G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with the Olympus E-M1

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    sorry
    thorkil
    my fault entirely. it's lucky we have Godfrey to keep us in order (sorry Godfrey)

Just this guy you know
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Frankly, I find that Df rather interesting
    And it comes in silver chrome too ...

:dh2: :dh2:

All the best.
    (just very quit spoken, so noone hear: but the E-m1 is still very tempting for me too, perhaps a twist better colours than Nikon, different, along with the Sony's, can't figure it out, and I could be fully functional with just the 2 lenses 12-40 and a 7-14 pana....but would I be happy tooo, that’s the question...so if anyone feel like an after-opinion/evolution on the E-M1...when the Classic first excitement have settled Down, I would be happy to hear)(apart from that Bart, the silver Df look cheaper in real life, somebody claimed, perhaps a Black...sorry)
    (thorkil)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Godfrey!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

(just very quit spoken, so noone hear: but the E-m1 is still very tempting for me too, perhaps a twist better colours than Nikon, different, along with the Sony's, can't figure it out, and I could be fully functional with just the 2 lenses 12-40 and a 7-14 pana....but would I be happy tooo, that’s the question...so if anyone feel like an after-opinion/evolution on the E-M1...when the Classic first excitement have settled Down, I would be happy to hear)(apart from that Bart, the silver Df look cheaper in real life, somebody claimed, perhaps a Black...sorry)
    (thorkil)
    Hi there
    Well, I'll chip in here

First of all, go and look at
    Guess the Format
    What starts as a silly game ends up being really enlightening. Then, if you haven't already done so, read Tim Ashley's review of the 12-40 zoom.

I think you're right about lenses, then there will be the 40-150 f2.8 early next year. But there are also other lovely lenses like the 75 f1.8. It's also worth reading photozone.de about these lenses (they are usually very mean). Then read what they say about the Nikon 24-120 f4 and the Canon 24-105.

The E-M1 is just a lovely camera. An hour spent getting the things you want on the buttons means you only need go near the menu to format the card.

The image stabilisation really counts as magical, adding M and R lenses is excellent good fun (80-200 becomes 160-400 f4!).

No-Brainer, really! Buy One!

.........and Bob's (docmore's) excellent Df photos look like displaying the Nasty Nikon Yellow cast. however desirable 16mp FF in a small box may seem .....

All the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Very nice indeed, Amin!

G
    Plus one. Lovely Amin

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi there
    Well, I'll chip in here

Guess the Format
    What starts as a silly game ends up being really enlightening. Then, if you haven't already done so, read Tim Ashley's review of the 12-40 zoom.

I think you're right about lenses, then there will be the 40-150 f2.8 early next year. But there are also other lovely lenses like the 75 f1.8. It's also worth reading photozone.de about these lenses (they are usually very mean). Then read what they say about the Nikon 24-120 f4 and the Canon 24-105.

The E-M1 is just a lovely camera. An hour spent getting the things you want on the buttons means you only need go near the menu to format the card.

The image stabilisation really counts as magical, adding M and R lenses is excellent good fun (80-200 becomes 160-400 f4!).

No-Brainer, really! Buy One!

.........and Bob's (docmore's) excellent Df photos look like displaying the Nasty Nikon Yellow cast. however desirable 16mp FF in a small box may seem .....

All the best
    Thank you Jono! Yes I’ have read some around, also Tim's, and I like his way, starting out to be an optimist, and slowly turns out to be a heavy pessimist, if there is a seriously reason for it (and he don't hesitate to dig it all out). This time I would like to hit it on the nail. And sometimes it's not only a matter of the camera is a fit for you, but also if you are mentally geared to thrust and fully use that particular camera.
    Sometimes I need 100% crops, but the E-M1 seems not worse than the Df in that area.
    They would both be very efficient I guess. But efficiency in itself can be booring.
    Yes colours are an issue, and perhaps it’s still an issue on a Df, it was at the D3 and D800E too, for me, at least
    best
    thorkil

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there
    Well, I'll chip in here

Guess the Format

We do live in interesting times. I've picked up the amazingly sharp and easy to use m.Zuiko 60/2.8 after exploring the Macro-Elmarit R 60/2.8 on both the Olympus 4/3 and M[240] bodies. The 30 year old R design is mellow and will be fun to use on the M[240] but the dirt-cheap m.Z will probably get more use. Even the lovely 11-22 Zuiko from the E-1 days, while it gives nothing away to the new 12-40 WunderLens at its wide angle end, is roughly twice as big and twice as heavy as the newer lens. I won't miss focal lengths from 23 to 40 mm, and I hope someday intense pixel-peeping will show me that the honest effort to achieve contrast and resolution without software to take care of chromatic aberation and provide corner sharpness was justified.

After reading Carl Weese's note on how "two wheels are better than one" on TOP, I went back to the E-1 manual and realized that all the controls that feel so nice on the E-M1 were there at the very beginning of Olympus' digital series.

Now if it would only stop raining...

scott
    Last edited by scott kirkpatrick; 9th December 2013 at 03:42.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes when I walk, something touches my eye in a way that connects.

