The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus E-M1

Godfrey

This is nice, Riley.

I question whether the rock (or bit of a tree) in scene center and the little bit of a tree on the far right should be cloned out. Both items at this image size pull on my eye and seem a bit of a distraction.

G

Riley

This is nice, Riley.
thanks Godfrey

Godfrey said:
I question whether the rock (or bit of a tree) in scene center and the little bit of a tree on the far right should be cloned out. Both items at this image size pull on my eye and seem a bit of a distraction.

G
its the remains of a burnt tree and a rock formation on the ground

you are probably right, and I should probably clone it out
lets say pictorially wanting but spiritually perfect :)

Im still getting a handle on M1
perfection comes later :)

Godfrey

thanks Godfrey

its the remains of a burnt tree and a rock formation on the ground

you are probably right, and I should probably clone it out
lets say pictorially wanting but spiritually perfect :)

Im still getting a handle on M1
perfection comes later :)

Oh, I get that. The E-M1 is a terrific camera. The fact that I'm already starting to make "photographs" rather than test picture with it, and see your work past the technical hoo-ha, says to me that it's a damn successful camera. It usually takes me a LOT longer to really start to see with a camera. Took me five months with the M9 to begin ... !

G

jonoslack

Well, here are some dog snaps (nothing like a dog snap!)

this one is with the 75 f1.8

Snoozin

Squirrel Duty​

etrigan63

I am afraid cat snaps are all I am capable of these days as my old fellow recently earned his wings. I shall miss him terribly.

etrigan63

Godfrey,

Thanks!

Here's the funny part - we were a little late for the best sunset so we had too rush our shooting time. I had brought the Canon 5D3 with an 85. Since I was using a studio light on battery I couldn't use the modeling light (kills the battery in no time) and after a few minutes I put the 5D3 away pulled the EM-1 out of the trunk and because it has a red focus assist light I shot over 80% of everything with it. I told a friend about this on the way home (an avid Canon shooter) and he said it was now obvious which was the best camera - THE ONE THAT WORKED.

Jim
Jim,
what trigger did you use for the studio light?

Elderly

Well, here are some dog snaps (nothing like a dog snap!)

Squirrel Duty
Call THAT squirrel duty????;););)

This cr@p sn@p of my late terrier demonstrates proper squirrel duty :D

Ian.

PS I've just previewed my post and my image appears as an attachment (uploaded from my PC) ...... can I insert images into my posts without hosting them somewhere else? [old_person_luddite_smillie]

JMaher

Carlos,

I used a Radio Popper Jr (Studio) so I could control the Alien Bees lights I used remotely. In earlier shots I used the same trigger with a Canon flash so I could so the same thing. I tried a couple of other triggers (Youngno and Godox) just to see if they worked and they did.

Jim

Addition- the Radio Popper works fine but is a little loose as it doesn't screw down. The others fit perfectly.

Last edited:

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Fun with the Olympus Zuiko 11-22 4/3 lens

(on my E-P5, actually, as the E-M1 is in transit)

I took the 11/22 out for a stress test, to see how the AF works on the older 16 MPx generation Pens and to see if its resolution really holds up on the later chips. After all, this lens was shipped with the E-1, which had only 5 MPx.

Just outside Jerusalem, we have some awe-inspiring construction in progress. The new heavy rail line needs to ascend gradually from the airport to a depot in the center of town, 1500' higher. There are hills in the way, so the train tunnels through the hills and then flies across the valleys over things like this:

The final link for the train to burrow into the basement of the city leaps about 500 m across a wide valley, using a series of substantial pillars:

everything is bristling with wires, ladders, and scaffolding, providing a natural resolution test:

so here's a 100% crop:

It looks like the 11-22 has ample resolution to work with 16 MP of M43 pixels. The AF is another story. On the E-P5 with only contrast AF, this lens focuses erratically and is hard to control. I'm hoping this problem is solved in the E-M1.

scott

Brian Mosley

A small selection from Donna Nook this morning - which I was scouting for our next Olympus Photo Safari outing on the 17th November.

E-M1 + Lumix 100-300mm f4-5.6
1/800s f/5.6 at 300.0mm iso200

1/500s f/7.1 at 300.0mm iso200

1/320s f/5.6 at 300.0mm iso200

1/800s f/7.1 at 171.0mm iso200

1/500s f/6.3 at 300.0mm iso200

All quick outputs from LR5.2

Cheers

Brian

Godfrey

From yesterday's morning walk:

all: Olympus E-M1 + Leica Summicron-R 50mm f/2

The Summicron-R 50's focusing helicoid needs a cleaning and relubrication, otherwise it is a delight to use with the E-M1. :)

Thanks for looking! Comments always appreciated.

Godfrey

Brian Mosley

Some more from Donna Nook, this time developed from raw using Olympus Viewer 3, with Lightzone for levels and scaling.

1/1600s f/5.6 at 300.0mm iso200

1/800s f/7.1 at 201.0mm iso200

1/640s f/7.1 at 300.0mm iso200

1/400s f/6.3 at 300.0mm iso200

E-P5 + mZD 17mm f1.8
1/800s f/5.6 at 17.0mm iso200

I much prefer the Olympus colour signature...

Thanks for looking

Brian

Elderly

Bee Eaters taken from a small boat with my ex-EM5 which I sold as soon as the EM1 was announced and I'm still waiting for it!

Oly 14-150mm @ 58mm. 1/125. ISO 200. f8.0. jpeg.

raist3d

I like this shot:

Good use of light, composition and the DOF. Nice colors/tones. And of course, cute appealing to the soul subject :)

- Ricardo

paulwr

Just picked up the E-M1 and 12-40. As a longtime Leica user was not used to all the bells and whistles but quick learning curve.
A few from my first time out last night. Shot JPG (thought I was shooting Raw!)

PR