The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

jonoslack

- How does the camera handle with my lenses both with and without the battery grip?

- How well does the PDAF focusing work with my favorite FT lenses?

I answered both those questions,
G
HI Godfrey
Straight to the point - and useful to me.
Although I enjoy reading about other people's experiences, they really aren't that relevant.
But when you say the PDAF works - that is relevant. And when you and Jorgen have ordered one - that's relevant as well.
It's been a long time since I've seen such concerted approval for a new camera.

I guess I could drive 100 miles and get a play with one, but I've heard/seen enough, so I'll wait patiently until mine arrives.

all the best

Knorp

Mmm, I'll be driving half that distance to attend an E-M1 introduction workshop in October ... :loco:

greypilgrim

That's the funny thing about ergonomics I guess.

The one bit of advice I always give people about camera purchases whenever I get asked is try before you buy otherwise you have an expensive paperweight.

I did enjoy reading his article. But I am still not swayed towards moving form the EM-5 to the EM-1 yet. I'll have to see it and try it out in person. Fortunately, I don't feel the rush do do it immediately as I expect it will be in short supply for quite a while.

The 12-40 interests me mostly as a better weatherproof alternative to the 12-50 that I currently own. I recently shot in the Olympics (rain forest in the rain), and it was the first time I was glad to have an alternative to my primes that was weatherproof. And that makes me want the faster 12-40, just for that, hmmmm.

Doug

Godfrey

Zooms in this range are rarely my thing, but having seen the lens in person and felt it in operation, I have to say it is a wonderful piece. Kudos to Olympus for this and their other superb M.Zuiko offerings in the past year and some. The 12/2, 18/1.8, 45/1.8, 60/2.8 Macro, and 75/1.8 all sing.

I'm more likely to buy a the Panasonic/Leica Summilux-DG 25/1.4 ASPH, however, as a fast normal lens for the format is one of the most useful to me. I sold my Summilux-D 25/1.4 ASPH to the same friend I sold my E-5 and L1 to, and he uses it a lot. I've missed having it for the E-1; the consumer grade ZD 25/2.8 isn't in the same class. Time to fix that for the E-M1 ...

G

jonoslack

Zooms in this range are rarely my thing, but having seen the lens in person and felt it in operation, I have to say it is a wonderful piece. Kudos to Olympus for this and their other superb M.Zuiko offerings in the past year and some. The 12/2, 18/1.8, 45/1.8, 60/2.8 Macro, and 75/1.8 all sing.

I'm more likely to buy a the Panasonic/Leica Summilux-DG 25/1.4 ASPH, however, as a fast normal lens for the format is one of the most useful to me. I sold my Summilux-D 25/1.4 ASPH to the same friend I sold my E-5 and L1 to, and he uses it a lot. I've missed having it for the E-1; the consumer grade ZD 25/2.8 isn't in the same class. Time to fix that for the E-M1 ...

G
Hi Godfrey
- are you going to get the µ43 or the 43 summilux? I've often been tempted by the µ43, but I keep stopping at the last moment.
Truth is that, unlike you, if I'm going to shoot primes I prefer to use the Leica, For me, one of the chief joys of µ43 is the very high quality small Zuiko zooms.

I was out shooting with the modest 14-150 µ43 zoom today - it's tiny, and really very good, and focuses down to about 6" (quite something at 300mm equivalent!).

Godfrey

Hi Godfrey
- are you going to get the µ43 or the 43 summilux? I've often been tempted by the µ43, but I keep stopping at the last moment.
Truth is that, unlike you, if I'm going to shoot primes I prefer to use the Leica, For me, one of the chief joys of µ43 is the very high quality small Zuiko zooms.

