The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 major nit...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Namely EVF refresh lag :( (Unless I missed a setting memo) ...

If you try to shoot s string of shots following action, the EVF freezes for about a second as it does the card write, which is akin to the finder blacking out for that long. This of course makes tracking fast action all but impossible. On the upside, you can usually get one good grab on the first image, and AF can easily keep up, but you then need to re-acquire a moving subject for follow up frames. With a wide lens this isn't too tough, but with the 45-200 beyond about 150 it definitely gets challenging.

Are there any settings that get around this? Review and review hold shut off when you are in continuous mode, switching to jpeg only doesn't help. I think we need a FW update that keeps the EVF in live view mode at all times...

mark1000

If you try to shoot s string of shots following action, the EVF freezes for about a second as it does the card write, which is akin to the finder blacking out for that long. This of course makes tracking fast action all but impossible. On the upside, you can usually get one good grab on the first image, and AF can easily keep up, but you then need to re-acquire a moving subject for follow up frames. With a wide lens this isn't too tough, but with the 45-200 beyond about 150 it definitely gets challenging.

Are there any settings that get around this? Review and review hold shut off when you are in continuous mode, switching to jpeg only doesn't help. I think we need a FW update that keeps the EVF in live view mode at all times...

Agree its a real problem, i have another gripe too, you cant do a bracketed shot without holding the shutter button down for all seven shots, which leads to slight movement between shots even on a tripod, thought the answer would be to set the self timer but that wont work because the selection switch for self timer and auto bracket are on the same lever. seems the answer is a remote shutter release which with a bit of luck is on its way as we speak.

Mark.

Terry

Jack, which focus method are you using? I believe if you use the focus tracking and bang out a couple of shots the camera itself is still following the moving object and you can get more than one frame. At DPReview there are some birders that are working with the G1 that need to track the flight. One actually lives right near you!

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1033&message=30436176&q=bif+g1&qf=m

This poster John Reed is the person in your area....

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1033&message=30401841

An excerpt:

Today, using tips from the Forum, I was able to handle the AF Tracking a little better, and gained some confidence in using it. I almost think if you hold off tapping the button until you're pointing at the bird of interest and then just mash the shutter, you'll get decent tracking results. As for "hit rate," that is, % of birds in focus vs. out of focus, as compared to my experience with Red Dot Sight work on my various FZs, the AF Tracking definitely improves things, I'd say from less than 50% "keeper" images to maybe 75% or so. I'd like the EVF to return to the subject just a bit quicker after each shot in the sequence, but at least it's possible to track flying subjects without losing acquisition. Time will tell whether Swallows can be captured (the hardest birds IMO), but I think the rig makes a pretty good showing for my purposes. What do you think?

Terry

Agree its a real problem, i have another gripe too, you cant do a bracketed shot without holding the shutter button down for all seven shots, which leads to slight movement between shots even on a tripod, thought the answer would be to set the self timer but that wont work because the selection switch for self timer and auto bracket are on the same lever. seems the answer is a remote shutter release which with a bit of luck is on its way as we speak.

Mark.
Mark,
I've ordered the cable release from Panny and I will let you know how well that works with bracketing.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Terry, the problem isn't the camera being able to keep up AF wise, it's me as the photographer being able to see the action via the EVF and keep the framing right. IOW it's the same as the EVF going black for say a second after each shot, so you "lose" the subject after the first snap, especially with a long lens...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Mark,

Will the three frame self-timer mode work in conjunction with the 3 shot bracketing? I have not tried it but it might do it ???

Terry

Terry, the problem isn't the camera being able to keep up AF wise, it's me as the photographer being able to see the action via the EVF and keep the framing right. IOW it's the same as the EVF going black for say a second after each shot, so you "lose" the subject after the first snap, especially with a long lens...
I guess what I was saying is if your subject isn't taking up the full frame and they move within where you are, the camera will still capture them and have them in focus. You just don't see it to move along with it. So, yes, I can see your frustration but....you can probably get more than one shot if you don't let the viewfinder be your limitation.

mark1000

Mark,

Will the three frame self-timer mode work in conjunction with the 3 shot bracketing? I have not tried it but it might do it ???
No, because you cant select self timer and bracketing together as the lever can only make a single selection, does that make sense, also whats the point of that self timer 3 shot mode, it just takes three shots at the same settings.

