The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

Godfrey

Tried it. Paid deposit. Arrives in 2 weeks :D

Best ergonomics ever, clearly better than E-M5. Better than the F6 also, and relegates that camera to the second spot of my ranking. Flawless AF-S with the PanaLeica 14-50. I won't be able to perform a proper AF-C test until I get the camera home. I tried the camera with and without the grip. With the grip, I will have no problem with heavy lenses like the 150mm f/2.0. Nikon and Canon have a huge challenge on their hands, when photographers start discovering this piece of apparatus.
I know how much you like the F6—that's truly high praise.

I didn't have the opportunity to handle it yet, but the Olympus rep is going to be at the shop today around lunch time, I might just take an extended lunch.

My order is in already tho. Maybe I should add the grip now and get it over with...

G

Godfrey

Am I right in assuming that the Leica 4/3rds lenses will not AF on the new EM1?
I read that the dedicated 4/3 adaptor for the EM1 only "reads" 4/3 Oly lenses.
For an old duffer like me, accurate and fast AF is a must!;)
Untrue.

Olympus mFT bodies with MMF-1, MMF-2, MMF-3 or even the Panasonic version of the adapter have always driven AF with both Olympus and Panasonic/Leica FT lenses. I personally tested the Vario-Elmarit-D 14-50/2.8-3.5 ASPH and Summilux-D 25/1.4 ASPH on Pen E-P1, E-P2, E-PL1, E-PL2 and OM-D E-M5 bodies. I'm sure the E-M1 will perform beautifully with these same lenses.

Some lens correction parameters from Panasonic lenses (mostly mFT ... only the Summilux-D 25/1.4 ASPH of the FT Panasonic/Leica lenses has lens correction parameters included) might not transfer to the Olympus body, but even there I suspect that, if true, it only affects in-camera JPEG processing as the lens correction metadata is standardized for Micro-FourThirds mount protocols.

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I used the PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 lens and a Panasonic converter. Worked like a charm. I believe the electronics are functionally identical in all the converters.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
A comment to size and vertical grip:
Without the grip, it's a compact camera with exceptionally nice ergonomics (although it will take some time to program and learn to know all the fn buttons). With the grip, which sits unusually tight on the body, it feels like a miniature D2/3/4, but the thinner body makes it much easier for me to hold. This is also one of several reasons why I prefer the F6 to Nikon's digital bodies; the body is thinner but the grip is equally deep.

For anybody with experience from OM film bodies, the power switch is second nature.

Oh, and to remove the lens hood from the 12-40mm lens, buttons on each side of the hood have to be pressed. Why didn't anybody think about that before? I've lost so many lens hoods that I've started attaching them with velcro tape.

JMaher

For those with actual access to a store that carries Olympus. Is there going to be a US kit with the E-M1 and the 12-40 and is anyone aware of the price or timing?
-Jim

Godfrey

For those with actual access to a store that carries Olympus. Is there going to be a US kit with the E-M1 and the 12-40 and is anyone aware of the price or timing?
-Jim
I'm headed up to the shop for the Olympus touchy-feely show in a few minutes. I'll ask the question, but my understanding at present is that the 12-40 is due to be available in late November or December.

I don't know that they'll offer it at a "kit" or bundled discount price ... I don't recall Olympus USA doing that in the past with their other pro-grade camera offerings. In the past, you simply ordered the E-1, E-3 or E-5 bundle, then paid for a body and a lens.

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm headed up to the shop for the Olympus touchy-feely show in a few minutes. I'll ask the question, but my understanding at present is that the 12-40 is due to be available in late November or December.

I don't know that they'll offer it at a "kit" or bundled discount price ... I don't recall Olympus USA doing that in the past with their other pro-grade camera offerings. In the past, you simply ordered the E-1, E-3 or E-5 bundle, then paid for a body and a lens.

G
In Thailand, the alternatives are:

- Body only with 4/3 converter.
- Kit with 12-50mm lens
- Kit with 12-40mm f/2.8 lens (available later)

jonoslack

In Thailand, the alternatives are:

- Body only with 4/3 converter.
- Kit with 12-50mm lens
- Kit with 12-40mm f/2.8 lens (available later)
Same in the UK except that the body only doesn't include the converter.
I've ordered all three to be sure to get one of the first (WEX ring to check you want it before dispatching)

Godfrey

Back from fondling the E-M1 at the camera shop.

- Nice, tight, solid feel.

- Without the HLD7 fitted, it's a little small in my hands (I take an L-XL glove size) for medium to larger lenses. With the HLD7 fitted, it feels very nice indeed. The control spacings and buttons are nicely placed and just big enough to work easily.

- I tested my ZD 35 Macro and ZD 11-22 zoom on it. If there's a difference in focusing speed between it and the E-5, I'm not sensitive to it; it's certainly faster than the E-1 or E-PL1—neither are the fastest focusing lenses in anyone's bag. Focusing accuracy seems very good, for the 16 quick point-and-snap photos I made, they are all but one right on the money.

