The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX7 or E-M1, suddenly, it's a dilemma

Godfrey

The HLD-7 battery grip for the E-M1 arrived at the store, I went there to pick it up before driving to the office. While there, I noticed they had the Panasonic GX7 back in stock and I had a chance to play with it.

- The body is very nice just as it is ... good to hold, doesn't need a grip extension, etc.
- It seems fast and easy to get around in the menus.

The let-down is likely relative to what I've "become used to" ... Compared with the E-M1 EVF, the GX7 is definitely a significant step down. The clarity is there, but it seems small and dim by comparison to what I get out of the E-M1. The illusion of being an optical viewfinder is lacking.

I do like the built-in viewfinder articulation and the overall feel of the body, but the GX7 is definitely "prosumer" where the E-M1 is definitely "pro grade". With the HLD-7 fitted, the E-M1 is the next step beyond the E-1, E-3, and E-5 DSLRs with overall better performance and operation.

I'd put the GX7 as being a good follow-on to the L1 ... a prosumer grade camera, but not quite up to the level of a pro grade camera.

G

deckitout

I would agree. I ordered my EM1 today, The EM5 didn't suit me ergonomically.

I have purchased a GX7 today to compliment the EM1, The GX7 is very a nice handling Camera indeed, lots of direct access options which suit me well.

Godfrey

I did some stress-testing of the E-M1 AF system with 35mm Macro and 11-22 lenses last evening. I dropped the light levels in my living room to enable ISO 6400 @ wide open apertures around 1/20-1/30 second, just let the S-AF do it's thing (with the assist light off). On several occasions, I had to coax it and force it to re-focus a couple of times, and it was sometimes a bit slow to find a target and lock on. Switched to MF, the E-M1 focus was easy to do, quick and accurate.

Note that this is exactly what I used to see with the E-5 AND see now with the E-1 as well. But they're a lot harder to focus manually at those light levels...

Olympus E-M1 + ZD 35mm f/3.5 Macro
ISO 6400 @ f/5 @ 1/5 second
S-AF+M, OOC JPEG, no adjustments, resized

I'm completely satisfied with the E-M1's performance.

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen Udvang lovely bokeh in that shot, what lens was used here?
The Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 wide open. It's a must have on m4/3 :lecture:
Oh, and it's taken with a GH3, the camera I bought instead of the E-M1 or GX7, so it's rather off topic :OT: :ROTFL:

Last edited: