The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

File Numbers Questions

peterv

Hi all,

just downloaded some photo's to my Mac.
Strange thing is the firts 10 had file names like this:
P1000001
Than, after 10 or so the file numbers were like this:
_1000010

The "P" was gone and replaced with "_"

After 20 photo's the P came back only for about 20 files, and than the _ again.

I reset the file numbering but no P... Only _xxxxxxx file numbers.

The files themselves are just fine, so I'm not worried.
Just wonder what's going on.
Is it a Mac/Finder thing? Or something in the camera I accidently switched on/off?

Thanks and again, Happy Holidays!

Terry

I'm not sure on the P vs _. I just went into my files and see the same thing. I have some that are P and others that are _. I will try and play around a bit.

I'm not sure on the P vs _. I just went into my files and see the same thing. I have some that are P and others that are _. I will try and play around a bit.
I think it has to do with the colour space selected (underscore for Adobe RGB and P for sRGB). Even if one shoots raw all the time, this selection affects the file names.

The really confusing thing is that even if you set Adobe RGB and never change it, the camera still reverts to SRGB for some modes, e.g. iA, and some (all?) of the "scene" modes. And so you get this unholy mix of file names....:(

Martin S

Thanks Per, and others.

I have two images with the P prefix, and the rest in underscore. I must have shot some in SRGB b4 I changed to Adobe RGB.

Again, thanks for the explanation.

Martin