- ISO 800 produces very good results, and the stabilization worked a treat at 1/10-1/20 second.

- It's hard to tell you're looking at an EVF: the viewfinder is very clean, very transparent. I can manually focus either of the above lenses easily without bothering with either magnification or peaking assist in most cases.

- Lightroom 5.2 imported the .ORF files without a hiccup, and for it's being "preliminary", the colors look very accurate and well-balanced.

Glad I ordered one. After handling it with and without, I ordered the HLD7 battery grip as I know I'll want it.

Regards a body+lens kit, the Olympus representative could not say anything substantive. As of the present time, the 12-40/2.8 lens has been pushed to end of November/early December delivery, and there is no kit bundle to talk about.

Nice camera. I'm going to enjoy it. :)

G

JMaher

Thanks for checking about a kit and the update. It seems I need to buy them separately. I never sold my 25 1.4 so I would have something to shoot with while I wait.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Regards a body+lens kit, the Olympus representative could not say anything substantive. As of the present time, the 12-40/2.8 lens has been pushed to end of November/early December delivery, and there is no kit bundle to talk about.

G
My dealer in Austria told me that the kits with 12-40 will ship end of October ... hard to believe we would get it earlier here though.

Peter

Thorkil

Back from fondling the E-M1 at the camera shop.

- Nice, tight, solid feel.

- Without the HLD7 fitted, it's a little small in my hands (I take an L-XL glove size) for medium to larger lenses. With the HLD7 fitted, it feels very nice indeed. The control spacings and buttons are nicely placed and just big enough to work easily.

- I tested my ZD 35 Macro and ZD 11-22 zoom on it. If there's a difference in focusing speed between it and the E-5, I'm not sensitive to it; it's certainly faster than the E-1 or E-PL1—neither are the fastest focusing lenses in anyone's bag. Focusing accuracy seems very good, for the 16 quick point-and-snap photos I made, they are all but one right on the money.

- ISO 800 produces very good results, and the stabilization worked a treat at 1/10-1/20 second.

- It's hard to tell you're looking at an EVF: the viewfinder is very clean, very transparent. I can manually focus either of the above lenses easily without bothering with either magnification or peaking assist in most cases.

- Lightroom 5.2 imported the .ORF files without a hiccup, and for it's being "preliminary", the colors look very accurate and well-balanced.

Glad I ordered one. After handling it with and without, I ordered the HLD7 battery grip as I know I'll want it.

Nice camera. I'm going to enjoy it. :)

G
:)
any Pictures we could look at ?
Thorkil

Godfrey

:)
any Pictures we could look at ?
Thorkil
Sorry, no. I had only a few moments to shoot 16 photos, and they were mostly of the folks standing around me at the counter. Half are JPEGs with unknown settings on the camera. There *is* useful data for me to evaluate, having made them, but no pictures worth posting to others from this batch.

G

Godfrey

My dealer in Austria told me that the kits with 12-40 will ship end of October ... hard to believe we would get it earlier here though.

Peter
I got the impression from the Olympus rep that the delivery date for the 12-40 had changed within the past day or so. It takes a lot of time and work to bring up a lens production line, particularly for today's complicated lens marvels. Make no mistake about it, the 12-40/2.8 is worth waiting for! If I liked zooms more, I'd have that on my order sheet too. ;-)

G

jonoslack

Peter
Hi Peter
There is quite a history of Olympus delivering to Europe before the US . . :). . and charging too much as well :mad:

But I think the kit with the 12-40 is going to be quite a lot later than the body only or 12-50 kits.

All the best

Thorkil

Sorry, no. I had only a few moments to shoot 16 photos, and they were mostly of the folks standing around me at the counter. Half are JPEGs with unknown settings on the camera. There *is* useful data for me to evaluate, having made them, but no pictures worth posting to others from this batch.

G
okay...did you have a chance to compare between the 11-22 and the new 12-40?
Thorkil

Godfrey

okay...did you have a chance to compare between the 11-22 and the new 12-40?
LOL! I had the chance to play with the 12-40 for at most, oh, 20 seconds before I put it on the counter and fitted my own lenses. I don't think I even snapped the shutter with it, and if I did the image is on the rep's card. ;-)

I'm pretty uninterested in zoom lenses. Further, I have no intention of buying any lenses at this time, and went there with two specific questions to answer for myself:

- How does the camera handle with my lenses both with and without the battery grip?

- How well does the PDAF focusing work with my favorite FT lenses?

I answered both those questions, and a couple others in the back of my mind, in the short time I had to experiment with the camera. Placed my order for the HLD7 with the store, thanked Ray (the rep), and left.

(I saw no purpose to hammering the rep with questions about the camera ... I've already read everything available about it on the net, I've already read the owners manual cover to cover twice. I doubt there's anything the rep could tell me about the camera technically that I haven't already learned ... I wanted to handle the camera to decide on two things. I was more interested in asking him the shipping dates, accessory product availability dates, etc, which is what he can really add value for.)

G