The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"L" Arca Swiss tripod plate for G1

httivals

Is there an "L" Arca Swiss tripod plate that will work with the G1 when one wants to put it on a tripod? Has anyone tried either the generic RRS or Kirk "L" plates on it?

barjohn

I tried the Really Right Stuff BP-CS but it doesn't work as it catches on the LCD. Also, it blocks access to the battery.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
You could use the generic RRS L plate, but you need to either remove it to swap the battery or cut that end off to clear the battery hatch.

E

edslaughter

I have the RRS small square B6D. I fits fine. Doesn't block the battery door or interfere with the LCD operation.

Terry

Update:
The RRS B9 E (a small compact plate) does not work properly on the G1. If you put it on in the correct direction you can't fully open the battery compartment making removal impossible. If you flip it around the stabilizing edge doesn't allow the screen to lay flat.

Technically you can use it and bring the wrench along for battery changes.

kevinparis

you guys really ought to get out more... and maybe take pictures... you really are getting a bit too obsessive... i mean... tripod mounting plates!!!... you managed in about ten posts to introduce me to a whole level of geekdom i never knew existed!!

please dont take offence... whatever rocks your boat.... I am just slack jawed at your attention to detail

love and peace

K

Terry

you guys really ought to get out more... and maybe take pictures... you really are getting a bit too obsessive... i mean... tripod mounting plates!!!... you managed in about ten posts to introduce me to a whole level of geekdom i never knew existed!!

please dont take offence... whatever rocks your boat.... I am just slack jawed at your attention to detail

love and peace

K
Ha ha, I am charging the battery right now and getting ready to go shoot for sunset. Today at least I'm trying to go out prepared whereas yesterday I could have used a tripod and left it home. I will post pictures later....don't forget I'm 9 hours behind you so plenty of time left today. :grin:

jonoslack

I am just slack jawed at your attention to detail
HEY
Leave me out of this. I promise I have NEVER fitted an L plate (whatever it might be) to ANY camera I've owned, and that my lack of attention to detail is legendary!

There's nothing wrong with my jaw either.
:mad:

Terry

oh bye the way... what is this 'tripod' of which you talk :)
I'm using a small Gitzo Traveler. Very compact and light weight. However the head that comes with it isn't quite strong enough to hold some of my heavier equipment (but is probably great for the G1) so I upgraded the ball head. While it doesn't really need quick release plates, it makes life easier than screwing the camera on and off the tripod (which also worries me for wear and tear).

The whole tripod is quite strong and weighs only 1 kilo and folds down to about 14"...yes pricey. They seem to have gone up in price since I bought mine.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._1550T_Traveler_6X_Carbon.html#specifications

kevinparis

happy new year jono
never intended to bring your good name into disrepute

Hope your skiing went suitably downhill and that the apre ski was warming and excessively relaxing!!

cheers
K.... and big hugs from the other half

jonoslack

happy new year jono
never intended to bring your good name into disrepute
Happy New Year to you two too.
Hope your skiing went suitably downhill and that the apre ski was warming and excessively relaxing!!
I'm not sure that I ever find slithering down a hill on planks exactly relaxing . . especially when trying to keep up with 20 year old child who has been boarding for 60 weeks i the last three years!
But - we had a wonderful time - 4 beautiful still sunny warm days (but not warm enough to make the snow soft). All 5 of us together (i.e. me, boss, 3 boys) no arguments, no (serious) injuries - only my credit card suffered!

cheers
K.... and big hugs from the other half
Send them right back at her - lovely lady.

Mind you, I WAS seriously offended:ROTFL:

kevinparis

terry

thanks for the info... I was kinda joshing/ faking innocence when i asked

sometimes humour doesn't survive email

we are holding off on the G1 front until the Olympus version turns up ... or G1 bodies are available. Apparently the big UK Photo store sold out of them over christmas... maybe Panansonic did their marketing homework

happy new year to you from both of us

K