The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus E-M1

scott kirkpatrick

we just completed this stair railing/balustrade; 4 flights and many, many components! all blackened steel.

E1 with 4/3 14-35, jpgs as C1 is not working for the Em1 yet and they look pretty good out of camera

That's a lovely stair railing, but how were the angles arrived at (by the designer)? Were the diamonds formed where the wires cross made to have 60 and 120 degree angles, (or perhaps 45 and 135), or is there some other feng shui employed to set the angles and spacings?

scott

mazor

jlm, if you need RAW support for C1, you can get it to work by crudely editing the RAW EXIF file from E-M1 to E-P1 before trying to load it using C1

jlm

Workshop Member
the basic concept primarily was to have the angled rods appear to wrap continuously at the corner and mid posts. we played around a bit with the actual angles to arrive at a compromise between the rods and the pitch angle. an empirical sort of thing. made a few prototypes, fiddled around with rod diameters, etc. (5/16" was too thick, 1/4" was just right…)

Godfrey

Olympus E-M1 + Macro-Elmarit-DG 45mm f/2.8 ASPH OIS

from my saturday morning walk.

thanks for looking. comments always appreciated.

scott kirkpatrick

jlm, if you need RAW support for C1, you can get it to work by crudely editing the RAW EXIF file from E-M1 to E-P1 before trying to load it using C1
Disguising the file as E-P5 would work better (almost the same sensor, same processing chip). But Phase has had E-M1's for some time. 7.1.6 can't be very far away and should support the M1. At least I keep checking for updates.

scott

Amin

The E-M1 is just a lovely camera. An hour spent getting the things you want on the buttons means you only need go near the menu to format the card.
With all the customization options on this camera, I wish they would offer one more: hold down Fn1, Fn2, Fn3 at the same time and the camera asks if you really want to format the card. Then I would never have to touch the menu for anything :D.

I'm really loving the E-M1 with the Voigtlander lenses. I keep on Fn button assigned to magnification and another assigned to peaking. I usually don't need either of those focus aids, but each has its place, and overall I find the experience to satisfying in the same way as shooting my Leica M9 was.

Godfrey

By the latter part of Saturday's walk, the threat of rain had disappeared, clouds blown to the east and north, and the sun came out. The chill remained, however, and the light had that glinty, harsh severity of winter in it.

Olympus E-M1 + Macro-Elmarit-DG 45mm f/2.8 ASPH OIS

Thanks for looking. Comments always appreciated.

gib48189

Shot with an OM-50mm,1.8. Really getting to like using manual glass again. Sorry Godfrey, but this is really Winter. A bit of frost on the window-

etrigan63

Most impressive Gib! Nothing like that ever down here (except in a meat locker). Well my E-M1 may be in my hands as soon as tomorrow. Getting the 17mm f/1.8 with it. I picked up the 40-150mm for $119 during Black Friday. The 12-40 f/2.8 and the 40-150 f/2.8 are definitely in the plan. Now if they would come up with a nice wide zoom for the trifecta.

Godfrey

I carried the ZD 50-200 and EC-14 for my walk in the park Saturday morning, hoping to try my luck at shooting a couple of birds. Not a bird in the sky the entire time I was there.

Such it is, I looked for new ways of seeing my usual subjects with this telephoto perspective. :)

Olympus E-M1 + ZD 50-200mm + EC-14
ISO 200 @ f/5.6 @ 1/2000 @ 147mm

ISO 200 @ f/5.6 @ 1/1000 @ 165mm

ISO 200 @ f/5.6 @ 1/500 @ 153mm

The ZD 50-200 + EC-14 is a big, long lens, the HLD7 fitted to the E-M1 accommodates it very nicely making a reasonable size package. Focusing was quick and sure, both manual and auto; sharpness and clarity excellent. The image stabilization makes getting crisp sharp images without camera motion blur a piece of cake.

Thanks for looking, comments always appreciated.

G

Annna T

I like that first one ! Great tones for those curved lines.

I carried the ZD 50-200 and EC-14 for my walk in the park Saturday morning, hoping to try my luck at shooting a couple of birds. Not a bird in the sky the entire time I was there.

Such it is, I looked for new ways of seeing my usual subjects with this telephoto perspective. :)

ISO 200 @ f/5.6 @ 1/2000 @ 147mm

Thanks for looking, comments always appreciated.

G

Godfrey

Thank you!

A few color shots with the same combination, ZD 50-200 + EC-14.

ISO 320 @ f/5.6 @ 1/320 @ 143mm

ISO 200 @ f/5.6 @ 1/2500 @ 258mm

ISO 200 @ f/5.6 @ 1/400 @ 174mm

thanks for looking!

Riley

nice ones Glenn
I got 'orrible speckled skies with M1 because I wanted/needed to shoot at 5 secs