The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

jonoslack

You're more evil than I normally imagine, Jorgen. ;-)

I just checked: E-P5, E-M5 and E-M1 all take the BLN-1 battery. That's a strong case to stick with just Olympus ... same remote, same battery, similar IBIS system, similar menus, etc. BUT the GX7 EVF, body shape, and control layout is very appealing.

The E-M1 will be here within a few weeks. I'll work with that a while and see what else I want to do equipment wise. There might be large changes in the near future ...

G
As you say:same
Also, having used the Pen 5 for a week or so, it works nicely and handles well. I guess the colour will also be more consistent.
But if I hadn't given away my OMD I would have waited.

jonoslack

I say, that's one hell of an excuse, I'll try remembering this one ... :p

:ROTFL: :chug: :poke: :dh2:

All the very best.
Hmmm well, but it does have to be true(ish). Sim has nabbed my OMD, I have he's Sony A65 to sell (don't want a Sony A65 do you?). The proceeds will go towards the cost of the E-P5. Which I do like better than I expected.

Brian Mosley

The E-M1 looks huge, but it's really not. :)

Jorgen are the buttons (or perhaps the 'button feel') on the E-M1 improved over the E-M5?
The complete feel of the E-M1 is dramatically improved over the E-M5. It's quite a shock to pick up a camera which is so similar in size, and yet feels more generous in proportion.

You really need to try it to appreciate the difference. The buttons, switches and dials are all solid, tactile and responsive. I'm off to another launch party with more Olympus Photo Safari Group members this evening in London - I hope to try the remote viewfinder via a smartphone for shooting at odd angles on a tripod... I miss the fully articulating lcd on my E-System cameras.

Cheers

Brian

biglouis

Jorgen, thanks for posting that picture.

As Jono keeps on saying, it is down to personal preference. I do like the form factor of the GX7. With the 12-35 it would suit me down to the ground.

Decisions, decisions.

LouisB

Matix

Jorgen, thanks for posting that picture.

As Jono keeps on saying, it is down to personal preference. I do like the form factor of the GX7. With the 12-35 it would suit me down to the ground.

Decisions, decisions.

LouisB
Tomorrow, I get mine tomorrow... my name was first in pre-order, opted for the body but looks like I will upgrade to get the 20mm as well for $200 extra. Both the 25mm 1.4 and 12-35mm are sitting waiting in my little Crumpler bag... first report tomorrow.

Did I say, I get mine tomorrow???

Phil

biglouis

Tomorrow, I get mine tomorrow... my name was first in pre-order, opted for the body but looks like I will upgrade to get the 20mm as well for $200 extra. Both the 25mm 1.4 and 12-35mm are sitting waiting in my little Crumpler bag... first report tomorrow.

Did I say, I get mine tomorrow???

Phil
Phil, I really do look forward with interest to any captures you put up.

LouisB

Vobluda

I give it a try the other day at the camera shop.
The camera is normaly available but I dont think that they will sell lot for the asking price here (25990 CZK body only - ca 1350 USD / ca 1010 EUR.. also Czech customers are very conservative - if it is not Canon/Nikon DSLR than it just doesnt work with them).
I played with the silver version and it felt somehow plastic.
Focusing is almost instant.
I expected a bigger finder.
The main problem was the grip - too big for my average size hands so no space/very uncomfortable for my little finger.
Oly E-M1 is coming to town next week (39 990 CZK body only - more than 2000 USD.. ).
And Sony Alpha 3000 was also there but I didnt have time to play with it.

Following up from my question on the 12th August....

Now there are a few in customers hands has anyone reported improvements in the sensor when compared with Panasonics such as the GH2?

Yes, I know the body is different and it now has IBIS, but are we getting essentially the same sensor?

Tony

raist3d

HI Jorgen
Whilst I quite see your point, having used a Pen 5 for a week or so, I'd rather have it as a smaller second body then the GX7 - of course, if you want the video then the GX7 is a no-brainer - if not, then the better IBIS on the Pen is the no-brainer (especially if you're going to use 3rd party lenses).

The plug in EVF is so different from the VF2 on earlier Pens - it locks properly, and it's huge and really nice to use . . . . . and it has a working eye sensor. So, better resolution, no fiddling with buttons, and no falling off either. . . and for times when you don't need it the camera is smaller than the GX7.

. . . also there's the familiarity of the Olympus buttons and menus.

all the best
I think the "no brainer" depends on the needs. Personally I find the silent mode of the GX7, the lower price and the fact it does come with a built in high resolution view finder with full color Adobe RGB gamut a no brainer.

It's not like the GX7 doesn't have any IBIS and the IBIS on the Panasonic is not like it's bad. So you have a slight advantage on IBIS on the Pen5 at the expense of the other things.

- Ricardo

ggibson

I think the "no brainer" depends on the needs. Personally I find the silent mode of the GX7, the lower price and the fact it does come with a built in high resolution view finder with full color Adobe RGB gamut a no brainer.

It's not like the GX7 doesn't have any IBIS and the IBIS on the Panasonic is not like it's bad. So you have a slight advantage on IBIS on the Pen5 at the expense of the other things.

- Ricardo
Yeah, I completely agree. There are a lot more features to weigh between the Olympus and Panasonic models than just video vs IBIS: built-in viewfinder, focus peaking, weather sealing, wireless, silent mode, ETC video, live bulb, time-lapse, bounce flash, etc, etc, etc. Definitely down to personal preference which one you end up deciding on, however. GX7 for me.

