The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus E-M1

Rich M

Rich

we are looking...but maybe a little early... and am not sure that a 50mm macro is quite the right tool for shooting whales....maybe the 50-200 might be more appropriate :)

though the e-m5 and the 75mm served me well in February this year

K
This one's pretty special…very nice shot…looks like your back is to Lanai, looking towards Ka'anapali side.

I was out in the channel last week and saw two spouts, but no breeches.

R

jonoslack

File name: _A210178.jpg
File size: 381655 bytes (1200x800, 3.2bpp, 8x)
EXIF Summary: 1/125s f/2.8 ISO3200 60mm

Camera-Specific Properties:

Equipment Make: OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
Camera Model: E-M1
Camera Software: Aperture 3.4.5
Photographer: Jonathan Slack
Maximum Lens Aperture: f/2.8

------------------------------------------------------

So the E-M1 isn't much of a step up in terms of noise handling? At least that looks about the same as the GH2 and OMD at 3200 - or maybe even a little noisier. What's your experience so far?
HI There
Well, to be honest, I haven't really looked. As far as I'm concerned it's fine, but you shouldn't read too much into this shot - no NR at all - either in camera or in post, because I just don't mind that much noise, and I don't think it detracts from the detail.
Basically, I'm fine with 3200, and 6400 in most circumstances, which, together with the fast lenses, gives me all I could ever need.

All the best

Riley

So the E-M1 isn't much of a step up in terms of noise handling? At least that looks about the same as the GH2 and OMD at 3200 - or maybe even a little noisier. What's your experience so far?
theyre similar in some ways, but no, its better than a GH2 for noise, mostly because of how it handles very deep shadows and blacks.
In those circumstances around 1600-3200 it can be as more than a stops worth, and then it has IS and a shutter thats as soft as butter.
Its hard to compete with a camera like that.

JMaher

Two photos that I edited and merged from last night. I was out with friends trying for interesting Christmas lighting. Even though I used a flash it's a little shaky as I was trying to gather as much ambient light as possible - so at 1/4 sec with flash.

Jim

kevinparis

godfrey

have brought my 50-200 with me to hawaii.... will be testing it out... its a big beast...but is such a nice lens. Have discovered that SF + Manual works nice with the 4/3 lenses as it automatically switches on focus peaking... which works very well in good light

cheers

K

Tesselator

theyre similar in some ways, but no, its better than a GH2 for noise, mostly because of how it handles very deep shadows and blacks.
In those circumstances around 1600-3200 it can be as more than a stops worth, and then it has IS and a shutter thats as soft as butter.
Its hard to compete with a camera like that.
HI There
Well, to be honest, I haven't really looked. As far as I'm concerned it's fine, but you shouldn't read too much into this shot - no NR at all - either in camera or in post, because I just don't mind that much noise, and I don't think it detracts from the detail.
Basically, I'm fine with 3200, and 6400 in most circumstances, which, together with the fast lenses, gives me all I could ever need.

All the best
Well ..... frankly, I find the E-M1 compared to my E-M5 in regard of noise less well performing.
Even at ISO 200 the files can be rather 'noisy' (if that's the correct term here), especially in the OOF areas.
Very much doubt it that future firmware will solve this.
Let me haste to add that I absolutely love my E-M1 for its functionality and overall handling (w/ or w/o battery grip).

But I too would like to hear what others' experiences are.

All the best.

Thanks guys!

kevinparis

apologies for the repost of pics but flickr seems to want to be a fluckr for some reason with my maui lizard pictures posted above in post #264

cheers

K

Godfrey

Olympus E-M1 + Summilux 25mm
ISO 800 @ f/2.8 @ 1/4 s

I visited SF last evening for a gallery reception. Of course I took the camera along just in case.

Thanks for looking. Comments always appreciated.

Thorkil

Olympus E-M1 + Summilux 25mm
ISO 800 @ f/2.8 @ 1/4 s

I visited SF last evening for a gallery reception. Of course I took the camera along just in case.

Thanks for looking. Comments always appreciated.
handheld I presume :eek: ? (nice)

thorkil

Godfrey

Thank you all for looking!

handheld I presume :eek: ? (nice)
Yes ...

I am finding this is probably the first camera where the capabilities of its image stabilization system is well beyond my expectations. I was testing the 50-200 with EC14 on it around the house the other evening. I found I could get acceptably sharp results, consistently, with a focal length of 280mm down as low as 1/30 second, almost 20x better than the rule of thumb says. That opens up interesting possibilities with long lenses..

Thorkil

...and in my case, it could compensate for my needed high iso, lets say as up to 6400 or perhaps 12800..and the lack of a bigger hole in a 7-14 Panasonic..
thorkil

jonoslack

Hi There
I've been a bit busy lately, but I managed to snap this whilst out feeding the horses this evening. It's just from a jpg (COME ON APPLE).

The 'kit' zoom (12-40) is such a fantastic lens - right up with the greats IMHO.

supper at sunset​