The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

monza

Agreed. A league of their own. Looking thru the OM-D EVF with an adapted long lens is an experience. Time slows down. :)

They net at least 3 stops and are IMHO a huge leap forward in image stabilization.
Three stops and possibly more is a staggering improvement. Are you just lucky or are all the users reporting this?

I have heard people talking of a stop or a bit more with IS. Three is amazing.

Tony

jonoslack

Three stops and possibly more is a staggering improvement. Are you just lucky or are all the users reporting this?

Tony
Hi Tony
We're all getting this - the IBIS on the EM5 is nothing short of astounding - and supposedly it's even better on the EP5 - If you want to use longer third party lenses it's a real winner (e.g. the 135 Apo Telyt makes a spiffing 270 f3.4!). The fact that (unlike most IBIS) it also shows in the viewfinder is the killer punch.
Godfrey - it's one of those things that you need to try to appreciate the use of it.

all the best

OK, jono. Thanks.

I have had the GH2 since it came out. No IBIS of course.

I like inbuilt EVF as I like to save my hotshoe for a flash.

Is it the EM5 that I'd swop to if I wanted to change bodies?

Tony

jonoslack

OK, jono. Thanks.

I have had the GH2 since it came out. No IBIS of course.

I like inbuilt EVF as I like to save my hotshoe for a flash.

Is it the EM5 that I'd swop to if I wanted to change bodies?

Tony
Hi Tony. Certainly I would. Or if I wasn't in a hurry I'd wait for the new OMD which is apparently being announced in September.

At least. If you're doing lots of video, and you only use Panasonic stabilised lenses I can see the argument for sticking with Panasonic. If not I think the OMD is still a no-brainer with the weather sealing and the IBIS

Hi jono,

I never do video. I like the high speed burst on the GH2 for tennis as quite often I get a shot of the ball actually on the racket. But I could do without.

A lot of my work is with the Panny pancakes which are not stabilised - so I guess the IBIS would be worth the swop in that situation.

I am in no rush. I read the rumours about the EM6. It's a pity there is no Photokina this year to precipitate the new model announcements.

Tony

limbonaut

Tony
I have not done the math, the three stops is my seat of the pants analysis. However, I've been able to get blur free images I've had no business getting. You can find several reviews that have done the more scientific analysis and I think their findings were consistent with what I've experienced.

I had the OM-D and now have the EP-5. They are similar in this regard.

Godfrey

The IBIS on the e-m5 and the E-P5 are in another league. They net at least 3 stops and are IMHO a huge leap forward in image stabilization. You should give it a try once and get a sense if it makes as much a difference to you.
I've had the opportunity to shoot with the E-M5 (and owned the E-5). While they're good IS systems, I never found that they gave me much more than the usual stop or two extra. I tend to be very steady anyway so it's likely a perception based on my own hand-holding capabilities.

Ah the fun of fora.

“They net at least 3 stops”

“I never found that they gave me much more than the usual stop or two extra.”

What a shame. I love shopping.

Tony
- seems the GH2 will be with me for a while yet!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Tony, that depends on your shooting technique. Photographers who are able to shoot at long shutter times without IS also have less to gain from mechanical or optical stabilisation. I notice that very clearly when I use cameras without viewfinders; suddenly IS is of great help while normally, I see little difference.

V

Vivek

Ah the fun of fora.

“I never found that they gave me much more than the usual stop or two extra.”

Tony
I also find nothing wrong with my GH-2. The whole OMD " revolution" is totally lost on me.:eek:

Godfrey

Ah the fun of fora.
“I never found that they gave me much more than the usual stop or two extra.
Tony
Hmm. Shopping begins when I can go to the store and look at the camera. Right now, this is all speculation and entertainment.

G

Lucky you, Godfrey in San Jose.

Shopping.

I don't think we have camera shops in London now. The big two, Jessops and Jacobs, went belly up. I think that R G Lewis still exists and there are a couple near the British Museum. There is one on Kensington High Street but after that I struggle.

I spent hours in R G Lewis when I worked nearby - to my bank manager's despair!

Tony

Godfrey

Shopping.

I don't think we have camera shops in London now. The big two, Jessops and Jacobs, went belly up. I think that R G Lewis still exists and there are a couple near the British Museum. There is one on Kensington High Street but after that I struggle.

Tony
When in London about the Easter time (a bitterly cold Easter time), I poked about in the Leica and other camera shop by the British Museum after enjoying the Herculaneum exhibit. Seems to me that they had Leicas, Fujis, Panasonics, Olympus, Nikon, Canon, etc.

There's one consumer/pro camera shop in Palo Alto (about 10 miles from me) and another in San Francisco (about 50 miles from me). That's enough for shopping ... I usually know what I want before I go in, but it's nice to see the new cameras in person before you plunk down your money.

Most of what I buy is old stuff, tho. I'm just in the process of acquiring another Nikon F with 35mm f/2.8 lens (1965 vintage), and am looking at more Leica R lenses ... 35mm and 21mm at present.

Most of the new stuff is all great, works great, so shopping is really a matter of reading all the final specs when the production models comes available, reading the manuals, then going to the store to see if my hands hate the darn thing. ;-)

G

jonoslack

Shopping.

Tony
HI Tony
funny old world - I work in the countryside near Norwich, and it's a ten minute drive to the WEX showroom - I think it's the biggest photo shop in the UK these days . . . . and if you can't be bothered to turn up, then they'll deliver ridiculously fast (for instance, if you place your order before 6.30 pm on Friday you'll get it on Saturday morning).

. . . . and it seems to me that the E-M1 is irresistible!

Matix

Anyone got the GX7 yet ?
Hi, it is close... I ordered mine from Photocontinental in Brisbane, Australia... they are local and the prices are very competitive with online. They said it should be in my hands by the end of September, hopefully...

For now I downloaded the GX7 Manual from Panasonic UK, that will keep me going.

This link should work, you may have to approve the download though:

GX7 Manual Download page

Phil

Godfrey

That's a week before the E-M1, and for a few dollars more you get all that extra . . . and it isn't even that much bigger:

Size and price aren't the only criteria to differentiate between these two cameras. They're close on size, price ... well, the Olympus is nearly 40% more money, which is significant. The Panasonic has a completely different form factor and less configurability/customizability. On the positive side, it's probably a bit faster to learn.

What I see in these two competing models is kind of the difference between the Panasonic L1 and the Olympus E-1 FourThirds DSLRs. They were close on price when they were new, they looked and felt very different, they worked pretty differently too, and they were both excellent cameras which produce excellent results. They're both subtle pieces of equipment. I don't think the differences in sensor capabilities and image quality between the two will amount to more than a small hill of beans in the end. ;-)

So I think we have a redux of that great pair in Micro-FourThirds now. In some ways, I like the design and simplicity of the Panasonic more ... but I chose the Olympus because I think it better suits my desire to use with my ZD SLR lenses where I expect the Panasonic will be better suited for mostly Micro-FourThirds lenses. Just like with the L1 and E-1, I found the L1 a natural and it took me a little longer to learn the E-1. But in the end, the E-1 did what I want more which is why I kept it and sold the L1.

Amazing times to have such choices available at our fingertips, and both of them are pretty darn inexpensive for what they offer...

G