The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Abaondoned mission ruin [3 imgs]

O

olyinaz

Ruins of Mission San José de Tumacácori, established in January 1691 by Jesuit Father Eusebio Francisco Kino. Located by the town of Tumacácori, Arizona, the mission was abandoned in the mid 19th century due to disease outbreaks, Native American attacks and water shortages.

Captured with the G1 and Zuiko 9-18mm lens.

1/1250s f/7.1 at 9.0mm iso100

1/50s f/7.1 at 9.0mm iso400

1/800s f/6.3 at 18.0mm iso100

Several more in following post.

Thanks for viewing/commenting.

Cheers,
Oly

O

olyinaz

3 more imgs

Same thing, G1 and Zuiko 9-18mm (both of which are outstanding in my view). Forgot to mention in the previous post that they are developed in ACR except the last one here which is a G1 JPEG.

1/1000s f/7.1 at 9.0mm iso100

1/800s f/8.0 at 11.0mm iso100

1/250s f/4.5 at 10.0mm iso100

Again, thanks for any questions/comments.

Cheers,
Oly

Brian Mosley

Hi Oly,

these are looking excellent... which RAW converter are you using? Silkypix does very well reducing any noise in the sky, but I'm finding Qimage Studio gives the sharpest detail with zero noise removal.

Thanks for sharing!

Brian

Brian Mosley

Simon, the 9-18 works perfectly well on the G1... CDAF works fine.

Does anyone have a link to Panasonic m4/3rds lens release info?

Kind Regards

Brian

simonclivehughes

Thanks Brian, I'm tempted to pick one up, although the Panny 7-14 sounds good too, especially if it has OIS. Any comment (given the existing kit lenses) on what you might expect the 7-14 to be like compared to the Oly 9-18?

Cheers,

O

olyinaz

Brian,

I developed most of those in ACR. The pot, I think, was a Panny JPEG that I pped a bit.

If anyone is seeing something just "not quite right" please let me know because, although my monitor is a pretty good one, it's not one of the expensive made-for-photography monitors and I've had to calibrate it with my eyeballs and sample images only.

The ACR route I'm using is raw development into Elements 7 (because it's cheap) and then I save a TIFF or PSD and edit in CS3. I'm going to bite the bullet and get either CS4 (most likely) or Lightroom in order to get a more full featured version of ACR.

Blue skies can be a noise problem (not as bad as the E-400 or D-410/510 were - it's about on par with the E-3) but Neat Image really cleans it up well. By comparison, the noise removal features in CS3 do a terrible job of it.

I really like the 9-18 but 7-21 would be better. Unfortunately no one is going to make that lens so we'll have a choice of the Lumix 7-14 (very very interested in that lens - and to the guy who asked no, I don't think it's slated to have OIS), this lens or the Zuiko 7-14 which is, thus far, a manual focus only lens (for a lot of dough). The 9-18 gets a bit weird right in the very corners if you're shooting in 4:3 format but in the narrower formats it's better due to the crop. I think the key with the Lumix 7-14 is going to be "how is it in the corners"? If it does a better job than the 9-18 then I'll be willing to lose the longer long end but if not I'll stick with the 9-18 because with 18mm available one can almost use it as a standard lens - it's close to "normal" at least whereas 14mm just isn't. I guess what I'm saying is I can get by with the 9-18 as a walkabout lens but I don't think I could with a 7-14.

If only the Zuiko 12-60 were a 10-50! :shocked: :grin:

Cheers,
Oly