The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Amazing E-1

Godfrey

My Olympus E-1 was manufactured in October 2003. Today, I stuck a 1965 Leitz Summicron-R 50mm f/2 on it and went for my morning walk with friends.

Holy Cow! How can such an ancient camera and even more ancient lens produce such beautiful photographs?

Olympus E-1 + Leitz Summicron-R 50mm f/2
ISO 800 @ f/2 @ 1/125 second

There's a fine line between great specs and a great camera.

G

Godfrey

The ancients have their secrets.
What kind of adapter was required?
I'm using an inexpensive Kipon Leica R to FourThirds adapter, but I want to buy a Novoflex next. There is a small amount of radial slop in the bayonet flange which gets annoying if you're using a lens with a slightly stiff focusing ring, like my Summicron-R 50.

G

Bill Gordon

Wonderful Godfery and I still think that the E-1 was the best digital camera that Olympus has made......until the Pens were re-introduced!

Your message to the unwashed is that "it ain't the camera or the lens...it's the man behind the camera and ones"....always!!!

Craftysnapper

Your message to the unwashed is that "it ain't the camera or the lens...it's the man behind the camera and ones"....always!!!
LOL Bill, but I think you slightly misquoted, it's the great unwashed, first coined by the
Victorian Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, :)

And I'm presuming you mean no3.;):D

1. A person of a lower order who is looked down upon by most of society.

2. A term to refer to anyone who is common and or stupid in their ways.

3. Can also be applied to a person who follows 'the crowd' and dosen't have a mind of their own.

Bill Gordon

LOL Bill, but I think you slightly misquoted, it's the great unwashed, first coined by the
Victorian Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, :)

And I'm presuming you mean no3.;):D

1. A person of a lower order who is looked down upon by most of society.

2. A term to refer to anyone who is common and or stupid in their ways.

3. Can also be applied to a person who follows 'the crowd' and dosen't have a mind of their own.
Thank you Paul and trust me for screwing something up!!
First of all....this is a great forum.....of all of them this is the best. Yes, I agree...Numero 3 is the one!!

Godfrey

LOL!
I'm not sure about the great unwashed, but it's sure a message to me ...
"What you have can already make fabulous photos. Use it!" :)

G

Godfrey

Still had the camera out on my desk this morning when I saw this and had to make the exposure:

Olympus E-1 + ZD 35mm f/3.5 Macro
ISO 400 @ f/3.5 @ 1/60 sec

enjoy,
Godfrey

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Here are few images taken with E-1 and Leica 14-150 zoom lens. These are straight from the camera JPG files (only resize for web posting).

Godfrey

Here are few images taken with E-1 and Leica 14-150 zoom lens. These are straight from the camera JPG files (only resize for web posting).
I presume that's the FourThirds Vario-Elmarit D 14-150mm ASPH lens, right?

G

jonoslack

I haven't used mine for a while, but it's telling that the next oldest digital camera I still own is a Leica M9.
I couldn't bear to get rid of it. Here's hoping that the new OMD will be just such an inspirational camera.

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I presume that's the FourThirds Vario-Elmarit D 14-150mm ASPH lens, right?

G
Yes, it's the FourThird Vario-Elmar D 14-150mm ASPH lens. The lens has OIS and a good range for a walk around lens with E-1. The other two lenses, Leica Vario-Elmarit D 14-50mm ASPH, and Olympus 11-22, match the E-1 well.

John King

Both fine shots, Godfrey.

Your shot of the stove is reminiscent of Max Dupain's dictum that he would give photography away the day he had to look further than in front of his feet for a photo!

BTW, I should use my E-1 more often than I do. Some of the best portraits and flower shots I have ever taken have been with this fine camera.

This oldie (the photo ... ;)) from my E-1 and OM mount Tamron 70-150 Macro.

Last edited: