The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

raist3d

It looks fantastic
But . . . I think the $10,000 question is whether the sensor is as good as the Sony sensor in the OMD and the other new Olympus µ43 cameras. . . . . and whether the IBIS is as good as the Pen EP5 . . . If those are 'yes' then I'll be in the queue too.

all the best
I can already answer on the Ibis- no, it won't match the pen5/omd. But personally I think I is can be quite overrated unless you are shooting a lot of tele (and I mean a lot) or you do hav a very shaky hand issue. But a better question is would a small improvement matter? I would take ergonomics + evf over slightly better ibis any day.

On the sensor- yes- that the big question.

- Ricardo

ggibson

It looks fantastic
But . . . I think the $10,000 question is whether the sensor is as good as the Sony sensor in the OMD and the other new Olympus µ43 cameras. . . . . and whether the IBIS is as good as the Pen EP5 . . . If those are 'yes' then I'll be in the queue too.
Well I believe sources have already revealed that the IBIS won't operate during video, similar to other 2-axis m4/3 implementations. Too bad. Stick to stabilized lenses for video, I suppose. At least it has 60p native.

The sensor question is certainly still up in the air though. At least we know that the GX7 doesn't have an AA filter, so it will likely just barely out-resolve the other 16MP m4/3 offerings.

retow

Ticking all the right boxes. And yes, the sensor will have to live up to expectations created by the OMD. But if it does, it`s the first ILC compact body which includes all the goodies one wants these days.

greypilgrim

For me, I'm not sure I see enough compelling improvements over what I get with the OM-D to consider a move. Perhaps as a second body, but not necessarily over another OM-D.

It's unlikely the IQ will be that much different. Focus peaking and the tilt viewFinder are a plus IMO, but the IBIS (while a nice add) is unlikely to be as good.

Now, had the GX-7 existed when I was considering the OM-D, that would have been a different matter for me indeed.

Doug

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The no AA filter is alone worth the upgrade IMHO. All my experiences with cameras without AA filter (D800E, K5IIs) are great, they just simply out-resolve easily their AA filter equipped counterparts. And moire has very seldom been an issue for me.

Plus size, plus built in high resolution EVF and IBIS add to this nicely.

Godfrey

Ultrasonic Sensor cleaning.
Hirez EVF, with tilt
LCD with tilt
New generation 16Mpixel sensor
IBIS
Compatible with several lenses I already have.
Choice of excellent Olympus, Panasonic/Leica, Voigtländer prime lenses.

Yeah, it's got the features. The sensor is still the question mark ... Not that I think it will be bad in any way, just how compatible it is with my M lenses for adaptation is the question.

I was looking at the preview again. The GX7 shape seems to me to be something of a return to the Panasonic LC1/L1 ergonomic model ... Nice grip, flat top, side-located viewfinder eyepiece. I liked the L1 a heck of a lot.

And it's darn pretty. ;-) I'll be watching it...

G

raist3d

Well I believe sources have already revealed that the IBIS won't operate during video, similar to other 2-axis m4/3 implementations. Too bad. Stick to stabilized lenses for video, I suppose. At least it has 60p native.

The sensor question is certainly still up in the air though. At least we know that the GX7 doesn't have an AA filter, so it will likely just barely out-resolve the other 16MP m4/3 offerings.
Actually the GX7 does have an AA filter. The "no AA filter" was a rumor. Nowhere in the specs of Panasonic or marketing materials they mention it is as-less. You bet they would be trumpeting that if it was. On the good side- better video.

- Ricardo

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Actually the GX7 does have an AA filter. The "no AA filter" was a rumor. Nowhere in the specs of Panasonic or marketing materials they mention it is as-less. You bet they would be trumpeting that if it was. On the good side- better video.

- Ricardo
Panasonic always used weak AA filters in their SLR/mirrorless cameras, so it's no big deal.

Godfrey

Question is: How well will it AF with the dear old PanaLeica 14-50mm :p
Not a big issue for me as I no longer own one. My two remaining FT lenses are the ZD 35 Macro and ZD 11-22. The Oly E-PL1 runs them fast enough in AF mode for me, I'm sure the GX7 will do as well.

I'm more interested in the Oly, Panasonic/Leica, and Voigtländer mFT primes.

G

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Very interested in the new Leica 1.2 42 mFT lens. If this is as sharp as the Leica 1.4 25 mFT, then I have already great part of primes I am looking for.

Add to that the new 1.7 20 and maybe the Oly 1.8 75 and this is it!

Would like to test if this combos are as sharp as the K5IIs and Pentax limited primes - which I fell in love unfortunately a few weeks ago :)

ggibson

Ah, that's true, I haven't seen any official mention of it either way. The no-AA rumor was announced with the rumor that the sensor was Panasonic (which seems to be true), so I assumed both were true.

Well, anyways all the talk about sensors doesn't amount to much once we can see some real images out of the camera and compare to what we already have. Which, coming from Panasonic could be quite a wait. :rolleyes: The new OMD will probably be announced by then and I'll have another option to consider. :p

raist3d

Panasonic always used weak AA filters in their SLR/mirrorless cameras, so it's no big deal.
Well, there is still a difference, if minor (maybe) but there is. Whether it makes a real difference to someone it's up to them.

I really want to see how the sensor performs.

- Ricardo