Olympus E-M1 + 14mm f/2.5

The great risk is whether what you buy to make photos with a) does the job, and b) makes you happy. The E-M1 is doing both for me; I am happy.

Thanks for looking, enjoy!

G

"The fact that nobody understands you doesn't make you an artist."
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post
    After reading Carl Weese's note on how "two wheels are better than one" on TOP, I went back to the E-1 manual and realized that all the controls that feel so nice on the E-M1 were there at the very beginning of Olympus' digital series.
    Indeed. I don't think I'll ever sell the E-1 either. I'll use it until it becomes inert, and then honor it with a place in my personal cupboard "Camera Hall of Fame" alongside the Nikon F, the Hasselblad SWC, the Minox IIIS, and the Leica CL ...

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The great risk is whether what you buy to make photos with a) does the job, and b) makes you happy. The E-M1 is doing both for me; I am happy.

Thanks for looking, enjoy!

G

"The fact that nobody understands you doesn't make you an artist."
    Excellent Godfrey - lovely photo as well.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Indeed. I don't think I'll ever sell the E-1 either. I'll use it until it becomes inert, and then honor it with a place in my personal cupboard "Camera Hall of Fame" alongside the Nikon F, the Hasselblad SWC, the Minox IIIS, and the Leica CL ...

G
    Me too - and my "Camera Hall of Fame" is much smaller than yours! (only three cameras, and the E1 is one of 'em).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

...that's what's it's all about....

thorkil

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

...that's what's it's all about....

thorkil
    Which Thorkil
    Happiness . . . . or
    Doing the Job

I think they're the same thing

Just this guy you know

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

we just completed this stair railing/balustrade; 4 flights and many, many components! all blackened steel.

E1 with 4/3 14-35, jpgs as C1 is not working for the Em1 yet and they look pretty good out of camera

Last edited by jlm; 9th December 2013 at 10:31.
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Which Thorkil
    Happiness . . . . or
    Doing the Job

I think they're the same thing
    Yes....being happy getting the job done....
    or...being happy while doing the job....
    or....being happy thinking of a job...
    or...a job thinking of being happy

no job is easy...unless you are happy....

thorkil
    Ps...dare not mention, what a job it is thinking of new camera's

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    we just completed this stair railing/balustrade; 4 flights and many, many components! all blackened steel.

E1 with 4/3 14-35, jogs as C1 is not working for the Em1 yet and they look pretty good out of camera
    what a weldone stairway...also from an architect point of wiev(!)
    thorkil

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done, lovely stair case and railing!

Post Thanks / Like

Me too - and my "Camera Hall of Fame" is much smaller than yours! (only three cameras, and the E1 is one of 'em).
    Instead of a "Hall of Fame," I have a virtual "Camera Valhalla" of beloved cameras no longer with me. There was a Nikon F and a Rolleicord loaned out so long ago that their present location is completely unknown, and an E-1 that left in the hands of burglars, accompanied by a bag of Olympus lenses that today would be to die for.

Now with E-Bay helping to cull the slower beasts in the herd, does anyone else have candidates for the Valhalla of cameras let go too soon?

scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post

E1 with 4/3 14-35, jpgs as C1 is not working for the Em1 yet and they look pretty good out of camera

That's a lovely stair railing, but how were the angles arrived at (by the designer)? Were the diamonds formed where the wires cross made to have 60 and 120 degree angles, (or perhaps 45 and 135), or is there some other feng shui employed to set the angles and spacings?

scott

Post Thanks / Like

jlm, if you need RAW support for C1, you can get it to work by crudely editing the RAW EXIF file from E-M1 to E-P1 before trying to load it using C1

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the basic concept primarily was to have the angled rods appear to wrap continuously at the corner and mid posts. we played around a bit with the actual angles to arrive at a compromise between the rods and the pitch angle. an empirical sort of thing. made a few prototypes, fiddled around with rod diameters, etc. (5/16" was too thick, 1/4" was just right…)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Olympus E-M1 + Macro-Elmarit-DG 45mm f/2.8 ASPH OIS

from my saturday morning walk.

thanks for looking. comments always appreciated.
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's lovely Godfrey, delicate and good

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    jlm, if you need RAW support for C1, you can get it to work by crudely editing the RAW EXIF file from E-M1 to E-P1 before trying to load it using C1
    Disguising the file as E-P5 would work better (almost the same sensor, same processing chip). But Phase has had E-M1's for some time. 7.1.6 can't be very far away and should support the M1. At least I keep checking for updates.

scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Floating in the Sunlight

12-40
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

With all the customization options on this camera, I wish they would offer one more: hold down Fn1, Fn2, Fn3 at the same time and the camera asks if you really want to format the card. Then I would never have to touch the menu for anything .

I'm really loving the E-M1 with the Voigtlander lenses. I keep on Fn button assigned to magnification and another assigned to peaking. I usually don't need either of those focus aids, but each has its place, and overall I find the experience to satisfying in the same way as shooting my Leica M9 was.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

By the latter part of Saturday's walk, the threat of rain had disappeared, clouds blown to the east and north, and the sun came out. The chill remained, however, and the light had that glinty, harsh severity of winter in it.

