The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX7 or E-M1, suddenly, it's a dilemma

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
When the GX7 was launched, I was impressed and somewhat surprised. Panasonic seemed to have gotten most things right on this camera, and I was tempted.

When the E-M1 was launched, it was the obvious choice. It can replace all of my Nikon gear except the D700 with some primes, and in the real world, with some extra investments, maybe that one too. But whatever way I look at it, it will cost money. So I started looking at what each camera offers and what my real needs are. Here it is:

OM-1
- Better AF
- Will AF with my PanaLeica 14-50mm
- Weather sealed
- Superior IBIS
- Better ergonomics
- Vertical grip option
- Deeper buffer
- Faster frame rate
- Looks more "professional"
- Better image quality (slightly)

GX7
- Smaller size, not so much, but enough to make it fit in a cargo or coat pocket.
- Better video
- Built-in flash
- Tiltable EVF
- Shares battery and charger with my GH2
- Looks less "professional"
- Lower price

Objectively speaking, I'm sure the Olympus is the better camera, and it should be. It's 40% more expensive. But the advantages of the Olympus are typically features that I would value when doing action and event photography, which I don't do much of these days. For travel and general photography, the GX7 is at least as well suited, often better.

And: The Zuiko 40-150 mm isn't out yet, making a Zuiko 50-200 4/3 a necessity. For paid work, I would need an Olympus backup body also.

It's tempting to buy a GX7 and use the Nikon gear till it starts dying, but maybe I'm just too scared to jump :rolleyes:

The jury will be working hard on this :)

Last edited:

Knorp

And ... the GX7 body is available in silver too :toocool:

Whatever your taste: choose wisely ... :lecture:

Kind regards.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
When the GX7 was launched, I was impressed and somewhat surprised. Panasonic seemed to have gotten most things right on this camera, and I was tempted.

When the E-M1 was launched, it was the obvious choice. It can replace all of my Nikon gear except the D700 with some primes, and in the real world, with some extra investments, maybe that one too. But whatever way I look at it, it will cost money. So I started looking at what each camera offers and what my real needs are. Here it is:

OM-1
- Better AF
- Will AF with my PanaLeica 14-50mm
- Weather sealed
- Superior IBIS
- Better ergonomics
- Vertical grip option
- Deeper buffer
- Faster frame rate
- Looks more "professional"
- Better image quality (slightly)

GX7
- Smaller size, not so much, but enough to make it fit in a cargo or coat pocket.
- Better video
- Built-in flash
- Tiltable EVF
- Shares battery and charger with my GH2
- Looks less "professional"
- Lower price

Objectively speaking, I'm sure the Olympus is the better camera, and it should be. It's 40% more expensive. But the advantages of the Olympus are typically features that I would value when doing action and event photography, which I don't do much of these days. For travel and general photography, the GX7 is at least as well suited, often better.

And: The Zuiko 40-150 mm isn't out yet, making a Zuiko 50-200 4/3 a necessity. For paid work, I would need an Olympus backup body also.

It's tempting to buy a GX7 and use the Nikon gear till it starts dying, but maybe I'm just too scared to jump :rolleyes:

The jury will be working hard on this :)
Well Jorgen, not sure where you can buy a digital OM-1 with AF etc. today?

Please be specific, I will immediately get one :D

jlm

Workshop Member
Omd lcd tlts
You can tap lcd to focus and snap pic
Those two features are excellent

ecsh

I suspect that after the holiday season this year, which is not that far away, both the new Panny and Olympus will have lost at least 20% of their value, and will be on sale. No early adoption for me.

jsnack

Omd lcd tlts
You can tap lcd to focus and snap pic
Those two features are excellent
You can do this on the GX7, too.

About the AF, some reviews put the GX7 faster than the EM1...but I'd say it pretty much depends on the lens.

Both are great cameras.

V

Vivek

Tapping LCD to focus is old news when it comes to Panasonic cams.

Faster AF on EM1 over the GX7 is a myth. There are only claims out there with no proof.

Brian Mosley

Tapping LCD to focus is old news when it comes to Panasonic cams.

Faster AF on EM1 over the GX7 is a myth. There are only claims out there with no proof.
Be fair Vivek, faster AF on the E-M1 is a defining feature. Unless the GX7 also has on-sensor pdaf?

It's a strange comparison though, since they are so different ergonomically.

Cheers

Brian

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Brian, Are there any tests out there to prove one focuses faster than the other?

What we have about the "defining feature" is based on what Olympus say.

Olympus cams (feature or no feature- until the EM-5, there were no integrated EVF, for example) had always been more expensive than the ones from Pana.

Sure the feature sets are very different as well as the form and size.

I am not disputing that the EM and the GX are at the forefront of m43rds being the latest.

BTW, it is the rich feature set in the GX7 that makes me wait. I really do not need the several dozen features on a compact cam. First, I do not want spend dozens of hours to figure out what is what and even if I do, it is highly unlikely that I would ever use even a fraction of them.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Well Jorgen, not sure where you can buy a digital OM-1 with AF etc. today?

