The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

Godfrey

You guys are right, I guess I'm the only one that wanted a simple, XE1 style M43 body and quite frankly, you've made me ashamed of myself, for wanting such a silly thing. Silly me.
It sounds like the G6 is what you want. Why carp about the design of the GX7?
Or, given Panasonic's model proliferation, if the GX7 sells well, just wait for the GX6 ... a simplified model with fewer features. ;-)
Minolta did the same with the A2 ... their next model elided the tilting viewfinder to reduce cost.

G

clay stewart

Yes, and thanks Robert. I haven't posted on forums much in the past few years, so I guess I forgot, that you can't say what you really feel, without repercussions.:)

hot

Soooo, batteries for GX7 arrived :p
PATONAs are full okay.

Now I need a gooood dealer for GX7 ... hmmm, noooo preorder - I am not crazy!

Haha, pleading for 10x price :D ... Lumix batteries "Made in China"

Weltweit jährlich ca. 30-40 Fälle von explodierten Nicht-Original Akkus

Akkus minderer Qualität enthalten im Gegensatz zu den original Panasonic Lithium-Ionen Akkus oftmals
keine Schutzvorrichtungen. Bei Verwendung entsprechender Akkus kann es zum einen zu Überhitzung,
Auslaufen oder Explosionen kommen, zum anderen aber auch zu Schädigungen an den jeweils
verwendeten Geräten. Im schlimmsten Fall sogar zu Verletzungen des Anwenders (z.B. Verbrennungen).

Die Hauptursache für derartige Vorfälle sind Kurzschlüsse in der Akku-Zelle. Die Mehrheit der Kurzschlüsse
wird durch Außeneinflüsse (z.B. fallenlassen des Gerätes) hervorgerufen, die die Funktionalität der schlecht
verarbeiteten Akkus gefährden.

Panasonic analysiert jeden einzelnen berichteten Fall

Panasonic analysiert JEDEN EINZELNEN berichteten Fall von explodierenden Lithium-Ionen Akkus.
In ALLEN bisher bekannten Fällen von explodierten Akkus handelte es sich nachweislich um Nicht-Original
Akkus (entweder Fremdanbieter oder Fälschung), deren Schutzfunktionen nicht den internationalen Standards
entsprachen. Panasonic empfiehlt daher ausdrücklich die Verwendung von Original Panasonic Lithium-Ionen Akkus.

Panasonic weist ausdrücklich darauf hin, dass die Verwendung von Akkus minderer Qualität zu Sach- bzw.
Personenschäden führen kann. Panasonic übernimmt keine Haftung für Schäden jeder Art, die durch die
Verwendung von Nicht-Panasonic Li-Ionen Akkus entstanden sind.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
You guys are right, I guess I'm the only one that wanted a simple, XE1 style M43 body and quite frankly, you've made me ashamed of myself, for wanting such a silly thing. Silly me.
You are entitled to say what you want, but speak on behalf of yourself, not "most of us". Also, if you think the X-E1 is a better camera, it might be a good idea to buy that one instead of complaining about the Panasonic.

Godfrey

Yes, and thanks Robert. I haven't posted on forums much in the past few years, so I guess I forgot, that you can't say what you really feel, without repercussions.:)
Big repercussion :: people disagree with your point of view. Sheesh.

G

clay stewart

To be honest, it feels like I'm in the midst of a group of tag teaming, playground bullies, around here. I've spent enough money on Panasonic cameras over the past few years, to voice an opinion about it, without having to be told to go buy something else, or get hello kitty cam or be told that I don't know what a rangefinder and a rangefinder like camera is or that I'm carping. Sheesh.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
To be honest, it feels like I'm in the midst of a group of tag teaming, playground bullies, around here. I've spent enough money on Panasonic cameras over the past few years, to voice an opinion about it, without having to be told to go buy something else, or get hello kitty cam or be told that I don't know what a rangefinder and a rangefinder like camera is or that I'm carping. Sheesh.
I often feel the very same here in my country .
"Why didn't you buy this or this camera" ? ? ?
I have decided to get a LUMIX G1 many years ago , and I did not regret that . I don't let others or even dealers tyrannize me any more .
Pixel peepers and pedants will never be happy with any camera, they will always find something to moan about .
But those are the people which always have quick suggestions .

Brian Mosley

Clay, you should know that many more people read these posts than dare to speak up. I can't see any need for friction here - how hard is it to allow others to voice a personal opinion?

I can remember, many years ago reflecting that getdpi felt like an oasis of positivity, and to be fair that's still the way it is for so many old friends knocking around here.

Be kind :)

Brian

Godfrey

I said what Jurgen said, 'Speak for yourself, you're not speaking for me.' I simply don't like it when people express their own desires as representing mine.

You can dis the GX7 any time you want. But don't state it in a way that implies you're echoing other folks' likes and dislikes, that's all. It's rude.

