The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Choice of lenses for M43

NigelC

I feel with the launch of the GX7 I could now finally abandon full frame Canon completely, as I have an aversion to large heavy cameras. All I have left for the 5D2 is Zeiss 21 and 28 and Canon 100 IS macro, which tend not to leave the house.

I have a self imposed rule that any new acquisitions need to be 100% offset by sales. Currently have GH2, 20, 14-140 and 100-300 so only 20 in same league as aforementioned Canon/Zeiss lenses. I thought Panny 7-14 would be close (ish) to the Zeiss wide angles and the Leica-Panny 45 macro would replace the Canon 100 macro. Also think I could find uses for the Olympus 75mm.

As long as the macro is up to snuff, I'm fairly sanguine about "pixel-peeping" differences, as I've also got the Sigma DP2M and DP3M which have IQ beyond anything else I own.
One problem is I like to use 10 stop ND filter sometimes and the 7-14 has no filter ring - there are no M43 primes that equate to the Zeiss 21.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If 24mm eqv. is wide enough, I would clearly buy the Zuiko 12mm f/2.0 to replace your Zeiss 21. The Panasonic 7-14mm is good, but the Zuiko is better as well as 2 stops faster. It also allows the use of filters.

NigelC

If 24mm eqv. is wide enough, I would clearly buy the Zuiko 12mm f/2.0 to replace your Zeiss 21. The Panasonic 7-14mm is good, but the Zuiko is better as well as 2 stops faster. It also allows the use of filters.
Actually, according to photozone.de, the MTF figures for the Panasonic are better than the Olympus at 10 and 14m. Also, there is a big difference between 24 and 21 (FF equivalents). I think I would have to change my technique to stitch frames with the DP2M or GX7/20 (both having filter threads) using the 10 stop ND - it's usually a slow process on a tripod anyway.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
The Zuiko 12mm f/2.0 is an outstanding lens with its sweetpoint at f/8 . I never
leave that lens at home when strolling around with mx G1 and GX1 .