The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus E-M1

jonoslack

Beautiful shots, Jono. How do you compare the Oly 60 Macro with the 45 Macro Elmarit which if I am not wrong you have/had.
HI There Ario
I sold the 45 in a rash moment when I thought the NEX 7 was a better idea (a long time ago now - I won't be making the same mistake).

As for relative quality, they're both great, maybe the 45 has the edge, but I like the longer focal length and weather sealing of the Olympus (I think the focusing is faster too).

All the best

dhsimmonds

Beautiful shots, Jono. How do you compare the Oly 60 Macro with the 45 Macro Elmarit which if I am not wrong you have/had.
I have both lenses and the 60mm Oly is very much sharper for technical work but the Panny-Leica 45 whilst not quite so sharp but renders a far more pleasing effect for certain types of images in my view.

Summary: Oly 60mm macro is a clinically sharp lens
Panny/Leica 45mm macro renders a more artistic image with a
more pleasing bokeh (see mouse image in my gallery!)

Godfrey

The Macro-Elmarit certainly produces beautiful images. I've used the Oly 60 yet.

The odd way this is going is that I may well end up with an Olympus body and use all Leica design lenses with it. 15/1.7, 25/1.4, 43/1.2, 45/2.8 macro ... and then my Leica R lenses from 50 to 180 mm. Hmm ... :)

G

Brian Mosley

Godfrey, I do love the rendering character of the 25mm f1.4... but it could do with being metal build and quieter aperture blades.

Cheers

Brian

Godfrey

Godfrey, I do love the rendering character of the 25mm f1.4... but it could do with being metal build and quieter aperture blades.
Certainly. But it isn't, and it doesn't matter much given how it works. (I've not yet heard it 'rattlesnake' on the E-M1, thank the gods for small favors.)

If they re-issue it in a metal, weather-sealed mount, I'll buy it again. But I'm happy with it as it is. I'm waiting for the Summilux 15mm to become available now.

G

Godfrey

Lovely work, Jim!

Did my first "real" photos with the E-M1 on Monday, should have time tonight to process a couple for posting.

G

JMaher

Godfrey,

Thanks!

Here's the funny part - we were a little late for the best sunset so we had too rush our shooting time. I had brought the Canon 5D3 with an 85. Since I was using a studio light on battery I couldn't use the modeling light (kills the battery in no time) and after a few minutes I put the 5D3 away pulled the EM-1 out of the trunk and because it has a red focus assist light I shot over 80% of everything with it. I told a friend about this on the way home (an avid Canon shooter) and he said it was now obvious which was the best camera - THE ONE THAT WORKED.

Jim

Godfrey

I took the E-M1 out for a walk yesterday carrying two lens setups: a Summicron-R 90mm f/2 and a Panasonic Lumix G 14mm f/2.5 fitted with Sony .75x wide converter. Fun ... work two entirely different FoVs and lens types for a half hour walk.

I set the camera to square format as you can see, took the grip off, set up Aperture priority and my usual control arrangement, set Auto ISO to run up to ISO 800, and fitted a Street Strap.

I'll post photos later on, but let me tell you: this camera is terrific. The responsiveness is superb, the manual focusing is superb, the AF is superb ... It is right on the verge of disappearing in my hands. Just another day or two and it will. That's the most valuable thing any camera can do for me: disappear and let me concentrate on seeing.

I'm so delighted.

G

Riley

Lead Violin: Elizabeth

Olympus M1, 1/100, ISO 1600, -0.3 e/v,
Olympus 45/1.8 at 1.8, Digital 2x (set incamera)
shot jpeg​

Godfrey

My out of town guests were visiting a week ago. We took a walk around Santa Clara and visited the Carmelite Monastery. It's a lovely place, with a beautiful chapel and a small olive grove. The light shining on this statue of the madonna and christ child was particularly beautiful.

all: Olympus E-M1 + Lumix G 14mm f/2.5

Thanks for looking! comments always appreciated.

G