The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OM-D E-M1 Shipment Notification

Knorp

Even better - it's sitting on my desk already !
Got a telephone call from another dealer, here in Amsterdam, who received a batch of E-M1 bodies earlier today.
And much to my surprise - one had my name on it ... :D
Anyway, familiarising myself now with the menus, buttons and switches.
Also having fun with my iPad shooting wirelessly.

Kind regards.

k-hawinkler

Congratulations!

The E-M1 is already turning into one of my favorite cameras.
It handles so well. Feels just right in my hands.
I am getting even much better along with the menu system compared to the E-M5.

jonoslack

Congratulations Bart
I hope you got one of the 'just announced' silver chrome bodies?

Incidentally, and FWIW, I've spent some time trying to get to the point where I only need the menu for formatting the card - I've got there . . . this is what I did"

AF, HDR buttons top left unchanged
FN1 set to AF area select. (With four way set to move the focus points
FN2 set to magnify area
Video button set for focus peaking
AEL/AFL set to lock AEL spot metering
When Switch set to 2 uses front dial for ISO. rear dial for WB (mode 1)
Front plate top set to manual WB
Bottom sets focus point to Home (not convinced by this)
Dials set to exp comp on front for PASM
On manual rear is Aperture, front is shutter speed

Shutter release set to AEL/AFL on half press . . .

Maybe it's worth a new thread to share settings?

Knorp

Congratulations Bart
I hope you got one of the 'just announced' silver chrome bodies?

Incidentally, and FWIW, I've spent some time trying to get to the point where I only need the menu for formatting the card - I've got there . . . this is what I did"

FN2 set to magnify area

Maybe it's worth a new thread to share settings?
As I recently learned 'black' is reserved for the 'pro grade bodies' ... guess that makes me a 'pro' now ... :p

Splendid idea to start a separate thread for collecting hints&tips and useful settings.

Kind regards.

scott kirkpatrick

Jono's settings and some questions:

FN2 set to magnify area

I had set my video button to MF , mostly to disable video, but your settings make me question whether it is necessary to set MF -- does the camera go to MF once a non-AF lens is detected? If so focus peaking on the video button and magnify on a FN button could take care of using a non M43 lens. Since the video button is more prominent, I guess which ever i prefer will go there, but I would like my E-PL5, E-P5 and E-M1 (not here yet) to all handle similarly. This would argue for putting magnify on the video button, as E-PL5 does not have focus peaking.

Which do you prefer, of the two focus aids, and do you also use them together?

scott

jonoslack

Jono's settings and some questions:

I had set my video button to MF , mostly to disable video, but your settings make me question whether it is necessary to set MF -- does the camera go to MF once a non-AF lens is detected?
Hi Scott - yes, it seems to.

If so focus peaking on the video button and magnify on a FN button could take care of using a non M43 lens. Since the video button is more prominent, I guess which ever i prefer will go there, but I would like my E-PL5, E-P5 and E-M1 (not here yet) to all handle similarly. This would argue for putting magnify on the video button, as E-PL5 does not have focus peaking.
I sympathise, but if you do that you're doomed to restrict what you do with the new camera - which seems sad.

Which do you prefer, of the two focus aids, and do you also use them together?

scott
Hrumph - well, to be absolutely honest I don't use either very much, I use µ43 mostly to use the excellent zooms and AF, but I have had a bit of fun with the APO telyt 135.

Personally I think the focus peaking is too strong - but I'm used to that on the M(240) which most people consider too weak!

all the best

Brian Mosley

If you're going to use manual lenses, I'd recommend you try using the front plate top button for focus peaking, bottom button for zoom. That seemed to work well for me when I tried it.

Cheers

Brian

k-hawinkler

If you're going to use manual lenses, I'd recommend you try using the front plate top button for focus peaking, bottom button for zoom. That seemed to work well for me when I tried it.

Cheers

Brian

Thanks Brian. That wouldn't disable the regular settings for magnification and focus peaking that would get switched on by simply turning the focus ring of Olympus AF lenses first, correct?

Knorp

:OT:
Gentlemen, please this thread is for shipment notifications only !
:OT:

For exchanging hints&tips, useful settings, reporting bugs or future firmware improvements: please go here - E-M1 settings - what are yours

Thank you so much ... :p :)

Kind regards.

k-hawinkler

Re: OM-D E-M1 Image

A simple test. :D :worthless:

OOC JPG from Olympus OM-D E-M1 + OLYMPUS M.75-300mm F4.8-6.7 II
@ ISO=25,600, f=8, 1/160 s, Focal Length=156 mm, Focal Length In 35mm Film: 312 mm.
Image is cropped and reduced in size, no other post-processing.
In camera parameters were: Contrast=-2, Saturation=0, Sharpness=+2, Noise Reduct.=Auto, Noise Filter=Standard.

JMaher

Godfrey, Received mine the other day. About 200 shots so far - all with the 25. Not one chatter yet. However 90% in manual and in the evening or night if that has any impact.

Jim

Godfrey

Godfrey, Received mine the other day. About 200 shots so far - all with the 25. Not one chatter yet. However 90% in manual and in the evening or night if that has any impact.
That's good to hear.

When mine arrives, I'll probably fit the 25mm and leave it on there for a month as I explore and learn the camera.

G

Brian Mosley

Jim
I think the chatter is due to the camera adjusting aperture to maintain exposure for live view. When you take a shot, there used to be an 'aperture dance' where the aperture was opened fully to focus, closed down to the aperture selected for exposure to open the shutter, and finally back to varying aperture for live view.

This could easily have been improved for the E-M1. The most chatter used to occur during live view in high contrast light conditions.

Cheers

Brian

Godfrey

I think the chatter is due to the camera adjusting aperture to maintain exposure for live view. When you take a shot, there used to be an 'aperture dance' where the aperture was opened fully to focus, closed down to the aperture selected for exposure to open the shutter, and finally back to varying aperture for live view.

This could easily have been improved for the E-M1. The most chatter used to occur during live view in high contrast light conditions.
Oh, I understand all that. But other lenses don't make so much noise and annoyance in the process of doing it, I don't understand why the Summilux is so singular in this regard. It's the noisiest little cha-cha I've ever seen on a camera with the E-PL1.

I just want my cameras and lenses to be quiet tools. They'll inevitably make some noise ... trying to work with something that sounds like a castanet at random moments is a severe annoyance.

G