The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With The E-P5

scott kirkpatrick

Just picked up my E-P5, but Capture One doesn't yet see the raw files so for the present, I save both JPG and ORF output. This one is a jpeg, lightly corrected in IrfanView. E-P5 bodies by themselves are now available, the VF-4 is a big improvement over the quite acceptable VF-2, and the front and rear control wheels are a big improvement over the tiny 4-way rocker switch on the back of the E-PL5 for setting aperture and exposure offset. A quick comparison:

That's the 12/2.0 on the E-P5 and the 45/1.8 on the E-PL5.

scott

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Scenes from a wedding

Just a standard wedding here in Israel. One of my students is the groom, from an academic family. Lots of (klezmer) music and dancing, plenty of photographers and videographers, so I just snapped a few. It would probably be pretty orthodox in the US, but mainstream for an observant religious couple here. A huge crowd, dining and dancing until late:

Mazal Tov, Benjy and Michal!

scott

monk

More California Wildflowers

Taken on top of the Oakland Hills, above Highway 13. Love that 45mm.

Last edited:

limbonaut

Heavily cropped - didn't want to get close to this guy. The prey appears to be a yellow jacket.

Last edited:

jonoslack

A Question to you lovely EP5 people
Does focus peaking work with third party lenses?
because there was an implication from the camera store review of the em1 that it doesn't.

Lots of lovely snaps here

Thanks in advance

scott kirkpatrick

A Question to you lovely EP5 people
Does focus peaking work with third party lenses?
because there was an implication from the camera store review of the em1 that it doesn't.

Lots of lovely snaps here

Thanks in advance
I believe it does. Will check with some Leica R gear later today. But I haven't learned to like it yet. It's pretty distracting.

scott

scott kirkpatrick

"Manual focus assist" on the E-P5 and subsequent models...

I was wrong on this. Here's how it works. In the E-PL5 (newer than the E1-M5, older than the E-P5 and the coming E-M1), "MF assist" means that when you set things up as SAF (stills autofocus) with M optional override, manual assist if turned on will magnify focus by 10x if you move the focus ring on a M43 lens (hmm, have to check with the non-Olympus 25/1.4 PanaLeica). On the E-P5, there are two manual focus asists, magnify and "edge enhancement", which we know as focus peaking. You choose one. It works, although I find it overly enthusiastic. So I strapped on my Leica R to M43 adapter and attached an 80/2.8 MacroElmarit. Switched the E-P5 to MF. No edge enhancement, because of course, how does the camera know that I am moving the R-focus ring?

The manual doesn't suggest a way to get full time edge enhancement, and the LCD on my P5 is cracked and useless. This was a result of the same fall that put my left hand in a cast for a month, but it still takes pictures as before, using the VF-4 finder. That was all 800 exposures ago. So I can't explore deep in the menus to see if there is an undocumented way to get full time edge enhancement for MF-only lenses. It will be interesting to see if focus ring detection works for an E-1-3-5 lens when attached with the MMF-3 adapter, which has electrical contacts.

scott

PS: if by "third party," you mean Panasonic, edge enhancement works for the 25/1.4 in both S-AF/M and in M focus modes.

jonoslack

Re: "Manual focus assist" on the E-P5 and subsequent models...

I was wrong on this. Here's how it works. In the E-PL5 (newer than the E1-M5, older than the E-P5 and the coming E-M1), "MF assist" means that when you set things up as SAF (stills autofocus) with M optional override, manual assist if turned on will magnify focus by 10x if you move the focus ring on a M43 lens (hmm, have to check with the non-Olympus 25/1.4 PanaLeica). On the E-P5, there are two manual focus asists, magnify and "edge enhancement", which we know as focus peaking. You choose one. It works, although I find it overly enthusiastic. So I strapped on my Leica R to M43 adapter and attached an 80/2.8 MacroElmarit. Switched the E-P5 to MF. No edge enhancement, because of course, how does the camera know that I am moving the R-focus ring?
Thanks for this Scott - the camera shouldn't need to know if you're moving the focus ring - if you strap an R lens on the M then it still works (as long as it's switched on). I guess there would need to be a 'full time' setting or something.

Thanks anyway
All the best
Jono

scott kirkpatrick

Thanks for this Scott - the camera shouldn't need to know if you're moving the focus ring - if you strap an R lens on the M then it still works (as long as it's switched on). I guess there would need to be a 'full time' setting or something.