Olympus E-M1 + Macro-Elmarit-DG 45mm f/2.8 ASPH OIS

Thanks for looking. Comments always appreciated.
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Shot with an OM-50mm,1.8. Really getting to like using manual glass again. Sorry Godfrey, but this is really Winter. A bit of frost on the window-

Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Most impressive Gib! Nothing like that ever down here (except in a meat locker). Well my E-M1 may be in my hands as soon as tomorrow. Getting the 17mm f/1.8 with it. I picked up the 40-150mm for $119 during Black Friday. The 12-40 f/2.8 and the 40-150 f/2.8 are definitely in the plan. Now if they would come up with a nice wide zoom for the trifecta.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography | Sony 𝛼7 II - 2 Sony FE Zooms - Lots of Canon FD Glass | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS

Post Thanks / Like

Since it snowed today, here are a few more, all with the OM-50mm,1.8

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I carried the ZD 50-200 and EC-14 for my walk in the park Saturday morning, hoping to try my luck at shooting a couple of birds. Not a bird in the sky the entire time I was there.

Such it is, I looked for new ways of seeing my usual subjects with this telephoto perspective. :-)

Olympus E-M1 + ZD 50-200mm + EC-14
    ISO 200 @ f/5.6 @ 1/2000 @ 147mm

ISO 200 @ f/5.6 @ 1/1000 @ 165mm

ISO 200 @ f/5.6 @ 1/500 @ 153mm

The ZD 50-200 + EC-14 is a big, long lens, the HLD7 fitted to the E-M1 accommodates it very nicely making a reasonable size package. Focusing was quick and sure, both manual and auto; sharpness and clarity excellent. The image stabilization makes getting crisp sharp images without camera motion blur a piece of cake.

Thanks for looking, comments always appreciated.

G
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like that first one ! Great tones for those curved lines.

I carried the ZD 50-200 and EC-14 for my walk in the park Saturday morning, hoping to try my luck at shooting a couple of birds. Not a bird in the sky the entire time I was there.

Such it is, I looked for new ways of seeing my usual subjects with this telephoto perspective. :-)

ISO 200 @ f/5.6 @ 1/2000 @ 147mm

Thanks for looking, comments always appreciated.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    I like that first one ! Great tones for those curved lines.
    +1 from me - stunning photo Godfrey - you are making that camera sing!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!

A few color shots with the same combination, ZD 50-200 + EC-14.

ISO 320 @ f/5.6 @ 1/320 @ 143mm

ISO 200 @ f/5.6 @ 1/2500 @ 258mm

ISO 200 @ f/5.6 @ 1/400 @ 174mm

thanks for looking!
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

nice ones Glenn
    I got 'orrible speckled skies with M1 because I wanted/needed to shoot at 5 secs

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Glenn, would be nice to hear about the lenses, specially the wide ones.
    Thanks in advance.
    thorkil

Post Thanks / Like

Glenn, would be nice to hear about the lenses, specially the wide ones.
    Thanks in advance.
    thorkil
    Sorry, I should have said, all taken with the Oly 12-40. ISO 800 and the lowest shutter speed, all hand-held, wad 1/15 sec

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay, thanks, good!
    thorkil

Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick question about ISO on the EM1. Is there a way of tayloring how the auto ISO works with regards to low and shutter speeds. I find periodically over riding the auto ISO in favor of a lower ISO than Auto to get a higher quality image, where a faster shutter is not required. I know of settings for auto ISO low and high constraints.

=====
    Update
    =====

Ok I managed to find the solution. By changing the flash slow limit changes the shutter speed. What I found interesting was that the Auto ISO will use the flash low limit setting as long as you use the 12-40mm at 12mm. Apply zoom, and it will automatically increase the shutter accordingly up to 40mm. This indeed is clever, as with any tele focal length it can be harder to stabilize at slower shutter speeds.

Kudos Olympus on thinking of this
    Last edited by mazor; 16th December 2013 at 20:16.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Happy Holidays to All

20131116-PB160044-Edit by jmmtampa, on Flickr

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The cat looks thrilled to death. Great picture!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography | Sony 𝛼7 II - 2 Sony FE Zooms - Lots of Canon FD Glass | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS

Post Thanks / Like

Batman´s end
    What a difference a simple rubber mask can make to the scene

Olympus E-M1 + M.Zuiko 45, no NR
    ISO200 @ f1.8, 1/60 second, 45 mm focal length

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Apple has shipped a new version of Camera Raw, which includes support for the E-M1 .ORF files.

Go for it, Jono! :-)

G

Post Thanks / Like

Olympus E-M1 with 12-40 pro

Really enjoying the handling of this camera combo. Out of camera JPG editing and cropping.

Post Thanks / Like

Apple has shipped a new version of Camera Raw, which includes support for the E-M1 .ORF files.

G
    Santa just came early this year Godfrey, thanks for the news.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

G
    At last - now C1 and I'm happy ...

Kind regards.
    Bart ...