The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

V

Vivek

Difficult for me to consider buying one over the currently used NEX-6, despite the electronic shutter and the quiet mode. 1000€ on this while the FF NEX is just around the corner would make me look ridiculous.

I am happy to see the developments. Wish they introduced this instead of the GX-1, sometime time ago.

Godfrey

Difficult for me to consider buying one over the currently used NEX-6, despite the electronic shutter and the quiet mode. 1000€ on this while the FF NEX is just around the corner would make me look ridiculous.

I am happy to see the developments. Wish they introduced this instead of the GX-1, sometime time ago.
and the image stabilization?
and the excellent sensor cleaning?

i've been considering both the NEX 6 and the Pen E-P5, but put both on hold a couple of weeks back. this body is now on that same hold shelf and may indeed push me to a purchase in x number of months. i still have a small investiture in FourThirds and Micro-FourThirds gear so in some ways it's a sensible acquisitions.

i don't believe buying any camera would make one look ridiculous. all of what's available today is so good you just pick what you like and go for it. i use three digital formats now and swap easily between them...

G

V

Vivek

It is rumored that 5 axis sensor stabilization will be available in Sony NEX' soon. I am an excellent sensor cleaner myself.

The ridiculousness will not be due to lack of features but a dip in my wallet that has a finite space.

ggibson

It is rumored that 5 axis sensor stabilization will be available in Sony NEX' soon. I am an excellent sensor cleaner myself.

The ridiculousness will not be due to lack of features but a dip in my wallet that has a finite space.
If price is an issue, the $3K rumored FF-NEX is quite a stretch. Besides, I'd expect Sony will take quite a while to make a decent range of lenses for any system like that.

The NEX-6 is an awesome camera, and certainly the GX7 is no slam-dunk against it. Still, there are many reasons to prefer m4/3 as a system overall, so I don't think it would make one look silly to go for the GX7. If you're invested in the Sony system though, it certainly bears waiting to see the new 5T or 7N or whatever they'll be announcing soon.

hot

I am using NEXes and LUMIXes, both are excellent cameras - now I am waiting for GX7 .. I am not interested in FF cameras .. high prices & hot air. :D

Am I the only person around here bemused at the number of people placing orders for the GX7 before we know which sensor it contains?

Tony

retow

Am I the only person around here bemused at the number of people placing orders for the GX7 before we know which sensor it contains?

Tony
They all have decent sensors these days and thus other criteria have become more important for buying one over the other. At least the sensors don`t hold anybody back from making great shots.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The only thing notably lacking from m43 (in my humble opinion) is good AF. When visiting our daughter at camp, my wife said (about an OM-D with 75/1.8 lens) "This thing is so slow to focus. Why didn't you bring the Canon with the big white lens?":shocked::shocked:

Matt

Godfrey

The only thing notably lacking from m43 (in my humble opinion) is good AF. When visiting our daughter at camp, my wife said (about an OM-D with 75/1.8 lens) "This thing is so slow to focus. Why didn't you bring the Canon with the big white lens?":shocked::shocked:

Matt
What suits your wife and what suits me are two very different things.

Godfrey

We know what sensor it contains ... a new one. What we are not sure of yet is the measurement of its performance. However, since I am still quite happy with the performance of my ancient E-1's old 5Mpixel sensor, and every later camera seems to have an even more capable sensor, I'm sure the GX7 will perform well enough. :)

G

We know what sensor it contains ... a new one. and every later camera seems to have an even more capable sensor, I'm sure the GX7 will perform well enough. :)

G
I'm still using the GH2. I thought that Panasonic had overproduced, or overbought, that sensor (antiicipating sales to Olympus that dwindled rather than grew). Did I not read around here that all the newer bodies were using essentially the same sensor, albeit with evolving software?

Tony

Godfrey

I'm still using the GH2. I thought that Panasonic had overproduced, or overbought, that sensor (antiicipating sales to Olympus that dwindled rather than grew). Did I not read around here that all the newer bodies were using essentially the same sensor, albeit with evolving software?
I don't know what you read around here or what the GH2 sensor use has been across models, but Panasonic says quite clearly in their press release that this is a new design sensor:

from Popular Photography - New Panasonic Lumix GX7 and Leica Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 lens and official Panasonic Press Release

...Panasonic developed a new 16.00-megapixel Digital Live MOS Sensor for LUMIX GX7 that achieves both high resolution and high sensitivity image recording with minimum noise by utilizing cutting-edge Semiconductor Fine Technology to improve color saturation by approx. 10% and a redesigned on-chip lens that enhances light condensation to achieve approx.10% higher sensitivity. Noise generation is minimized in both pixel circuit and digital signal readout circuit for better S/N ratio by approx. 25% and detail reproduction by approx.10% compared to the LUMIX DMC-GX1, making it possible to capture clear images even in low lit situations. The image processor Venus Engine features advanced noise reduction systems, including Multi-process NR (Noise Reduction) and Detail Reproduction Filter Process, which enhances the limit resolution. The combination of the digital Live MOS Sensor and the Venus Engine achieves max. ISO 25,600. ...
It doesn't give much in way of technical specifications for the new sensor, but press releases never do.

