The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The G1 in low light conditions

Amin

Hi Amin,

what are your conclusions from the test?
Hi Peter, my impression is that for any given G1 ISO, the D700 has similar detail relative to noise at four times that ISO. The Nikon file has slightly less noise, but perhaps also slightly less detail when compared this way.

It's about what I would have predicted given that the D700 sensor area is four times greater and suggests that the sensor quality per unit area is similar between these two cameras.

These are very, very useful - thanks. This has sold me.
I'm glad they were helpful, Woody.

One thing you may notice is that using Lightroom or CS4, the G1 barrel distortion is automatically corrected, just as it would be with an in-camera JPEG. This adjustment cannot be disabled. Raw Developer leaves the barrel distortion intact, giving one the option to leave the wider angle of view that comes along with the distortion.

Unfortunately, the Adobe DNG converter only gives the option of converting to a linear DNG with the barrel distortion correction applied, meaning that any DNG produced from a G1 file has gone through a demosaic process with the corrections irreversibly baked in. As such, I wouldn't recommend converting G1 RAW files to DNG for archival purposes, during Lightroom import or otherwise.

Last edited:

barjohn

Ok guys and gals, here is some more info to chew on. First, the Nikon D90 at ISO 3200.

Last edited:

barjohn

Next, I ran the D90 and the M8 at ISO 3200 through Raw Image Analyzer. One of the things you can check for is for raw pixel clipping. The M8 clips on every channel but especially on red. By the way the M8 shot was taken with a UV/IR filter. First the Leica pixel clipping view for each channel R, G & B.

Last edited:

barjohn

Next the Nikon D() at ISO 3200, each channel for clipping. With the last image being the M8 at ISO 1250.

Last edited:

barjohn

Here is the G1 at ISO 3200 from the JPEG, followed by the JPEG converted to grey scale followed by the raw converted to grey scale. No other processing.

Last edited:

peterb

Maybe it's me but the noise at 3200 on the G1 isn't as bad as I thought it might be (unless I look at images with a magnifying glass). The noise looks kinda grain-like.