:confused:

Mark.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
No, because you cant select self timer and bracketing together as the lever can only make a single selection, does that make sense, also whats the point of that self timer 3 shot mode, it just takes three shots at the same settings.

:confused:

Mark.
Duh, of course it makes sense -- I am an idiot :eek:

As re the 3 frame ST mode, I think the advantage is just convenience --- you get three shots with one set-up to overcome blinks or people not looking at the camera, etc, so you don't have to keep running back to the camera to do "another shot"...

mark1000

Duh, of course it makes sense -- I am an idiot :eek:

As re the 3 frame ST mode, I think the advantage is just convenience --- you get three shots with one set-up to overcome blinks or people not looking at the camera, etc, so you don't have to keep running back to the camera to do "another shot"...

:eek: Sorry i didn't mean to infer you were an idiot Jack, please except my sincerest apology.

Mark.

fordfanjpn

FWIW I have the remote and it does work well for bracketing. I just wish the settings for bracketing were a little more flexible. But it does work.

Bill

O

olyinaz

It seems a bit of a kludge but I wonder if one of those Voightlander viewfinders that sits in the flash shoe would work well for framing whilst tracking birds in flight? Once you've got it well aligned with the lens you could trust the camera to get the AF right and use the optical VF for framing.

I've little RF experience and no experience with one of those VFs (only seen pictures of them) so I apologize in advance if this is a hair brained idea - just thinking out loud.

Cheers,
Oly

D

dwright

"..but I wonder if one of those Voightlander viewfinders that sits in the flash shoe would work well for framing.."

I just tried this with a 35mm Voightlander Kontur and also a Leica 50mm clip-on. Alignment is very good but the field of view is, of course, fixed.

The Kontur has a useful small black central spot which assists aiming.

Amin

Thanks for posting about this Jack. I live close to a lake with herons, geese, swans, hawks, beavers, and the occasional eagle. I was thinking of this combination for my wildlife purposes, but your post helped me decide to pick up a used Tamron 200-500 for Nikon instead. It was a tough call, because I won't have image stabilization, plus the G1 kit is smaller, lighter, and sharper.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for posting about this Jack. I live close to a lake with herons, geese, swans, hawks, beavers, and the occasional eagle. I was thinking of this combination for my wildlife purposes, but your post helped me decide to pick up a used Tamron 200-500 for Nikon instead. It was a tough call, because I won't have image stabilization, plus the G1 kit is smaller, lighter, and sharper.
Why I wanted to get it out there ASAP Amin, definitely NOT a good solution for active sports, wildlife/birding or event work. Truly an unfortunate oversight. Hopefully they can address this in a firmware update; we need an option for continuous live view without any image review hangs -- are you listening Panasonic?

Terry

Why I wanted to get it out there ASAP Amin, definitely NOT a good solution for active sports, wildlife/birding or event work. Truly an unfortunate oversight. Hopefully they can address this in a firmware update; we need an option for continuous live view without any image review hangs -- are you listening Panasonic?
Just curious what you have the image review set at. Have you tried setting it to none?

A

Amon

I am not sure I can help, but recently, I discover that it's possible to not have to wait the live image to get back : just press the shutter button quickly after a photo is taken and the review image is replaced with the live image. That way, the idle time is reduced dramatically. Because, the recording continue in background, the number of photos, the quality (raw or jpg) and the speed of the card, are important variables.

BTW, it's possible to press the shutter button to get off the menus.

P.S.: I have seen in many reviews that the idle time is about 8/10 of a second, IMHO it's must be added this is obtained after 5 or 6 fast shooting images.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
P.S.: I have seen in many reviews that the idle time is about 8/10 of a second, IMHO it's must be added this is obtained after 5 or 6 fast shooting images.
It will capture 3 or 4 frames before the first one un-freezes from the EVF -- very frustrating when you are (trying to) shooting a burst.