The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus E-M1

Godfrey

Olympus E-M1 + 14mm f/2.5 + DMW-GWC1 0.79x wide converter
ISO 800 @ f/4 @ 1/5 second

Exercising the 14mm plus DMW-GWC1 combination a bit. A tiny bit of motion blur intruded at 1:1 pixel examination, likely a combination of the long exposure time and the fact that the lens tells the body it's a 14mm, not 10.5mm. But it's small enough that I'm happy. ;-)

Thanks for looking. Comments always appreciated.

Godfrey

Mostly exhausted and getting ready for a nap as I was up and out this morning at 6am to go shooting with a friend at Stanford University campus. Wandered the quad with the E-M1, 14+wide converter, 25 and 45 mm lenses.

Just skimmed through the photos ... aside from my casual lack of technique mucking a few of them up, I'm simply blown away by how well this camera and lenses works. Truly stunning stuff.

Photos later, I need some sleep. :)

G

kweide

The fast and the ...
Visiting Dresden and its beautiful historic architecture we were surprised by a fast and furious "Santa Sack Race".
This guy was blazing fast. His technique, short and flat jumps gave him the winning speed, outperforming
all his opponents. And me, with EM1 and the wrong lens attached ( 12 mm ) always aside him with Dresdener
Stollen in my stomach.

Olympus E-M1 + M.Zuiko 12mm, noNR
ISO200 @ f 2.0, 1/250 second, 12 mm focal length​

Godfrey

TIP: lever control ...

Don't know whether anyone else has noticed this, but I thought I'd get it out there for the E-M1 users...

The lever control has five modes of operation. Modes 1-4 are pretty self explanatory, but mode 5's documentation is a bit sparse:

Olympus E-M1 Instruction Manual, page 101:

Mode 5: "The AF modes assigned to the lever positions apply. When the lever position is set to 2, the default setting is MF."
Try as I might, I couldn't find in the manual where they documented how to assign AF modes to the lever positions. But someone on DPR came up with the solution:

To set which modes you want the lever to toggle between,
- set the lever to mode 5
- exit the menus
- set the lever to position 1
- use the Super Control Panel to set the focusing mode
- switch the lever to position 2
- use the SCP to set the focusing mode

You now have a mechanical switch that can flip the focusing mode between any two modes you might want to use back-to-back. Very handy!

Hope all'y'all are having a great holiday!

Godfrey

Godfrey

Woke up and saw deep fog this morning, fitted the grip and the 11-22, and walked about the neighborhood for an hour or so. Arrived back just as the sun burned through.

Olympus E-M1 + ZD 11-22mm f/2.8-3.5
ISO 1600 @ f/6.3 @ 1/800 s @ 22mm

Thanks for looking! Comments always appreciated.

Godfrey

Olympus E-M1 + ZD 11-22mm f/2.8-3.5
ISO 1600 @ f/5 @ 1/250 s @ 21mm

Last post of 2013. From this morning's walk, last exposure I made.

Happy New Year!
See all'y'all next year ...

white.elephant

Hey all

My first post of 2014, first image post on get-dpi ever!

Rented an E-M1 for a week, grabbed this by tapping the screen to focus and shoot! Never had a camera that could do that before, and I couldn't have put myself in a position to grab this pick!

Using the Lumix 20mm f/1.7.

Lovely camera, I can see what all the fuss in about...

white.elephant

Chris. Lovely photo. Lovely dog too !
Jono, as I said, the capture was a confluence of the camera's feature set (I literally thought "I wonder if I can get close to her by the window and get something with the screen" and then touched the spot where her eye was on the screen) and that moment.

The unexpected part was the way the diagonal line of the open window made the composition more interesting. Certainly the way the E-M1 rolls the highlights was an added plus.

Fiona's indeed a beauty, and a rescue, so, as the saying goes, I don't know whether we rescued her or she rescued us.

Godfrey

Okay ... a black M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 just arrived. I'll have time to shoot with it on Saturday.

I blame Jono. Thanks! ;-)

G

scott kirkpatrick

Another failed attempt

at making a calm formal portrait of the in-laws, without any other family members butting in, after shabbat dinner at Savta's (grandma's)...

but they liked it. (11-22 Zuiko at 22 mm)
Also from this afternoon:

with the 11-22 at 11, heavy backlight. The Auto ISO drove me to ISO 100, which I didn't know that it could do.

scott

kweide

A cat
That´s what she is. Sitting on the sofa, enjoying the situation and ready for the jump.

Olympus EM-1 + M.Zuiko 45 f1.8,noNR
ISO200 @ f1.8, 1/200 second, 45 mm focal length​