I was out shooting with the modest 14-150 µ43 zoom today - it's tiny, and really very good, and focuses down to about 6" (quite something at 300mm equivalent!).
I prefer working with prime lenses most of the time in the wide to portrait tele range. The M9 is such a different kind of camera to use that they don't overlap in my perception. Every time I buy a stellar "normal zoom", it ends up sitting in the drawer most of the time being ignored, and eventually I sell it. I like the ultra-wide zooms (11-22 is a near perfect lens) and the equivalent 70-200 range zooms most (although even there I tend to prefer primes). I've taken your note on the 14-150 and put it on my "maybe" list as it sounds a nice piece for travel.

I toyed with the idea of obtaining another FourThirds Summilux 25, but it is such a large and heavy lens ... while I loved using it with the E-1, I don't think it's sensible for the E-M1. It's also hard to find and more expensive, there's not much different about it performance-wise to go extra for it over the mFT version. There's also the Nokton 25/0.95 to consider, if I want to stick with manual focus.

What I'll most likely do first is see how well the Ultron 28/2 M-mount lens works on the E-M1 and decide a little later whether to buy another FT lens in this focal length range.

G

jonoslack

I prefer working with prime lenses most of the time in the wide to portrait tele range. The M9 is such a different kind of camera to use that they don't overlap in my perception.
I quite understand (and they are different) - but I take one camera setup depending on circumstance / mood, and if I shoot primes with µ43 I almost always end up wishing I'd brought the M instead (and vice versa). So I make a decision before I go out and stick to it - people and events are always the M . . . . nature and travel can be one or the other.

Every time I buy a stellar "normal zoom", it ends up sitting in the drawer most of the time being ignored, and eventually I sell it. I like the ultra-wide zooms (11-22 is a near perfect lens) and the equivalent 70-200 range zooms most (although even there I tend to prefer primes). I've taken your note on the 14-150 and put it on my "maybe" list as it sounds a nice piece for travel.
It's interesting - shooting with the X-Vario, and then re-evaluating the humble Zuiko 14-150 I realise that slow lenses can do very well from a quality point of view . . . . in decent light - I have the two panasonic zooms (12-35, 35-100) but I don't use them much - neither of them are long enough! I'm much more excited by the Zuiko 12-40 and 40-140 lenses (time to save some pennies).

The 14-150 is just so very versatile - and is long as you don't need fast.

All the best

ptomsu

Workshop Member

G
Godfrey,

I have the m43 Summilux-DG 25/1.4 and it is a superb lens, tack sharp, perfect contrast, reasonably fast and good manual control - you will love this!

Peter

Godfrey

...It's interesting - shooting with the X-Vario, and then re-evaluating the humble Zuiko 14-150 I realise that slow lenses can do very well from a quality point of view . . . . in decent light..
Yes, a lot of people overlook some superb lenses just because they aren't fast fast fast extremist things. Like the Voigtländer Color Skopar 50mm f/2.5 and the lovely little M-Rokkor 90mm f/4, for instance. Two of my favorites.

The 14-150 is just so very versatile - and is long as you don't need fast.
Sounds like a winner for general purpose and travel use. As said, it's on my "maybe" list now. I'll hold you to blame when I buy it (and for the 60 Macro).

G

Godfrey

I have the m43 Summilux-DG 25/1.4 and it is a superb lens, tack sharp, perfect contrast, reasonably fast and good manual control - you will love this!
LOL ... You're not helping, Peter. I'm trying to avoid buying more... ;-)
But thank you anyway!

G

raist3d

I can attest the F1.4 Panny/Leica m4/3rds is indeed a very good lens (and one of my very favorite focal lengths). I tried it several times on an OMD.

Funny thing- the color "cast" or signature of the lens (yes, it sort of has/imparts one) is very similar to the 4/3rds cousin - the Panny-Leica 4/3rds F1.4 lens.

- Ricardo

JMaher

The best m4/3lens I have ever owned.

I sold off almost all my m4/3 lenses thinking I might not come back. All that is except the Panasonic/Leica 25 1.4. Now of course I am thinking of ordering the E-M1 and I'll start back with this lens while waiting for the new 12-40.