The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

JeffGreene

Greetings all! Although I joined shortly after Sean Reid's discussion of small sensor digitals on Rangefinderforum some time ago;this is my first post here. After seeing Joe (Back Alley) and Cindy Flood (familiar names from RFF)I figured I should introduce myself. The G-1 images posted are impressive. Does anyone have any information on when the new Olympus micro 4/3's version dummied up at Photokina is due out. I have been saving for a Canon 5D Mk II, but after seeing much of the imagery here with the G-1 have been seriously reconsidering. There were some comments made about shortcomings with respect to portraiture. I've seen some striking people images here which would seem to contradict the latter comments. Vivek is an excellent, knowledgeable ambassador for the micro 4/3 platform. My only digitals at this point are an RD-1 and Panasonic LX-2. At present I have been able to resist the G-1, but as current owner of a fair bit of Canon, Voightlander and Leica glass am weakening. People here seem friendly. I look forward to spending more and more time here.

Respectfully,

Jeff Greene

Terry

HI Jeff Welcome. I haven't heard anything about the Oly but the good news is that we are coming up on PMA. I would expect that Oly has to make some sort of announcement about where they are on MFT sometime in January.

back alley

hey jeff!

the g1 is one cool little machine.

i'm salivating waiting on the m adapter.

the kit lens tests out pretty good from the reviews that i've read and the few shots i've taken around the the old homestead.

looking forward to some shooting today, maybe on the avenue.

joe

monza

PMA isn't til March, unfortunately. How long does it take to start with a machined aluminum brick concept, into full production? I guess we'll find out!

Terry

Wow,
I didn't realize PMA was so late this year. Last year it was a whole month earlier starting Jan 30th. In any event the panny version of MFT is pretty small. I start to worry about the ergonomics if you get too much smaller.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Jeff, Welcome! I'm glad to see you here.
I agree with Terry. The G1 is just a nice size and I doubt I could put my Summarex on a body that was too much smaller (and still have good ergonomics.)
I just got my adapter two days ago, but it looks like it is going to be so much fun putting my LTM and M lenses on the G1.

barjohn

Welcome to the club. I am a new member too and this group seems to be a nice group to belong to.

The Oly does appear to be much smaller and my instinct is that I would not want too much smaller. Also if it lacks either an optical or EVF and only has the LCD for framing and focusing it would make it a non starter.

I really like the ability to chimp via the EVF without taking the camera from my eye as well as the ability to change setting, again while looking through the viewfinder.

Santa brought me the 45-200 lens today and I was surprised at how big and heavy it is. I also got an FL36R flash and I like the way it can be used as a slave flash triggered by the camera's flash.

The other interesting aspect of the EVF is its light amplification ability. I can walk in a room that is so dark I can barely see anything and look through the EVF and see as if it was 2 or 3 stops brighter (albeit a grainy image). I find it focuses very quickly even in the dark room. I would like a mod that lets you adjust the EVF brightness but it isn't critical.

Enjoy!

monza

It will be interesting how closely Oly adheres to the Photokina concept.

A digital Pen F would be pretty cool, but it probably would not have an articulating LCD or an EVF. I don't know how well it would work out, to hold up the camera at arm's length compose; it would make manual focus assist somewhat more difficult for me. And would there be room for in-body VR?

I don't think I would get the Oly if it used a point & shoot style LCD, even if it had VR. Now if Oly made a G1 clone with VR, that would be the ticket.

Oh, and welcome Jeff! I'm here less than a month myself. It's a very friendly place, compared to other locales. :)

barjohn

Monza,

Good point! That would give VR to all the Leica and CV glass. Still, I wouldn't want to give up a viewfinder.

monza

Yep, I might have thought differently before actually using the G1, but for me the LCD/EVF takes precedence over VR.