The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic 45-200 question

peterv

If these are 100% crops, would you have been able to see that in the VF? Interesting.

I'm not as interested in this lens to start with as the kit lens and going to wait for the 20 f/1.7 and maybe look for a good 3rd party, but I've been seeing a lot of shots on other forums and hadn't seen this phenomenen but I doubt similar circumstances have come up in those shots.

Diane
Hi Diane,

I think that this could have been seen through the VF, or at least on the LCD. (if only I had taken the time to watch closely :)

Again, I'd like to emphasize that this phenomenon has nothing to do with this particular lens. It would have occured on other lenses too, under the same atmospheric circumstances.

Now as for the motion blur and shallow DOF, I hope to be able to some more testing today, or tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Peter

Diane B

Hi Diane,

I think that this could have been seen through the VF, or at least on the LCD. (if only I had taken the time to watch closely :)

Again, I'd like to emphasize that this phenomenon has nothing to do with this particular lens. It would have occured on other lenses too, under the same atmospheric circumstances.

Now as for the motion blur and shallow DOF, I hope to be able to some more testing today, or tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Peter
Yes, thanks, I understood that from the thread--but still interesting. I've never seen it (I don't shoot in the desert like Guy LOL).

I'll be really interested in your further tests. I've been wondering if this is a lens for me--I rarely carry my 70-200 for the 5D--so I might be better off with a fixed longer and faster lens--but seeing what others get with it will help decide. There's something to be said about having a smallish zoom when one needs it.

Diane

Terry

Yes, thanks, I understood that from the thread--but still interesting. I've never seen it (I don't shoot in the desert like Guy LOL).

I'll be really interested in your further tests. I've been wondering if this is a lens for me--I rarely carry my 70-200 for the 5D--so I might be better off with a fixed longer and faster lens--but seeing what others get with it will help decide. There's something to be said about having a smallish zoom when one needs it.

Diane
the 45-200 is about the size of the lens shade for the 70-200. I did not buy the Nilon version becuase I just couldn't see myself ever wanting to carry it.

Shac

Peter - were there any restuarants/cafes with heated outdoor patios? It seemed like in some images, the "shimmer" effect was highest near places with canopies.

peterv

Peter - were there any restuarants/cafes with heated outdoor patios? It seemed like in some images, the "shimmer" effect was highest near places with canopies.
Hi Shac,

no restaurants or cafes. Just freezing air, intense sunlight and a long lens :)

Cheers,

Peter

O

olyinaz

Definitely heat currents in the air (highly localized changes in air density thus the refractive index or the air - I see it all the time in the desert and also in aviation) are visible in the shots but the other item I noted is that the lens was wide open no? It's a good lens (good value in other words) but still, you're going to get some dreamy softness (when viewed at 100%) when wide open at certain focal lengths from an inexpensive lens such as this. Just thinking "out loud". :)

Cheers,
Oly

barjohn

I can definitely tell the difference between a far distant shot with the lens set to 200mm and a closer shot. Since it is effectively a 400 the effect of the atmosphere at a distance is increased making the image softer. I will post some samples to illustrate. The first is the full image and then at 100% crop. The first set taken about 100 yards away and the second about 25 yards away.

Last edited: