The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus E-M1

mazor

thanks Godfrey. I am really enjoying my micro four thirds experience! Coming from Canon full frame and L series glass, the microfour thirds lens, are top notch, and the best part is how much lighter my camera kit is now!

Leigh

One more to keep this thread moving along.
Stage Coach by jmmtampa
Kind of odd...
1) The empty holster looks quite out of place
2) The short lower crop makes her look like her right leg is missing.

Other than that, a nice shot.

- Leigh

Godfrey

thanks Godfrey. I am really enjoying my micro four thirds experience! Coming from Canon full frame and L series glass, the microfour thirds lens, are top notch, and the best part is how much lighter my camera kit is now!
:)

I have identical Think Tank Photo "Mirrorless Mover 30i" bags for my Sony A7 and Olympus E-M1.

Fill the Sony bag with A7+Novoflex NEX/LER, Summilux-R 50/1.4, Elmarit-R 24/2.8, Summicron-R90/2, and Elmar-R 180/4 plus iPad mini (cable and power supply), four batteries, spare 32G card, and IR remote.

Fill the Olympus bag with E-M1, Summilux-DG 25/1.4, Lumix 14/2.5 plus wide converter, Macro-Elmarit 45/2.8, M.Zuiko 75/1.8 plus iPad mini (cable and power supply), three batteries, spare 32G card, and cable remote.

Sony bag is full, Olympus bag is 2/3 full. Sony bag weighs twice what Olympus bag weighs. (Approximately 7 lbs for the Sony, 4 lbs for the Olympus.)

Quality of the photos between the two systems is about the same. There are differences in how they look for sure, but they're both superb performers in the field or on a tripod.

G

Elderly

I have identical Think Tank Photo "Mirrorless Mover 30i" bags for ...

Fill the Olympus bag with E-M1, Summilux-DG 25/1.4, Lumix 14/2.5 plus wide converter, Macro-Elmarit 45/2.8, M.Zuiko 75/1.8 plus iPad mini (cable and power supply), three batteries, spare 32G card, and cable remote.....

Olympus bag is 2/3 full. ....

G
Godfrey - I have an ancient Think Tank Urban Disguise which is great for major trips as I can fit everything in from passports to bananas :grin: and convert it to a backpack when needed, but I'm looking for something smaller for 'everyday'.

From your 2/3rds full description the 30i is in theory too big, but looking on TTP's website, the 20i appears too small to fit my EM-1 with 12-40 lens and hood fitted, 14-150 occasionally, and with the odd battery, mobile phone etc.

There's no TTP stockists in my area to visit for a 'fitting'.
Did you look at the 20i and if it's not too much trouble please could you post a picture of your 30i's interior with your EM-1 fitted with a 12-40 ish size lens with hood in it?

Of course, all suggestions/recommendations form the great GetDPI collective would be very welcome :).

I claim that bag discussion is not Off Topic as a new bag will allow me to have 'Fun with my Olympus EM-1' :angel:.

Godfrey

Godfrey - I have an ancient Think Tank Urban Disguise which is great for major trips as I can fit everything in from passports to bananas :grin: and convert it to a backpack when needed, but I'm looking for something smaller for 'everyday'.

From your 2/3rds full description the 30i is in theory too big, but looking on TTP's website, the 20i appears too small to fit my EM-1 with 12-40 lens and hood fitted, 14-150 occasionally, and with the odd battery, mobile phone etc.

There's no TTP stockists in my area to visit for a 'fitting'.
Did you look at the 20i and if it's not too much trouble please could you post a picture of your 30i's interior with your EM-1 fitted with a 12-40 ish size lens with hood in it? ...
You want the 30i ... the 20i is both much too small and a different design in terms of the bag opening and overflap. The 30i is not too large, it's the right size as far as I'm concerned.

I pulled my 30i out of the closet and photographed it with the iPhone just as is at present.

Contents currently include:
(in main compartment)
E-M1+75/1.8+hood
Summilux-DG 25 + hood
Macro-Elmarit-DG 45 + hood in lens bag
Panasonic 14mm
Panasonic wide converter for 14mm
iPad mini

(in front compartment)
two spare batteries
HLD-7 battery grip​

There's room for the iPad cable and power supply, Olympus cable remote, and spare memory cards in the front pocket still. The side pockets ... currently the stretchy one is empty, the other has the rain cover in it, which I usually don't carry. There's room on top of the camera and lenses in the main compartment for another small bag with a bunch of small accessories if needed (filters, etc.) I didn't take them out, but in the pocket on the overflap I have microfiber lens clothes and a small pack of kleenex tissues.

I've also used this bag with a very different kit of lenses and the E-M1 body: fit each lens with an MMF-3, then the E-M1 + Olympus ZD 50-200, ZD 35 Macro, and ZD 11-22 works well, same accessories in the front pocket. (The camera can be fitted to either the 11-22 or 35 Macro when everything's in the bag; the 50-200 plus camera is too long to fit.)

The whole thing is nicely compact and easy to carry, and good to work out of too.
I had two different Urban Disguise bags (50 and 35 II, I think). They were great for hauling a lot of gear on a long trip but not great to shoot out of. The MM 30i performs both functions very nicely, unless you want to carry a laptop.

If I want to carry a (13") laptop, I use a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air and then switch to a Tenba Messenger Mini (which will hold a LOT more camera gear as well as the laptop, and is also an excellent bag to work out of).

(One of my other favorite bags ... the Artisan & Artist ACAM 1100 or very similar the Black Label Bag "Oskar's One Day Bag Mark II" ... works for a similar kit, but I find the shape better suited to RF-style cameras with their smooth, rectangular tops. SLR-style cameras with the viewfinder hump don't slide in and out as nicely.)

And yes, getting the right means to carry the kit does mean much more "Fun with {whatever camera you prefer at the moment}." I'm glad I found the MM 30i, it's a very good bag for most of my shooting with either A7 or E-M1.

G

scott kirkpatrick

Interesting. I have the MM30i (but didn't know it was called that). I went into Keble and Schuhat with an armload of Olympus lenses and the new E-M1, and came out with that bag, which I still haven't completely filled.

scott

Elderly

Thank you Godfrey, most informative.
Of course the size I need doesn't exist .... The MM25i

BTW Are you alpha testing a new Black & Decker camera?

Godfrey

Interesting. I have the MM30i (but didn't know it was called that). I went into Keeble & Shuchat with an armload of Olympus lenses and the new E-M1, and came out with that bag, which I still haven't completely filled.
I bought the MM30i for the A7 kit as the Leica R lenses are somewhat bulky, my other bags didn't work well. I went back to get the MM20 for the E-M1, but the MM30i was a much more versatile fir so I bought a second one.

G

Godfrey

Thank you Godfrey, most informative.
Of course the size I need doesn't exist .... The MM25i

BTW Are you alpha testing a new Black & Decker camera?
I prefer to err on the "slightly too large" side with bags. Slightly too small is always a pain in the tookus.

B&D camera ...? Ah, no, I was ironing some shirts. ;-)

G

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I have over a dozen bags in my closet, and a backpack. I always seem to go back to my A&A Oskar One Day bag (that I have had and loved since 2006). Mine is well-worn, but still looks good. The thing that I love most about it is the way that it conforms to what you have in it. It can be light and fit close, or be filled like a bowling ball. Everything is well padded and secure in it.

Godfrey

I have over a dozen bags in my closet, and a backpack. I always seem to go back to my A&A Oskar One Day bag (that I have had and loved since 2006). Mine is well-worn, but still looks good. The thing that I love most about it is the way that it conforms to what you have in it. It can be light and fit close, or be filled like a bowling ball. Everything is well padded and secure in it.
Yes, that's otherwise known as the ACAM 1100 ... it was the design base for the Black Label Bag "Oskar's One Day Bag mark II" sold by Photo Village in NY. Wonderful bag, but I find I prefer it for my rangefinder cameras. I've had one since 2010 (I think). It does best with the Ricoh GXR, Leica M9, M4-2, CL, etc, for me.

What appeals to me about the MM30i is that it has a bit more structure and holds its shape, yet hangs properly and has enough give to be comfortable and conform to your body. It's hard to get that from the photos.

Bags bags bags bags ... My closets are full of them. Again. ;-)

G

Godfrey

For an EM-1 and an extra lens or so I usually use a Domke F-5xb ...
I've had an F5XB for many years—I think this one is now 20+ years old. It's currently the bag which my Olympus E-1 lives in. The problem now is that I almost always have the iPad mini with me, and there's just not quite enough space in the F5XB for it.

G

Godfrey

I hope that my bag question is not going to escalate into another
"Focal length and Format demystified" thread :argue:.

'Bags at Dawn' :p.
Not a chance...

Olympus E-M1 + ZD 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5
ISO 6400 @ f/7.1 @ 1/40 sec

:)

G