The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LUMIX GM1

hot

In early October Panasonic will launch the world smallest mirrorless camera LUMIX GM1 with interchangeable
lens mount
. It’s going to have the size of the Sony RX100 but with a large FT sensor inside.
It will also get rid of the mechanical shutter to save some space. It uses a fully electronic shutter
instead! As kit lens there will be a new 12-32mm pancake zoom.

V

Vivek

It will also get rid of the mechanical shutter to save some space.
If they want to make it thinner, then they should get rid of of AA/UV/IR stack of glass which is ~5mm thick!!

The mechanical shutter would hardly save them any space, in comparison.

ggibson

Sounds interesting enough for me to hold off my GX7 purchase until I see this new one. Electronic shutter sounds awesome, but will it be a "global" shutter (i.e. no electronic distortions with movement)?

raist3d

I am actually very interested to see the final product they come out with here. A camera like this with the version II F1.7 pancake makes for a very interesting proposition.

The question to me is, did they go "Mom/Dad/Pet mode/Baby mode" or LX5/LX7 ethos here. Handling to me matters a lot. If they have the "powershot wheel of death" in the back, that's minus points already.

Looking forward to thursday.

- Ricardo

V

Vivek

As long as it does not have a "Pro" logo plastered on it, I will take it. :angel:

cjlacz

If they want to make it thinner, then they should get rid of of AA/UV/IR stack of glass which is ~5mm thick!!

The mechanical shutter would hardly save them any space, in comparison.
Removing the glass wouldn't make a difference. The space required between the sensor and mount is defined in the spec. It seems like the shutter would fall under the same area, but unlike the glass I imagine it has supporting hardware around it. By removing that maybe they can place circuit boards and whatnot in that space allowing it to be a little smaller.

Always nice to have a little camera that takes the same lenses.

V

Vivek

If you had seen the sensor units of these you would understand about the glass stack and the thickness.

V

Vivek

" -4EV Support for low-light"

That is not the same as just -4EV focusing!

raist3d

Vivek, the -4EV spec does refer to focusing. It's the same as the GX7.
Also look at the sentence- it's a translation from Japanese and it does say so in the context of AF:

"- AF is 240fps of the lens drive. -4EV Support for low-light"

- Ricardo

V

Vivek

Vivek, the -4EV spec does refer to focusing. It's the same as the GX7.
Also look at the sentence- it's a translation from Japanese and it does say so in the context of AF:

"- AF is 240fps of the lens drive. -4EV Support for low-light"

- Ricardo
Let us hope that comes true, Ricardo. :)

raist3d

Let us hope that comes true, Ricardo. :)
Hey, I am not saying if it's true or not :) That's certainly a Panasonic marketing claim to verify. If it's true for the GX7, I don't see why it wouldn't be true for the GM1. If it's not true for the GM1, it's probably not true for the GX7 either.

But Panasonic is claiming it for the GM1, if that was the question :)

- Ricardo

mazor

thanks raist3d. I know the Sony NEX autofocus FPS is no where as good as the panasonics, and it shows by having slower AF speeds.

Was just checking to re-validate my preorder for an E1