The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42 asph

Hello. I'm interested in knowing the real differences between the Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS
And the
Panasonic LUMIX G VARIO 14-42mm / F3.5-5.6 II ASPH. O.I.S.
Is there a real difference in sharpness, aside from the construction and filter size?
Thank you.
Ach.

Last edited:

mmbma

Yes. I got one of these, the mega version. also had the 12-50 standard zoom from Olympus.
can't help you compare the two panasonics but just in case you are curious about one vs the standard zoom.

I sold that standard zoom and kept the panasonic pancake zoom. They are very similar in terms of sharpness, with various opinions leaning either way. A lot of people prefer the standard zoom because it has a mechanical zoom option (and an electronic zoom), while the Panasonic has only electronically assisted zoom.

HOWEVER, the trade off is almost 4 fold increase in length. The panasonic zoom keeps the camera in a much smaller package. I found the standard zoom unusable because the large size defeats the purpose of having a compact system.

Personally I have the pancake zoom for general purpose outdoor shooting, and have the 17 mm and 25mm pancake prime lenses