Thanks anyway
All the best
Jono
Apparently for the E-M1, full time focus peaking is available, according to Brian Mosely's posts. It's possible that the E-P5 can do this as well, but I won't know, until I give it some time for LCD therapy...

scott

jonoslack

Hi There Scott - Ouch - but worse to have damaged yourself.
I seem to have nabbed an E-P5 . . . impulses are terrible.
. . . .and yes - you can allocate peaking to the function buttons so that it works with third party lenses.
. . . . I also nabbed a 60mm macro - I've no idea why I hadn't got one before, what a lovely lens!
Bracken with the 60 macro​

scott kirkpatrick

I seem to have nabbed an E-P5 . . . impulses are terrible.
. . . .and yes - you can allocate peaking to the function buttons so that it works with third party lenses.
. . . . I also nabbed a 60mm macro - I've no idea why I hadn't got one before, what a lovely lens!
You'll enjoy your E-P5, I suspect. It feels more Leica-like in the hand than the E-M5 or E-M1 and successors will. It doesn't attempt to project the Gunsmoke authority of a real DSLR six-shooter, with a battery-holder you can wrap your fingers around and big AF lenses to point in people's faces.

I've stayed away from the 60 macro so far. A colleague has one I might borrow, but with the R-60/2.8, focusing manually wide open, I can get stuff like:

I like the background, which reminds me of the canyon walls you see in pictures of Anasazi ruins (but it is just the side of our house).

scott

Last edited:

jonoslack

Hi Scott
I have the R 60 2.8, which is great on the M, but cumbersome on the OMD (haven't tried it on the Pen yet).
I suspect that the awful truth of the Zuiko 60 macro is that I hadn't bought it because it's so cheap!
But it has a nice bokeh and focuses very fast. CDAF and 'mashing' the shutter works very well with the lens for hand held macros - it opens the shutter as soon as it's in focus.

Anniversary Rose

jonoslack

Well, I'm really enjoying the E-P5, the locking viewfinder and the increased resolution makes all the difference to previous Pens. There really isn't much difference to shooting the OMD, and the differences there are seem to be for the better. I'm thinking it'll be a perfect backup to the E-M1.

Here are a couple of shots from this morning (before it started to pour with rain).

Chilli and Garlic (60 macro)

Concentration (75-300 Zuiko)

Old Rose and Scarlet string (60 macro)

Godfrey

I don't know how the M recognizes that an R lens fitted with adapter is changing the focus setting. I'm sure it looks at the RF coupling to determine whether an M lens is changing focus setting ... what would tell it that the R lens focus ring is moving?

But anyway, I just looked at the E-P5 manual (I'm studying the E-M1 manual at present, I have both ...). Peaking works the same in both cameras. With a Micro-FourThirds/FourThirds lens, it determines that the focus ring is moving and enables focus assist if you have it turned on. With a non-dedicated lens, you should assign peaking to a function button, which then acts as a toggle: peaking is on when you press and stays on until you press again. I'm pretty sure there are other functions that will cancel it, I haven't read the whole manual yet.

In the past, I found that having the auto-assist function turned on for manual focus was somewhat distracting, especially with longer lenses, as the assist function was magnification only. I got annoyed when the FoV was constantly jumping around between normal and magnified, so I disabled the auto-assist capability even with dedicated lenses and enabled it manually when wanted.

Peaking is different, however. The auto-assist mode will work with that, once you get used to the flickering haloes when the focus ring is moving, or just leave it on most of the time with manual lenses.

The M.Zuiko 60 Macro looks wonderful. Stop showing me more lovely results like that ... I don't want to spend the money just right now. ;-)

G

scott kirkpatrick

Godfrey, you're right -- I had also turned off manual focus assist in the E-PL5, and in the E-P5 manual, "choose manual focus assist" is not too far down the table, while "assign manual focus assist to a button" is at least two pages further down, and requires too many button presses to be done blind, without a working LCD, (I will use the Fn button on the E-P5 or the E-M1 for focus peaking, since I have manual focus assigned to what is usually the video start/stop button to keep the video from starting when I don't want it.)

An interesting question is whether it is better to shoot handheld macros with AF or with focus peaking. I usually do this by rocking back and forth once almost in focus to get the nicest foreground and background balance. Of course, if there is a ladybug front and center, you know what to focus on. But I am looking forward to getting FP working.

The E-P5 has flown off to the clinic in Portugal for repair, so I took out the E-PL5 with a Leica R-60/2.8 to compare our Middle Eastern thistles and thornbushes with Jono's recent posts. Our foliage is a bit different. More on this in two posts after dinner.

scott