The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Humble OMD 12-50 kit lens

jonoslack

HI There
I guess that most of us looked at how slow this is and slung it in the cupboard (that's assuming that we couldn't buy a body only deal).

Having been rather startled at how good the equally slow lens on the Leica XV is . . . I thought I'd revisit the Olympus kit lens, so I dug it out of the back of the cupboard and went walkies with it this morning.

The lens is nice and small and light, and the push macro function works really well. I suppose that one can criticise the IQ, but I was just really pleased with the versatility, and the shots which resulted.

Here are a few snaps!

I'm really pleased with it - what a bargain, and it's weather sealed!

Sometimes it's worth making small sacrifices in IQ (and they really are small) to give yourself more photo opportunities.

All the best

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
+1, Jono.

There's little humble about the 12-50! If I weren't such a lens snob about the Panasonic 12-35, it would live on my camera. As it is, I miss its macro capabilities.

--Matt

jonoslack

+1, Jono.

There's little humble about the 12-50! If I weren't such a lens snob about the Panasonic 12-35, it would live on my camera. As it is, I miss its macro capabilities.

--Matt
HI Matt
I also have the 12-35 . . . . but it wouldn't have managed several of these shots, and the ones it would . . . . . would they have been better? I'm not so sure!

all the best

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Agreed. It is the human failing of "I paid so much for this lens, I'd better use it!" that keeps the 12-35 on camera. ;)

--Matt

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Overall one of the best lenses I ever owned!

Size, weight, versatility and reasonable IQ!!!