The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wow

Terry

California may have fires, mudslides, earthquakes, high taxes, expensive houses, and a fiscal crisis but it also has incredible beauty and is a great place to live. I'm glad I'm back. Today I went for a ride down the coast. You don't have to venture very far (in miles) to be very far from city life.

There isn't anything amazing that I shot....tide was not good to get down into rocks and I completely screwed up where I would be at sunset but here are a few.

Now why did I name the thread WOW???? This shot was done directly into horrible sunlight. I knew it was going to be toast but wanted to see what I could do with the file. The first is straight from the camera. The second is after higlight recovery, some curves and a few other Lightroom tweaks. I'm pretty shocked that I could recover it to where I did.

View attachment 10560

View attachment 10561

A couple of others....all with 45-200

View attachment 10562

at 200mm
View attachment 10563

also at 200mm from pretty far away just trying to see how the lens captured the detail no real merit to the picture ;)
View attachment 10564

R

Ranger 9

Wow indeed. I just hope the tree at the top of shot 1 is NOT the famous "Lone Cypress Tree" on the Pebble Beach golf course on 17 Mile Drive; as far as I know, that's the world's only trademarked tree, as noted in this Wikipedia entry:

In 1990 the Monterey Journal reported that Pebble Beach's lawyer, Kerry C. Smith, said "The image of the tree has been trademarked by us," and that it intended to control any display of the cypress for commercial purposes. The company had warned photographers that "they cannot even use existing pictures of the tree for commercial purposes."
Of course posting on GetDPI isn't exactly a commercial purpose, but once lawyers start monetizing trees, you can't be too careful!

jlm

Workshop Member
terry: do you realize mavericks is just around the point and out a bit in that last shot?

Terry

Wow indeed. I just hope the tree at the top of shot 1 is NOT the famous "Lone Cypress Tree" on the Pebble Beach golf course on 17 Mile Drive; as far as I know, that's the world's only trademarked tree, as noted in this Wikipedia entry:

Of course posting on GetDPI isn't exactly a commercial purpose, but once lawyers start monetizing trees, you can't be too careful!
No that would be about 100 miles further down the coast but been there done that :ROTFL:

View attachment 10566

Terry

terry: do you realize mavericks is just around the point and out a bit in that last shot?
Hi,
I drove back to SF along the coast but the ocean was calm so not much in the way of any surfing going on. It will get stormy again on Monday so perhaps then....

jlm

Workshop Member
I was at the 17 mile drive last Saturday. We built a staircase for the home immediately to the right of where you were shooting; their property ajoins the lone cypress. Not a bad spot, eh?

Lili

I see, so if someone trademarked say Reunion Tower in downtown Dallas then no one could sell any shots that even paranthetically included said tower?
Jeez why not simpy trademark the Sun or Moon while they are at it? Is this tree on private property? Is it visible from Public Property if so?

AEdit; great shots Terry, taking the lighting into account they turned out quite well

R

Ranger 9

If I understand correctly, the entire Pebble Beach community is private property; you have to pay a fee just to drive along 17 Mile Drive.

It's actually pretty common for building owners to trademark the appearance of their building (e.g. the Victorian "Seven Sisters" houses in San Francisco) and it's routine for commercial photographers to obtain location releases for property visible in commercial shoots. Easy to understand the property owners' attitude: "Why should somebody else be able to make money off my property without me getting a cut?"

But I'm sure we don't want to turn this into a legal thread...

Lili

If I understand correctly, the entire Pebble Beach community is private property; you have to pay a fee just to drive along 17 Mile Drive.

It's actually pretty common for building owners to trademark the appearance of their building (e.g. the Victorian "Seven Sisters" houses in San Francisco) and it's routine for commercial photographers to obtain location releases for property visible in commercial shoots. Easy to understand the property owners' attitude: "Why should somebody else be able to make money off my property without me getting a cut?"

In circumstances you describe it sorta makes sense, after I posted (and had some coffee) I recalled the building release things as well.
No worries, getting off my podium now...

AHEM....G1 does very well in Terry's capable hand and eye :)

JimBuchanan

As per the 17-mile Drive, I never knew how good I had it. Army and School before the UC system. Rode the 17-mile Drive on bicycle, 3 times a week for 5 years. In the 50s, they held a yearly sportscar road race on the Drive and it was single lane.

R

Ranger 9

As per the 17-mile Drive, I never knew how good I had it. Army and School before the UC system. Rode the 17-mile Drive on bicycle, 3 times a week for 5 years.
It's still free for pedestrians and bicyclists, according to the Wikipedia article; the fee only applies to cars (and excludes residents and their guests.)

Right now it's 7 degrees where I live, so the idea of biking along a coastal highway and stopping to shoot personal-use-only photos (no problems with that either) sounds very appealing! Glad we got to see Terry's take of another piece of the coastline.

Terry

It's still free for pedestrians and bicyclists, according to the Wikipedia article; the fee only applies to cars (and excludes residents and their guests.)

Right now it's 7 degrees where I live, so the idea of biking along a coastal highway and stopping to shoot personal-use-only photos (no problems with that either) sounds very appealing! Glad we got to see Terry's take of another piece of the coastline.
It used to be that you can also get in free (get validation) if you stay at one of the Pebble Beach Resorts or have a meal there.

woodyspedden

California may have fires, mudslides, earthquakes, high taxes, expensive houses, and a fiscal crisis but it also has incredible beauty and is a great place to live. I'm glad I'm back. Today I went for a ride down the coast. You don't have to venture very far (in miles) to be very far from city life.

There isn't anything amazing that I shot....tide was not good to get down into rocks and I completely screwed up where I would be at sunset but here are a few.

Now why did I name the thread WOW???? This shot was done directly into horrible sunlight. I knew it was going to be toast but wanted to see what I could do with the file. The first is straight from the camera. The second is after higlight recovery, some curves and a few other Lightroom tweaks. I'm pretty shocked that I could recover it to where I did.

View attachment 10560

View attachment 10561

A couple of others....all with 45-200

View attachment 10562

at 200mm
View attachment 10563

also at 200mm from pretty far away just trying to see how the lens captured the detail no real merit to the picture ;)
View attachment 10564
Hey Terry

Having lived in Half Moon Bay for 13 years it was nice to see Pillar Point in your post.

Nice Stuff

Woody

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Yes and of course in a commercial shoot this is certainly the case when one maybe used for advertising purposes , fees and such would be part of the licensing to use such images in any media when private property is clearly part of the image. It's actually a very good point to bring this up and as shooters something for us to be aware of and actually abide by.

For stuff like the forum and casual shooting this is not the case though and it clearly is not used for advertising purposes. But this is stuff that we should know when we do shoot properties for commercial work that we need permits and make sure we cover ourselves. Nice shots Terry love the bird in the air one