G

clay stewart

So someone says "most of us" and people get bent out of shape?

Quite the friendly forum.
Amen to that. It wasn't always like this, back when Guy first started this forum, with mostly FM people, it was very friendly around here, then people from DPR started showing up and brought their crabbiness with them and well, sadly, I don't hang out here much anymore.

monza

I'd venture to say that the 'most of us' comment is absolutely spot-on, whether some here will admit it or not. Most enthusiasts I know desire easy to use cameras with design simplicity. And enthusiasts are the very people who hang out in forums.

And it's not rude at all to express one's opinion. Certainly not like the 'snore' comments directed at me (since deleted by mods) in threads past by certain former DPR posters. :)

retow

Generally, this forum is a friendly place. But based on my observation, whenever a certain individual gets involved into a "discussion", things quickly deteriorate into a pissing contest.

dhsimmonds

It is not good to deviate an otherwise very legitimate and useful OP topic into a personal slanging match. Very bad form :scry:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'd venture to say that the 'most of us' comment is absolutely spot-on, whether some here will admit it or not. Most enthusiasts I know desire easy to use cameras with design simplicity. And enthusiasts are the very people who hang out in forums.
Most enthusiasts I know, including those on this forum, have too many cameras, complex ones as well as simple, functional ones. Many (most?) claim (me included :angel: ) that they prefer the simple ones. Maybe that's true, but we can be reasonably sure that Panasonic knows better than any of us what sells.

Most of use have little or no idea what camera most of us will buy next though. Except Louis XIV of course, since he claimed to represent all of us (L'Etat, c'est moi) (mostly the French, of course, which is not most of us and doesn't include me either, so he's probably off topic as well), but I believe he's dead.

I do mean that those looking for a simpler, more functional camera would probably be better off with a Fuji. No offense meant. I own several, although unfortunately none of the recent models, and they are all real photographers' cameras, while my Panasonics are all (except the L1) first and foremost tools of convenience.

Last edited:

hot

Generally, this forum is a friendly place. But based on my observation, whenever a certain individual gets involved into a "discussion", things quickly deteriorate into a pissing contest.
Pleeeease, no self-accusation !

jonoslack

Hi There
Well - I think the G7 looks great . . . except . . . . that I still think the OMD has a lot going for it - admittedly it's a little taller, but it's thinner, narrower and lighter than the G7, it's weather sealed, and it has really killer IBIS - and it's cheaper.

Added to which I still think the Olympus cameras feel like cameras. but of course, that's just me.

all the best

clay stewart

Most enthusiasts I know, including those on this forum, have too many cameras, complex ones as well as simple, functional ones. Many (most?) claim (me included :angel: ) that they prefer the simple ones. Maybe that's true, but we can be reasonably sure that Panasonic knows better than any of us what sells.

Most of use have little or no idea what camera most of us will buy next though. Except Louis XIV of course, since he claimed to represent all of us (L'Etat, c'est moi) (mostly the French, of course, which is not most of us and doesn't include me either, so he's probably off topic as well), but I believe he's dead.

I do mean that those looking for a simpler, more functional camera would probably be better off with a Fuji. No offense meant. I own several, although unfortunately none of the recent models, and they are all real photographers' cameras, while my Panasonics are all (except the L1) first and foremost tools of convenience.
I disagree. I think many of the enthusiasts, have been asking for years like maybe 10 or 12, on the forums, for a return to OM1/FM2 type and size cameras as well as small affordable rangefinder type bodies. Well, all the sudden the OMD, Fuji x100,100s, Xpro1 and XE1 come out and they sell like hot cakes. It only took the camera makers 10 years to figure out what a lot of us had known all along. So, no, I don't for a minute, think any of the electronics companies have a clue, most of the time. People in large corporations are still just people, they are not gods and to treat them as such thinking they know everything, only makes us into idiots.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I disagree. I think many of the enthusiasts, have been asking for years like maybe 10 or 12, on the forums, for a return to OM1/FM2 type and size cameras as well as small affordable rangefinder type bodies. Well, all the sudden the OMD, Fuji x100,100s, Xpro1 and XE1 come out and they sell like hot cakes. It only took the camera makers 10 years to figure out what a lot of us had known all along. So, no, I don't for a minute, think any of the electronics companies have a clue, most of the time. People in large corporations are still just people, they are not gods and to treat them as such thinking they know everything, only makes us into idiots.
Fully agree, plus we should keep in mind that decision makers in large corporations like Panasonic especially are NO PHOTOGRAPHERS in general. And so it takes even longer to iterate to a useable model for a photographer.

Having said that - I have the feeling the GX7 is coming pretty close to an ideal photographic tool - actually first time for Panasonic! We only can judge once the camera is really out and can be tested through its paces, but at least it looks very promising this time.