of the non native lenses I use are primes, so those aren't an issue for me.

Doug

f6cvalkyrie

Thanks for your answers !

I've used the 80-200/2.8 during last weekend.
Setting the IBIS for 80 is definitely not the way to go : image in the viewfinder becomes very shaky once you are above FL 135mm.

Setting for 200 is best at the longer end of the range, but also generates "jumping" in the viewfinder at the shorter end ...

So, I just put in the middle (135mm) which seems acceptable in most cases. I might evt change to 200mm when shooting at the extreme long end, if I don't forget it, and if I have the time ...

C U,
Rafael