The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The G1 in low light conditions

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I don't know Brian -- I don't use LR since I find it to be bloated LOLOLOL! I thought most CS plug-ins now worked in LR and if so then I don't see why DFine wouldn't. I imagine you can run it in trial mode and find out.

Amin

I'm finding about a slightly more than 2-stop difference in detail relative to noise when comparing the G1 and the Nikon D700.

A couple examples, processed in Raw Developer with noise reduction disabled:

Last edited:

Terry

Interesting....which color is more true to reality? I'm looking at the reds in particular.

Also, were your other settings the same (aperture and shutter)?

Amin

Hi Terry, I'm not sure which has the more accurate color in this comparison. For the sake of testing with an equal depth of field, the G1 lens was set to f/5.6 and the D700 lens to f/11. To match the angle of view of the D700 35mm lens, I had intended to set the G1 lens to 17.5mm but accidentally chose 16mm. At any given ISO, the G1 shutter speed was manually set to 4x the shutter speed of the D700 in order for the two cameras to have the same overall exposure in each comparison.

monza

According to the Popphoto.com tests, the G1 scores the highest in color accuracy. And with regards to noise, if I read the Popphoto chart correctly, their results were ISO 6400 (D700) = ISO 800 (G1) (Chart posted by barjohn in this thread.)

barjohn

Here are some ISO test shots done in daylight. Starts with ISO 3200, then 1600, 800, 400, and 200. All converted from raw in LR with default settings. I left off ISO 100.

Last edited:

Ben Rubinstein

Again that iso 1600 looks very good relative to the 3200, reminds me of my 5D which has an incredibly useable 1600 and a horribly ugly 3200.

I'm still going to pass on the G1, waiting for some pocket sized equivelents, but it does look very promising.

Brian Mosley

Hi Amin,

Merry Christmas! I take it you finally caved in and got the G1 then? :grin:

Just don't restrict yourself to the lumix kit lens - the G1 deserves a lens adapter!

Kind Regards

Brian

Amin

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Brian!

I haven't caved... yet :D. My dad was visiting for Christmas, and I shot some quick tests with his G1. If and when I do get a G1 or othe m43 lens, I will definitely get adapters for Four Thirds, Nikon F, and Leica M ;).

monza

Just make sure you get a black one. They focus faster and have better low ISO than the blue or red ones. :)

These comparisons are useful, moreso than charts and numbers.

Some might find this link interesting as well. It was posted on the L forum regarding quantitative noise comparisons: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/noise.htm

Amin

If anyone would like to play, here are the RAW files from the ISO shootout I did between the D700 and G1 -> LINK.

There are four zip files there:
D700 RAW 1-3.zip contains ISO 200, 400, and 800 D700 files.
D700 RAW 4-6.zip has ISO 1600, 3200, and 6400 files.
G1 RAW 1-3.zip has ISO 100, 200, and 400 G1 files.
G1 RAW 4-6.zip has ISO 800, 1600, and 3200 files.

Last edited:

peterb

John, I think you put Pop Photo to shame! You're more thorough than they are!

Monza, how on earth did you determine the black model focuses faster than either the red or blue one? Also, thanks for the useful link!

And, Amin, Guy (and anyone else who hasn't succombed to this camera's charms), the G1 beckons....bwhaahahahahahahahahah..

Happy Holidays to all,

Peter

peterb

John,

Looking at your color charts again, maybe I'm seeing things but at 3200 and 1600 the 'noise' reminds me of the grain I used to see in Kodak's old 800 and 1600 T grain color films. I'd been shooting at 400 or less but now I'm going to explore some higher ISO's just for the effect of it.

Peter

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
If anyone would like to play, here are the RAW files from the ISO shootout I did between the D700 and G1 -> LINK.

There are four zip files there:
D700 RAW 1-3.zip contains ISO 200, 400, and 800 D700 files.
D700 RAW 4-6.zip has ISO 1600, 3200, and 6400 files.
G1 RAW 1-3.zip has ISO 100, 200, and 400 G1 files.
G1 RAW 4-6.zip has ISO 800, 1600, and 3200 files.
These are very, very useful - thanks. This has sold me.

barjohn

I forgot to mention that those were shot before the firmware upgrade. There was some comment about improved noise reduction in the latest firmware and I haven't compared the two.