The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus E-M1

Thorkil

Frankly, I find that Df rather interesting :shocked:
And it comes in silver chrome too ...

:dh2: :deadhorse: :dh2:

All the best.
(just very quit spoken, so noone hear: but the E-m1 is still very tempting for me too, perhaps a twist better colours than Nikon, different, along with the Sony's, can't figure it out, and I could be fully functional with just the 2 lenses 12-40 and a 7-14 pana....but would I be happy tooo, that’s the question...so if anyone feel like an after-opinion/evolution on the E-M1...when the Classic first excitement have settled Down, I would be happy to hear)(apart from that Bart, the silver Df look cheaper in real life, somebody claimed, perhaps a Black...sorry)
(thorkil)

jonoslack

(just very quit spoken, so noone hear: but the E-m1 is still very tempting for me too, perhaps a twist better colours than Nikon, different, along with the Sony's, can't figure it out, and I could be fully functional with just the 2 lenses 12-40 and a 7-14 pana....but would I be happy tooo, that’s the question...so if anyone feel like an after-opinion/evolution on the E-M1...when the Classic first excitement have settled Down, I would be happy to hear)(apart from that Bart, the silver Df look cheaper in real life, somebody claimed, perhaps a Black...sorry)
(thorkil)
Hi there
Well, I'll chip in here

First of all, go and look at
Guess the Format
What starts as a silly game ends up being really enlightening. Then, if you haven't already done so, read Tim Ashley's review of the 12-40 zoom.

I think you're right about lenses, then there will be the 40-150 f2.8 early next year. But there are also other lovely lenses like the 75 f1.8. It's also worth reading photozone.de about these lenses (they are usually very mean). Then read what they say about the Nikon 24-120 f4 and the Canon 24-105.

The E-M1 is just a lovely camera. An hour spent getting the things you want on the buttons means you only need go near the menu to format the card.

The image stabilisation really counts as magical, adding M and R lenses is excellent good fun (80-200 becomes 160-400 f4!).

No-Brainer, really! Buy One!

.........and Bob's (docmore's) excellent Df photos look like displaying the Nasty Nikon Yellow cast. however desirable 16mp FF in a small box may seem .....

All the best

Thorkil

Hi there
Well, I'll chip in here

Guess the Format
What starts as a silly game ends up being really enlightening. Then, if you haven't already done so, read Tim Ashley's review of the 12-40 zoom.

I think you're right about lenses, then there will be the 40-150 f2.8 early next year. But there are also other lovely lenses like the 75 f1.8. It's also worth reading photozone.de about these lenses (they are usually very mean). Then read what they say about the Nikon 24-120 f4 and the Canon 24-105.

The E-M1 is just a lovely camera. An hour spent getting the things you want on the buttons means you only need go near the menu to format the card.

The image stabilisation really counts as magical, adding M and R lenses is excellent good fun (80-200 becomes 160-400 f4!).

No-Brainer, really! Buy One!

.........and Bob's (docmore's) excellent Df photos look like displaying the Nasty Nikon Yellow cast. however desirable 16mp FF in a small box may seem .....

All the best
Thank you Jono! Yes I’ have read some around, also Tim's, and I like his way, starting out to be an optimist, and slowly turns out to be a heavy pessimist, if there is a seriously reason for it (and he don't hesitate to dig it all out). This time I would like to hit it on the nail. And sometimes it's not only a matter of the camera is a fit for you, but also if you are mentally geared to thrust and fully use that particular camera.
Sometimes I need 100% crops, but the E-M1 seems not worse than the Df in that area.
They would both be very efficient I guess. But efficiency in itself can be booring.
Yes colours are an issue, and perhaps it’s still an issue on a Df, it was at the D3 and D800E too, for me, at least
best
thorkil

