The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Zuiko 60mm f2.8 macro

Godfrey

Re: Fun with the Zuiko 60mm f2.8 and Elmarit-R 60/2.8

I'm frankly somewhat surprised to see how "clean" that E-M1 shot is, Scott.
Look at the speckles and banding in the M shot ... :shocked:

One of my gripes with my E-M1 are the speckles in the OOF areas that seem to be worse than in my E-M5.

Happy shooting and kind regards.
Could you please point out the speckles and banding in the M shot, Knorp? I can't tell what you're referring to.

thx

scott kirkpatrick

Here's a test of the E-M1's image stabilization. Hand-held, 1/10 at f/16, illuminated by one desk lamp near the wall. Sort of a "selfie," this is a Mandarin approximation of "Kirkpatrick." Picture mirrored to make the characters read in the correct order.

scott

scott kirkpatrick

We just went through a three day snowstorm that brought trees down all around Jerusalem, and even a few weeks later has left piles of branches scattered everywhere to be picked up eventually. But the snow is gone from the local botanical garden:

and things are starting to get green again,

and here and there you see claims that this is enough of winter --

All shot with E-M1 and M.Zuiko 60/2.8 macro, in shadowless twilight, at ISO 1600.

scott

drb

I've got some questions for you folks that have experience using the 60mm macro. I'm new to m4/3 and recently picked up this lens for use with my OMD-em1. I want to use it both for macro and general purpose shooting. I've done a bit of test shooting (mostly at non-macro distances) and would say that the edges are a bit softer than I would have expected (I've been really impressed with the 12-40 f2.8 that I got with the camera). Not sure if it's resolution fall off or field curvature. I also shot some non-macro comparisons against the Oly 40-150 that I purchased for just over $100. The 60mm macro is of course better (no CA, slightly better contrast), but not hugely different.

So I'm curious for those of you with experience with the 60mm macro, does my experience align with what you've seen or should I be looking for another copy of this lens?

Thanks,
Dan

scott kirkpatrick

Soft at the edges? Well, I'll have to go find a flat target to be sure, since the depth of field is not as great at 60 mm (effectively 120 mm) as I am used to with a wide angle focal length, but I normally don't find the corners weak with this lens:

scott

scott kirkpatrick

With almost a month of decent weather since a bad snowstorm, some of our wildflowers seem to be convinced that winter is over.

Still the light is rather cold and wintry:

and the most common blossom is still the white barrels on rooftops that capture solar heat for hot water:

Some plants look like invading aliens:

But it is sunny enough for lunch outside while watching the daffodills:

scott

scott kirkpatrick

Can anyone identify this creature, which I found feasting on white narcissus nectar? It's definitely insect, not bird, has antennae and a long proboscis that isn't unfurled yet in this picture. It only hovers; I never saw it alight and stop its wings buzzing.

scott

Knorp

It's a colibri-moth, Scott.
Nice catch ... :thumbup:
Or is it Hummingbird-moth, I get confused now ...

Kind regards.

scott kirkpatrick

From Wikipedia, I gather that the colibri moth will be around for a while, and has regular habits. I'll go back and try to catch him with his tongue out. Here are some more from two days ago...

Notice that the background bokeh is quite, as they say, "nervous." I'll try the Macro Elmarit-R 60/2.8 on my next visit, and see how it handles these.

scott

greypilgrim

First outing with the 60mm. I got quite lucky to run into a ladybug "swarm". What a treat to have the lens for the first time and such subject matter.

And then two others from the same trip to Yosemite. I liked the shape of the ice, and then the patterns in the high, dry grass and its reflections:

Enjoy,

Doug

greypilgrim

I'm thinking I'm really going to enjoy this lens. A couple from Hidden Beach at Point Lobos from this weekend.

Comments welcome as always. Enjoy.

Doug

mazor

ladybug swam is impressive greypilgrim!! you were indeed lucky to have the opportunity to use the 60mm macro on it.