The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OM-D E-M1 Shipment Notification

mazor

close, it is a penf lens, and is the 100mm f3.5.:). It will do the job for the time being until I can find a good deal on a 75mm 1.8 or when the next 40-150 pro lens is released ;)

k-hawinkler

Re: OM-D E-M1 Images

Olympus OM-D E-M1 + Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7 II Lens

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

mazor

nice pics k-hawinkler. Good use of the 75-300!! I am seriously considering one of these tele zooms. The only thing stopping me is the f4.7 to 6.7 and the slower focus speed on the E-M1 from when I tried my friends near new 75-300mm.

k-hawinkler

nice pics k-hawinkler. Good use of the 75-300!! I am seriously considering one of these tele zooms. The only thing stopping me is the f4.7 to 6.7 and the slower focus speed on the E-M1 from when I tried my friends near new 75-300mm.
Thanks. This combination seems to work for me.
The last image is from a 20 mile distance handheld.

k-hawinkler

Migrating cranes gaining height in a thermal.

k-hawinkler

A Raven Family?

Last edited:

mazor

wow, impressive shot k-hawinkler. It is like super duper sharp!!! You are making me envious as I just recently purchased the Panny 100-300 for my E-M1

k-hawinkler

I have the Olympus OM-D E-M1 + Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7 II Lens.
So an MFT camera and a 300 mm lens at max.
I also have the Nikon D800E + Nikkor AF-S 80-400 mm f/4.5-5.6 II lens.
So a FF camera and a 400 mm lens at max.
Comparing the two systems I always wondered which one would give me better resolution and therefore more detail?
So, I finally decided to figure it out.

Looking up DxOMark by DxO Labs - DxOMark for the pixel pitch of some of my cameras I find

that E-M1, E-M5, and NEX-7 form one group of pretty similar values.
Another such group is formed by NEX-5N, D800E, and A7R.
One now can work out how the D800E+400 mm lens compares to the E-M1+300 mm lens as follows:

Ratio R of D800E/E-M1 = (400/300) * (3.74/4.85) = 1.33 * 0.77 = 1.03

So it appears the D800E system has about a 3% resolution advantage over the E-M1 setup.
For all practical purposes that difference seems insignificant.
Other considerations seem therefore more important to which system one prefers for a given task.

A little sanity check seems in order whether our computational result fits well with an actual photographic comparison.
A friend and I visited Bandelier National Monument recently and were lucky enough to witness about a dozen Turkey Vultures flying to their roost just yards away from the Visitor Center.

First shown are complete images taken with the E-M1 and D800E at 12.5% of their original pixel size.

Next shown are 1900x1267 pixel areas at 50% of their original size.
Again first the E-M1 and then the D800E crop.

I think the images demonstrate that the same bird was photographed with the two camera systems at about the same time and distance. Both lenses were shot wide open with an ISO of 3200.

My conclusion:

• The E-M1 system has a lower bulk and weight advantage.

• The D800E system produced a less noisy image.
• Using it was also easier to frame the fairly low but fast flying birds.

Finally here are two shots of roosting Turkey Vultures my friend took with the E-M1 system.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am in the same boat with EM1 + 75-300II and D800E + TC2 + 2.8/80-200VRII

While the Oly combination is pretty nice to shoot and has MUCH less weight, the Nikon combination allows for much more predictable results WRT AF and also following (fast) moving subjects is much easier.

So for me there is still no clear winner. Just decided if I am lazy I go with the Oly combo, but if I really want to nail the shot (say on Safari) the Nikon still wins hands down.

I imagine very similar is true for the Fuji with their upcoming super tele zoom too.

k-hawinkler

Our friendly neighborhood alpha male coyote.

k-hawinkler

Re: OM-D E-M1 or E-M5 Images

American Robin Feeding Young

Olympus OM-D E-M5 + Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7 II Lens