scott kirkpatrick

Hi there
Well, I'll chip in here

Guess the Format

We do live in interesting times. I've picked up the amazingly sharp and easy to use m.Zuiko 60/2.8 after exploring the Macro-Elmarit R 60/2.8 on both the Olympus 4/3 and M[240] bodies. The 30 year old R design is mellow and will be fun to use on the M[240] but the dirt-cheap m.Z will probably get more use. Even the lovely 11-22 Zuiko from the E-1 days, while it gives nothing away to the new 12-40 WunderLens at its wide angle end, is roughly twice as big and twice as heavy as the newer lens. I won't miss focal lengths from 23 to 40 mm, and I hope someday intense pixel-peeping will show me that the honest effort to achieve contrast and resolution without software to take care of chromatic aberation and provide corner sharpness was justified.

After reading Carl Weese's note on how "two wheels are better than one" on TOP, I went back to the E-1 manual and realized that all the controls that feel so nice on the E-M1 were there at the very beginning of Olympus' digital series.

Now if it would only stop raining...

scott

Last edited:

Godfrey

Sometimes when I walk, something touches my eye in a way that connects.

Olympus E-M1 + 14mm f/2.5

The great risk is whether what you buy to make photos with a) does the job, and b) makes you happy. The E-M1 is doing both for me; I am happy.

Thanks for looking, enjoy!

G

"The fact that nobody understands you doesn't make you an artist."

Godfrey

After reading Carl Weese's note on how "two wheels are better than one" on TOP, I went back to the E-1 manual and realized that all the controls that feel so nice on the E-M1 were there at the very beginning of Olympus' digital series.
Indeed. I don't think I'll ever sell the E-1 either. I'll use it until it becomes inert, and then honor it with a place in my personal cupboard "Camera Hall of Fame" alongside the Nikon F, the Hasselblad SWC, the Minox IIIS, and the Leica CL ...

G

jonoslack

The great risk is whether what you buy to make photos with a) does the job, and b) makes you happy. The E-M1 is doing both for me; I am happy.

Thanks for looking, enjoy!

G

"The fact that nobody understands you doesn't make you an artist."
Excellent Godfrey - lovely photo as well.

jonoslack

Indeed. I don't think I'll ever sell the E-1 either. I'll use it until it becomes inert, and then honor it with a place in my personal cupboard "Camera Hall of Fame" alongside the Nikon F, the Hasselblad SWC, the Minox IIIS, and the Leica CL ...

G
Me too - and my "Camera Hall of Fame" is much smaller than yours! (only three cameras, and the E1 is one of 'em).

jlm

Workshop Member
we just completed this stair railing/balustrade; 4 flights and many, many components! all blackened steel.

E1 with 4/3 14-35, jpgs as C1 is not working for the Em1 yet and they look pretty good out of camera

Last edited:

Thorkil

Which Thorkil
Happiness . . . . or
Doing the Job

I think they're the same thing :eek::ROTFL:
Yes....being happy getting the job done....:angel:
or...being happy while doing the job....
or....being happy thinking of a job...
or...a job thinking of being happy
:loco:
:D
no job is easy...unless you are happy....:angel:

thorkil
Ps...dare not mention, what a job it is thinking of new camera's :)

Thorkil

we just completed this stair railing/balustrade; 4 flights and many, many components! all blackened steel.

E1 with 4/3 14-35, jogs as C1 is not working for the Em1 yet and they look pretty good out of camera
what a weldone stairway...also from an architect point of wiev(!)
thorkil

scott kirkpatrick

Me too - and my "Camera Hall of Fame" is much smaller than yours! (only three cameras, and the E1 is one of 'em).
Instead of a "Hall of Fame," I have a virtual "Camera Valhalla" of beloved cameras no longer with me. There was a Nikon F and a Rolleicord loaned out so long ago that their present location is completely unknown, and an E-1 that left in the hands of burglars, accompanied by a bag of Olympus lenses that today would be to die for.

Now with E-Bay helping to cull the slower beasts in the herd, does anyone else have candidates for the Valhalla of cameras let go too soon?

scott