The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

It's all YOUR fault!!!

jonoslack

I do hope that Leica are trying this for themselves and realise that they need to come to this particular party. An M9 with the same focussing arrangements will be a case of "new bottle, same dreary old vintage".
Hi Mark
I do so agree - I'd hate to lose the bright viewfinder with framelines . . but no need for the rangefinder focus patch - simply an overlay with focus confirmation and accurate framelines based on the lens used (including zooms of course). you could then have live view, and there would be room for another window for the EVF . . .

M

marknorton

Hi Mark
I do so agree - I'd hate to lose the bright viewfinder with framelines . . but no need for the rangefinder focus patch - simply an overlay with focus confirmation and accurate framelines based on the lens used (including zooms of course). you could then have live view, and there would be room for another window for the EVF . . .
Well there's an interesting thought, two viewfinders, one for rangefinder with focus confirmation based on AF evaluation of a sample of the live view sensor, a second for the EVF for those times when you need WYSIWYG.

Lots of thinking out of the box here. My original thinking was to try to ape the M viewfinder, rangefinder patch and all but that just leads us to a pastiche of the original.

I'm finding focussing with the EVF a breeze on the longer/faster lenses and a faster access to focus assist mode would things better for wides.

jonoslack

Or rather this forum's fault :D

Went to Keeble and Shuchat today with my kids and came home with a G1, both zooms and an extra battery. Hope to get some images to post soon!
Congratulations Jack
Now you can have loads of fun!
Then you can try and work out where it fits in amongst your other gear (the trouble I'm going through right now).

Terry

Congratulations Jack
Then you can try and work out where it fits in amongst your other gear (the trouble I'm going through right now).
Did you enjoy having the G1 with you on the ski trip? Did you ski with it?

monza

I received my Novoflex adapter yesterday, and it's been fun trying different M lenses on it.

The adapter is a little tight, might need the slightest smear of vaseline on it; you cannot change lenses with the adapter still on the camera because the button to release the lens can only be depressed when off the camera. I'm going to look at what's involved to fix it, but I hope John Milich's adapter will allow this.
Mark, I plan on filing down the offending pin to allow the adapter to be left on the camera. Doesn't look too difficult.

All the wide-angles, WATE through to 35/1.4, mount OK
I'm curious, what other wide angles have you tried?

Focussing through the Nocti is great, sharper images than I ever get on the M8, you can really see the plane of focus moving through the subject field.
Bokeh previewer. :)

The G1 is just plain fun to use. I only have minor quibbles with it; for one, I'd like manual focus to be a single button press.

jonoslack

Did you enjoy having the G1 with you on the ski trip? Did you ski with it?
Hi Terry
I did (both enjoy and ski with it).
BUT
Truth is, I couldn't put it in a pocket, so it needed a small backpack, and if I was going to have a small backpack I might as well stick an A900 or an M8 with a couple of lenses in it (after all, a kilo or two extra doesn't matter much when zooming down the piste).

Terry

Hi Terry
I did (both enjoy and ski with it).
BUT
Truth is, I couldn't put it in a pocket, so it needed a small backpack, and if I was going to have a small backpack I might as well stick an A900 or an M8 with a couple of lenses in it (after all, a kilo or two extra doesn't matter much when zooming down the piste).
Well, perhaps when there is a pancake it will fit.

jonoslack

Well, perhaps when there is a pancake it will fit.
No . . . at least, it might fit, but one really doesn't want something like that to bang against ribs when falling, and anyway, having a fixed focal length lens when skiing is not that useful, you tend either to want wide or long(ish) telephoto.

Terry

No . . . at least, it might fit, but one really doesn't want something like that to bang against ribs when falling, and anyway, having a fixed focal length lens when skiing is not that useful, you tend either to want wide or long(ish) telephoto.
You fall?:angel:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations Jack
Thanks Jono.

My current thinking is it fills in where a smaller camera like the LX3 doesn't work for me. IOW, a bring-it-everywhere camera that doesn't break my back to carry or the bank if I drop it in the ocean, yet with image quality good enough to hold up at say 15x20 print sizes. So far, I think this camera fits that slot pretty darn well. (But I'll still carry my GRD2 with me everywhere too!)

Will it "replace" an M8 for travel or street? No, don't think so, but it may make a very nice compliment to it in the travel bag, especially with a G1 to M lens adapter :))). And on its own, certainly a notch up form a smaller P&S camera, and a lot less weight and bulk than a larger DSLR. Plus, it's pretty quiet and its diminutive size and flip-out rear LCD make it pretty darn stealthy :).

Will it replace a higher-speed DSLR like the D700 or 50D? Again probably not if you need the framerate or the extra stop or two of ISO. But for the occasional photograph-my-kids-at-a-sporting-event, and maybe get at least two or three keepers, probably.

Will it serve for the occasional Aunt-Edna-birthday-party-shoot better than a smaller P&S? Absolutely.

But it won't fit in a shirt pocket.

Cheers,

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
What raw converter are you guys using? I have updated the camera firmware and installed all the latest Adobe updates, but ACR cannot open the G1 raws...

???

M

marknorton

I'm curious, what other wide angles have you tried?
These are the wides I've tried:

WATE
21/2.8 ASPH
24/2.8 ASPH
28/2 ASPH
35/2 Summicron IV
35/1.4 ASPH

All fine, I agree with you about the pin, best done by dismantling it I think.