The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OK I don't have a G1 and expensive leica lenses...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hi Jorgen,

you just hit the nail on the head - no other camera can compete with the G1, imho for use with cheap legacy lenses.

The E-510/E-520, E-30 and E-3 all offer in-body IS for legacy lenses which is extremely useful imho - and actually the E-520 is much better weighted for use with heavy legacy lenses, but without ELVIS, focusing is too difficult.

Kind Regards

Brian
ELVIS??? Is he still around? I thought he kind of went out of service some 32 years ago.... and whatever happened to EVIL :confused:

I apparently have to catch up on the reading, before technology and its terms get too far ahead of me :lecture:

Need to dig up some of those old, brown documents with a picture of a prominent member of the Royal Family as well, and see if I can change them for a Panasonic. Where on earth did I hide those, I wonder :rolleyes:

Maybe they will take my old Technics hi-fi as a part payment. It's the same corporation, isn't it? They should honor an old, trusty customer, don't you think :angel:

Brian Mosley

EVF-I, EVIL, ELVIS... take your pick ;)

ELVIS (Electronic Live View Imaging System) is for people who want to have fun with their acronyms :D

Kind Regards

Brian

kevinparis

In starting this thread I wasn't really advocating the G1 for use with legacy SLR lenses.. I think it is a great solution for using the leica/voightlander type rangefinder lenses, but adding a 4/3rd adaptor and then an adapted SLR lens does kinda defeate the compact size of the G1

But from a couple of comments , its is obvious that the fact you can add old Nikkors and Zuikos amongst others to your existing Oly SLR is not something obvious to many users

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
A lot of those 'cheap' adapters require the Panasonic DMW-MA1 adapter on the G1 first.
John,
The reason for this is that most of the adapters (that we are using for G1) were manufactured for the 4/3 mount. If you want to use them on the G1, it requires the 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter. Hopefully, we will soon see more adapters made to mate legacy lenses directly to micro 4/3. Already, we are seeing LTM to micro 4/3 and M to micro 4/3.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
EVF-I, EVIL, ELVIS... take your pick ;)

ELVIS (Electronic Live View Imaging System) is for people who want to have fun with their acronyms :D

Kind Regards

Brian
Though I kinda like the cute ELVIS nickname I still believe the EVIL acronym nails the central point better, that for the first time we now have a digital camera with Electronic Viewfinder in combination with Interchangeable Lenses.

The reason I think it is a bit important that we circle about that central point, is that I hope we will see other companies take up the idea and make an EVIL Micro ASP-C or ASP-H camera as the next step of the EVIL concept now that Panasonic has demonstrated the instant popularity of this initiative with its even smaller Four Thirds sensor and also shown that it can be done at a street price of less than 700 USD.

I'll start a separate thread about this off topic speculation on the Other Cameras Board. Pure speculation, I know, I know, I just can't stop thinking about it :eek:

Robert Campbell

Use it along with a Milich LTM-G1 adapter, or an M-G1 adapter (along with an LTM adapter.)

Then attach a 50/1.2 FD lens (a lot cheaper than a 50/1.2 LTM lens and probably much sharper.) :)

Adapter madness. :)
Is there some sort of competition here to see who can use the most adaptors at once? :D

If so, what's the winning combination?

woodyspedden

If anyone has printed from the G1 at large sizes can you shed some light on how big you can go before noticeable nasties?

Thanks

Woody

Diane B

If anyone has printed from the G1 at large sizes can you shed some light on how big you can go before noticeable nasties?

Thanks

Woody
I dled about 9 RAW files and processed in LR 2.2. I printed 2 (one of them Uwe Steinmueller's from Outback PHoto) at 11 x 17. I feel sure I could have taken Uwe's, which was well exposed, larger. When I get my own camera this week I will print up to 16 x 24 and see--how else will we know?? At 11 x 17, the print was probably impossible to tell from other 12 MP DSLRs. However, with other shooting situations, other light--that could make a difference in larger prints. Also--none of these were landscapes with foliage, but the detail in Uwe's printed beautifully at that size--I shoot with a 5D so I will be shooting and printing a few from both at various sizes--just for fun LOL.

Diane