Please be specific, I will immediately get one :D
Ah... E-M1 of course. I'm lost in the past :)

Yes, they are very different cameras. The E-M1 would be a perfect replacement for my Nikons, but until there is a longer large aperture telephoto lens available, they can't, so I would have to keep the Nikons for many applications anyway. When I remove paid jobs, the question is if the GX7 is a better camera for whatever is left, like travelling.

Another question is: My D2Xs is now moving towards 5% of its original value, which is a joke. It's still a fantastic camera, and it doesn't really make any sense selling it.

Last edited:

Godfrey

I try to keep all this stuff simple.

Love the style of the GX7 and its comparative simplicity.

The control ergonomics and support for my FT lenses is better with the E-M1. So I ordered one. If I want a compact system camera that takes the same lenses, I'll get an E-P5 body. It's the sane thing to do as it has most of the same features/menus/batteries/remotes/etc.

That's it for me.

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Been thinking a bit more about this, and what it boils down to is:

- I've been wanting a more compact m4/3 camera for some time now, but the models available have been lacking i specs, particularly the lack of a built-in EVF. The GX7 takes care of all that and more.

- I always question the need for an upgrade. Although the E-M1 is a more advanced camera than my Nikons in almost every possible way, the images I take won't change. When I do paid work, size and weight mostly isn't an issue, and when I'm out there with my eye glued to the viewfinder, the only technical thing I care about is that the camera works and all the buttons are where they were the last time I used it.

When the Panasonic 42.5mm and the Zuiko 40-150mm are released, the system will be more complete and useable for my needs. I don't see myself buying more 4/3 lenses to fill the gap when I have a fully functional Nikon setup already, particularly since selling it won't contribute much to the new system.

At the moment, it's a toss. I'll try the GX7 on Tuesday :)

ggibson

Always better to try things out in hand first. Ergonomics go a long way, and it's almost impossible to get a sense without having one in person.

But I think you're right about event vs. travel photography being a differentiating theme between the two. E-M1 = pro look, 4/3 glass AF, faster burst, vertical grip. GX7 = more portable, inconspicuous, silent mode.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Ah... E-M1 of course. I'm lost in the past :)

Yes, they are very different cameras. The E-M1 would be a perfect replacement for my Nikons, but until there is a longer large aperture telephoto lens available, they can't, so I would have to keep the Nikons for many applications anyway. When I remove paid jobs, the question is if the GX7 is a better camera for whatever is left, like travelling.

Another question is: My D2Xs is now moving towards 5% of its original value, which is a joke. It's still a fantastic camera, and it doesn't really make any sense selling it.
You arte right Jorgen! It would be actually good to buy cameras like D2X right now for the low price they are offered. I do have a general feeling that also my Nikon D800E will get used less over mid term future, as lenses are too expensive and weight/size is becoming more an issue for me. I am shooting wildlife, family and also prefer a light and compact travel cam (compared to FF DSLRs) - so the EM1 is the m43 camera which will do the job I think.

I will of course wait for the 2.8/40-150, which would then replace a Nikkor 2.8/300 which I actually never bought because of price. And adding the 1.2/42 this would give a highly useable 1.4/85 FF replacement. Add the 1.8/75 this would give a pretty good, almost perfect overall system and make the Nikon pretty obsolete for me - I must say I do not need the 36MP for what I am shooting.

So over time (in maybe 2 years) the Olympus m43 based on a EM1 (or next iteration( could become my only system left. For higher quality, better features and much less wight and money! Looks pretty promising.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Ummm... now, they offer a GX kit with the revised 20mm f/1.7 for around $250 more than body only. That lens retails for $500 here, and I don't have a "normal" prime for m4/3. Hmmmm....

Difference between the 2 cameras was $500, but this increases it to $750. That's more than I would get for my more or less mint D2Xs should I decide to sell it. The weird, weird world of electronic gadgets... lol

mmbma

the 20mm 1.7 does not sell for 500. Can be had for below 300 easily on the forum or on ebay. I got the 17.5mm and the 25mm 1.4. I wonder if the 20mm can replace both of them???

Going back to topic. What if you already had a OMD EM5 and want to keep that as a back up body. THEN which one would you get? EM1 or GX7?

V

Vivek

the 20mm 1.7 does not sell for 500. Can be had for below 300 easily on the forum or on ebay.
No you can not.

The 20/1.7 II costs more.

It is not just cameras that get updated often in m43rds but also the lenses, starting from the kit lenses.. there are different colored versions as well.

The 20/1.7 I only came in one color version.

The 20/1.7 II comes in 2 different (silver and black) colors.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
What Vivek said, plus the version II has improved AF (a distinct weakness of the original version) and more solid build (metal instead of plastic).

ggibson

What Vivek said, plus the version II has improved AF (a distinct weakness of the original version) and more solid build (metal instead of plastic).
Unfortunately it doesn't have improved AF according to all that I've read. Looks nice on the GX7 though!