The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus E-M1

jonoslack

Apple has shipped a new version of Camera Raw, which includes support for the E-M1 .ORF files.

Go for it, Jono! :)

G

Such a relief Godfrey
I can't tell you how much I dislike LR.

These are processed in Aperture - and Silver EFEX pro

First shot is with the 60 macro, second and third with the 75 f1.8 (what a lens!).

ivy leaf

sunny meadow

down by the river​

Godfrey

Such a relief Godfrey
I can't tell you how much I dislike LR.

These are processed in Aperture - and Silver EFEX pro

First shot is with the 60 macro, second and third with the 75 f1.8 (what a lens!).
Your reaction to LR is quite similar to my reaction to Aperture. ;-)
Both work, both do mostly very similar things overall. Each has its processing strengths and weaknesses, and different detail target uses. But the workflow and UI are radically different between them. Aperture gives me a headache, Lightroom works the way I want.

No matter, the photographs are the important part. Lovely stuff.

I'm tempted to buy that 75mm AND the SHG ZD 150mm f/2. Since that will cost me more than I feel like spending at one time, I'll just let those desires percolate for a while. ;-)

Godfrey

jonoslack

Your reaction to LR is quite similar to my reaction to Aperture. ;-)
Both work, both do mostly very similar things overall. Each has its processing strengths and weaknesses, and different detail target uses. But the workflow and UI are radically different between them. Aperture gives me a headache, Lightroom works the way I want.
Interesting isn't it, and it's nothing to do with familiarity, over the last 2 years I've used LR as much as Aperture (mainly because Apple are so chronically slow to support Leica products).

No matter, the photographs are the important part. Lovely stuff.
Exactly!

I'm tempted to buy that 75mm AND the SHG ZD 150mm f/2. Since that will cost me more than I feel like spending at one time, I'll just let those desires percolate for a while. ;-)

Godfrey
I'm also tempted by the 150 f2 - but it's an expensive piece of kit! I'm busy selling an elmarit APO 180 f2.8 - because I really don't use it that much, and it's too valuable to justify it's existence as an occasional lens . . . . actually, you're giving me dangerous ideas . . . ..

The 75 f1.8 is unmissable though - just buy it Godfrey - you know it makes sense!

Godfrey

I'm also tempted by the 150 f2 - but it's an expensive piece of kit! I'm busy selling an elmarit APO 180 f2.8 - because I really don't use it that much, and it's too valuable to justify it's existence as an occasional lens . . . . actually, you're giving me dangerous ideas . . . ..
I've wanted the 150/2 since I first got into FourThirds. My reluctance is not just the price tag, it's the amount I'd actually use such a long lens. The 50-200 is superb, and I don't use it terribly much either, although last Saturday's session pointed out to me that the long-end focal lengths have their unique charm.

Olympus E-M1 + ZD 50-200mm + EC-14
ISO 200 @ f/5.6 @ 1/2500 @ 258mm

A 150mm f/2 would net me 1.5-2 stops faster for more DoF control, and a 210mm f/2.8 with the EC-14 is a luscious idea. But beyond that, the 150/2 has such absolutely beautiful image rendering ... sigh.

The 75 f1.8 is unmissable though - just buy it Godfrey - you know it makes sense!
Oh I know that. It does, it's likely the next lens I acquire, depending on when the Panasonic-Leica Summilux-DG 15mm f/1.8 ASPH is released. 75mm I do use, only thing keeping me from plunking down the cash is that i have three other lenses in the focal length range (Summicron-R 90mm, Nikkor-H 85mm, M-Rokkor 90mm) all of which do a beautiful job.

So many nice lenses to enjoy with these cameras!

jonoslack

Oh I know that. It does, it's likely the next lens I acquire, depending on when the Panasonic-Leica Summilux-DG 15mm f/1.8 ASPH is released. 75mm I do use, only thing keeping me from plunking down the cash is that i have three other lenses in the focal length range (Summicron-R 90mm, Nikkor-H 85mm, M-Rokkor 90mm) all of which do a beautiful job.

So many nice lenses to enjoy with these cameras!
Well, I have several equivalent lenses too (including the 75 summicron), but the Zuiko has it's own charms (and autofocus!)

etrigan63

Congratulations Carlos
I hope you'll be very happy together!
Thanks Jono! I'm sure I will be. I did like the E-M5 very much except for the wonky C-AF. This has been addressed in the E-M1 along with the amputation of the AA filter.

The 17mm f/1.8 is every bit as good as everyone says it is. I am pleasantly surprised with the 40-150mm's performance - I bought it during the Black Friday sale for chips. Ultimately, I'd like to get the 40-150 f/2.8 for ballet work and the Panny 100-300mm for sailing. I may stick with primes for walkabout.

Godfrey

Today I'm taking my walk on the manual side. Fitted Nokton 40/1.4, set operation to manual exposure, set CW averaging, set ISO 400, set peaking and magnification on the front buttons. Turned off the LCD. Maybe stick the Color Skopar 21/4 in the bag too. :)

Fun...

G

Godfrey

Olympus E-M1 + Nokton 40mm f/1.4 MC
ISO 200 @ f/2 @ 1/4000 sec

enjoy, thanks for looking. comments always appreciated.

G

jonoslack

Hi there
Lovely light this afternoon, and the dogs needed walking.

Legs eleven

Red and Blue

Diamonds are a girl's best friend

Broken

All the best

Godfrey

Olympus E-M1 + Color Skopar 21mm f/4
ISO 200 @ f/8 @ 1/25 second

Walking with the two manual lenses, camera set to all manual operation, was an interesting experience yesterday. The more I use this camera, the deeper it becomes. :)

Thanks for looking, comments always appreciated.

etrigan63

I have to agree Godfrey. I mounted an OM Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 and found it very very easy to focus even wide open. I will be shooting with it exclusively for the next couple of days.

etrigan63

To wit:

Panda #4 - OM Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 @ f/1.4, Toy Camera effect via Analog Efex Pro

Hungarian Santa - OM Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 @ f/1.4, noise reduction via Dfine 2

Caroler and Cat - OM Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 @ f/1.4, sepia glow via Color Efex Pro 3

Granny's Snowflake - OM Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 @ f/1.4, B&W conversion via Silver Efex Pro 2

mazor

etrigan63, nice images from the 50 f1.4. Wondering though it that lens known for being quite a dreamy lens?