Brian Mosley

Hi Matt, yes I was a little surprised by the focusing speed of the 75mm f1.8, but the quality seems to approach that of the sublime ZD150mm f2, which I never quite afforded for 4/3 rds but seriously desired for years.

The GX7 looks like a winner... Viewfinder in the right place, nice shape and I hope Olympus finally add focus peaking as a firmware upgrade to the E-M5 now everyone else has it!

Cheers

Brian

ggibson

Yeah, even though Panasonic called the G5 and G6 sensors "new" because they used partially updated parts, the output still stayed very similar to the GH2.

Now, with the GX7, Panasonic has again called it a "new sensor", but also provided some technical explanation of what is different: larger photo-diodes and a new noise-reducing electronic circuit, primarily. This seems to be at least a more substantial update in sensor technology than the G series was getting.

I think a lot of people recognize that while that GH2 series sensor performed well, the Sony sensors in the GH3 and most recent Olympus cameras has slightly better dynamic range and low-light performance. The oldest of these, the E-M5, is now nearly 18 months old so the big question is, will we see a step beyond even that? Or will it merely be similar to what we have now?

At the end of the day though... only the pixel peepers know for sure. The rest put in their early pre-orders and happily take pictures when the camera arrives, without a care for how the camera they didn't order would have performed. :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Yeah, even though Panasonic called the G5 and G6 sensors "new" because they used partially updated parts, the output still stayed very similar to the GH2.

Now, with the GX7, Panasonic has again called it a "new sensor", but also provided some technical explanation of what is different: larger photo-diodes and a new noise-reducing electronic circuit, primarily. This seems to be at least a more substantial update in sensor technology than the G series was getting.

I think a lot of people recognize that while that GH2 series sensor performed well, the Sony sensors in the GH3 and most recent Olympus cameras has slightly better dynamic range and low-light performance. The oldest of these, the E-M5, is now nearly 18 months old so the big question is, will we see a step beyond even that? Or will it merely be similar to what we have now?

At the end of the day though... only the pixel peepers know for sure. The rest put in their early pre-orders and happily take pictures when the camera arrives, without a care for how the camera they didn't order would have performed. :)
All the m43 sensor discussion and hype is getting really boring. There were 2 major achievements in the past years, the GH2 sensor (which was already 18MP and multi ratio) and the OMD sensor some 18 months ago. Never ever have we seen a real 18MP sensor on m43 format, which at least was the goal behind 43 when it was developed (more than 10 years ago).

I am sure with todays sensor and processing technology it would be feasible to produce an extremely well working m43 sensor in the range from 20-24MP. None of the tons of new m43 cameras hitting the street get even close to that range, but rather keep staying at 16MP and claiming better performance.

Come on Olympus and Panasonic, just get your task done and bring finally a sensor in the 20MP range, which is on par with what we know from the OMD with DR and high ISO performance.

I would not be surprised, if the new (to come) Pro OMD will have finally this new sensor.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Some more musings about m43:

Yesterday I had the chance to finally play with the new VF4 (on an EP5). I had very high expectations in the IQ I would see when looking through - at least after all the overwhelming reports - but I was badly disappointed. While the image you see is definitely larger that the one in the OMD, the quality was rather below the EVF of the OMD. Plus I had the impression that the colors were still a bit off.

So maybe the GX7 EVF is better this time and even more importantly shows better (more accurate) colors - at least we still can hope.

Other than that I only can say that for me all EVFs I have seen to date are not even coming close to an average OVF - PERIOD. I think that the OMD EVF is still the best, as although it does not have the largest magnification, it shows a "quiet" and not "nervous" image and is pretty accurate in colors.

Again high hopes here on the EVF from the GX7 .....

PS: the OVF of my K5IIs is miles ahead of all existing EVFs I could see so far (have seen pretty much all of them), not to speak of the OVF of the D800E!

I hesitate before posting this as I don't want to start a pixelpeeper war.

BUT

My experience of talking to photographers earning a living from their cameras suggests that they would prefer better high ISO performance to get more available light opportunities when they have had to use flash in the past. Plus the benefits of speed/aperture that optional high ISO brings.

Most are happy with the number of pixels they already own.

Tony