It's funny that image quality is almost a non-point between these m4/3 cameras since performance is all so similar. Even the first generation sensors are pretty close at lower ISOs. Must be why I've been satisfied with my lowly GF1 for so long, and why I'm still not convinced that the newest flock is enough to get me to spend the money on an "upgrade".

ptomsu

Workshop Member
WRT "no brainer":

Having owned both, Oly and Panasonic m43 cameras in the past, I always loved and highly preferred my Oly's and never really liked my Pana's.

With that in mind the EM1 is the clear object of desire and definite upgrade path for me, while I actually do not even consider the GX7 anymore. The GX7 might have one big advantage, it is very small, which for me is same time the biggest disadvantage as I want to handle a camera I can hold and operate more easily.

Another example why one chooses a certain camera/brand and as already mentioned since IQ and features are pretty close, haptics, look and build quality become a very important part of the decision.

raist3d

WRT "no brainer":

Having owned both, Oly and Panasonic m43 cameras in the past, I always loved and highly preferred my Oly's and never really liked my Pana's.

With that in mind the EM1 is the clear object of desire and definite upgrade path for me, while I actually do not even consider the GX7 anymore. The GX7 might have one big advantage, it is very small, which for me is same time the biggest disadvantage as I want to handle a camera I can hold and operate more easily.

Another example why one chooses a certain camera/brand and as already mentioned since IQ and features are pretty close, haptics, look and build quality become a very important part of the decision.
I have also used both and my point is simply- the "no brainer" is a very personal choice. Yes, the EM1 is the clear object of desire *for you* (which you mentioned but you also wrote WRT the "no brainer"). That's great if you are so sure!

All I am saying is, having the Olympus IBIS and the few other things hardly makes the Pen vs a gX7 a "no brainer," since the GX7 certainly presents some rather good value propositions too. That's all, nothing more. It's all to personal needs, wants and finances.

Yes, the GX7 may not be for you, and it may be obvious but that doesn't take away that it's a great value proposition for many and excellent in its own right. Keep in mind I was talking in the context of a Pen5 comparison.

- Ricardo

Brian Mosley

Hi Jono, I'm guessing that by "no brainer" you're suggesting "deciding factor" and Ricardo you are also correct, the deciding factor will certainly be guided by personal preference.

I'm very pleased that we have competition and differentiation going on across the range. Also, that I can still find the E-PL1 available to buy on line. Great for all budgets.

Cheers

Brian

cjlacz

I just wish Panasonic would listen and allow English menus on the cameras purchased in Japan. Someone there is making some strange decisions and has driven me mostly to Oly after my GF1 and I'm happy with it. Even though it's not nearly as bad as owning two systems, when you take into account batteries/chargers/L-brackets/EVFs etc it's a bit of a pain to use both systems. Do you think we could convince Oly and Panasonic to get together and use the same batteries?

jonoslack

All I am saying is, having the Olympus IBIS and the few other things hardly makes the Pen vs a gX7 a "no brainer," since the GX7 certainly presents some rather good value propositions too. That's all, nothing more. It's all to personal needs, wants and finances.
Hi Ricardo
'no brainer' - silly expression - and as I've been saying here and elsewhere, it depends on your personal requirements and needs.
Personally, the E-M1 is the camera I've been waiting for ever since the E3 came out . . . finally it's arrived, and for my purpose and the english weather a small rugged µ43 camera with good IBIS and the ability to focus properly with both µ43 and 43 lenses is really what I wanted.
As far as the Pen - shrug - I think it probably makes a nice small backup, and for me the optional (and very excellent) VF4 together with a familiar layout and menu structure and the great IBIS is relevant - of course, I quite understand that for others the inbuilt EVF and other features of the GX7 are more important.

WRT "no brainer":

Yes Peter - me too.

Hi Jono, I'm guessing that by "no brainer" you're suggesting "deciding factor" and Ricardo you are also correct, the deciding factor will certainly be guided by personal preference.
Hi there Brian
Yes indeed - and I wasn't suggesting for a second that it would be a 'no brainer' for others (or even a deciding factor :) ).

I'm very pleased that we have competition and differentiation going on across the range. Also, that I can still find the E-PL1 available to buy on line. Great for all budgets.
Exactly - and wonderful that one can swap between one and the other without the trauma and expense of replacing whole lens systems.

all the best

Matix

Phil, I really do look forward with interest to any captures you put up.

LouisB
Well it is in my hands, battery is finally fully charged and tomorrow I will shoot some images. I have to say, it feels excellent in the hand.

I opted for the black with 20mm 1.7 kit, a very good deal for an excellent combo as I saved $275 by buying the 20mm in the kit..

Phil

Last edited:

Godfrey

Well it is in my hands, battery is finally fully charged and tomorrow I will shoot some images. I have to say, it feels excellent in the hand.

I opted for the black with 20mm 1.7 kit, a very good deal for an excellent combo as I saved $275 by buying the 20mm in the kit..
I look forward to hearing about your exploration of the GX7. :)

G

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Well it is in my hands, battery is finally fully charged and tomorrow I will shoot some images. I have to say, it feels excellent in the hand. . . . .
Phil
I got my GX7 on Saturday . Battery is fully charged and a spare is on order .
I got the body only , in silver and it looks beautiful with the OLY 12mm WA .
Yes , I must agree that body feels excellent in my hands as well .
No comparison to the GX1 , which is a ladies camera :D . My hands are just too big for that little juwel .
I expected the viewfinder to be a bit bigger , but people wearing glasses have trouble with all sorts of viewfinders .

raist3d

Cheers

Brian
Pretty much. It's probably me bad, just what Jono/Ptomsu wrote sounded way too categorical and in general terms, but it may very well be just the way I read it.

- Ricardo