The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus E-M1

gib48189

My E3 could never do this -

After updating to the latest firmware, I stopped at a Horse Show on the way home from work today, E-M1 and 50-200, non-swd, indoor arena. With the E3, it was always hit or miss for focus and always had to use flash with the same 50-200.

With the E-M1 set to 3200ISO, I am blown away. Instant positive focus even on dark bay horses, no flash. I could never had done with the E3 -

Godfrey

Back on the Streets Again — San Jose 2014
Olympus E-M1 + 75mm

Seems like months have gone by while I have been too busy to hit the street with a camera. The big push is done, I'll have a life again now for a bit. Met with a friend in downtown this morning at 6:00 to catch the end of sunrise and see what I could see.

Elderly

You want the 30i ...

G
Today I found myself near a camera shop who had a 30i and a Retrospective 5 in stock, the R5 was much reduced in price and so there was not too much difference in (rip-off UK) prices.

I really liked the quality, look (oh vanity!) and strap of the R5 but it was heavy and like a complex maze inside, and with strange small flaps at the top of each side which made getting stuff in and out not straightforward. Heart said 'yes',
Head said 'no'.

On the other hand, the 30i was light, and simple to work out of,
but it seemed really 'cheap' in the quality sense and I didn't like the look (oh vanity again), I didn't unwrap the strap but it didn't look as comfortable as the one on the R5. Head said 'yes, Heart said 'no' ..........

.......... Back home now and heart and head are still battling!:D

Godfrey

Every time I pick up one of the Retrospective bags I am astonished at how heavy they are and how fussy, clumsy all the flaps and stuff are.

The MM30i is light, simple, and utilitarian*in nature. It's quite nicely made, just thin and unobtrusive—because it's light, it feels "cheap" but it isn't. The strap is decent as is ... but it's also removable so you can fit whatever strap you prefer easily. I sometimes change it for the broad cotton Domke strap used with the Domke F5XB if I am carrying a full load.

When it comes to bags, I go for simple and utilitarian far more than 'sexy' looking. Reasonably protective without being over big for the capacity, as light as possible while maintaining some structure (it makes it easier to get stuff in and out if the bag doesn't just flop over on itself), etc etc.

I'm really happy I've found the MM30i. I may indeed buy yet another one .. I've been shooting a lot with my Polaroid cameras, which have their own odd shape and needs for film storage, accessory storage, etc. The MM30i breaks in nicely and hangs perfectly on my shoulder or bandolier style, and I think it will provide just the right mix of space and structure for the Polaroids too.

On my Saturday shooting session, I had the E-M1 with ZD 11-22, ZD 35 Macro, and M.Zuiko 75 in the MM30, along with the usual complement of batteries and iPad mini. Walked for an hour or so with it. It never once got in the way. That's the best compliment I can offer for any bag...

Fun fun fun ... :)

G

Godfrey

Just musing as I avoid getting any work done .. :)

My E-M1 has now turned 6000 exposures. I had it out for a walking session during the sweet sunrise light in downtown San Jose. If anything, having not even touched it for a month, I find I have bonded with it even moreso than with the E-1 which I've loved since I first obtained it in 2008. The E-M1 is responsive, quiet, and intuitive to use. I have not touched the configuration I set up for it since last November—it works just right and does not strain my wee little brain to remember what is set up.

I worked with the ZD 11-22 and M.Zuiko 75mm lenses, made a hundred and some photos in an hour's walking. AF exclusively, all kinds of urban subjects. All exposures—ALL—are bang-on perfectly focused, perfectly exposed. No matter how casually I was shooting. Even at ISO 6400, they are clean and crisp.

While no camera is perfect, this E-M1 has not exhibited a single fault or defect. It just works and works. The version 1.4 firmware update improved on AF operation with the ZD lenses, which was already quite good.

An outstanding camera in my book. If I couldn't afford to have the three-four systems that currently clutter my closets, it would be enough.

G

Godfrey

Head v. Heart . Round 1 to the 30i ....... should I even bother to search out another opponent?
I'd just do it. It's just a bag, after all, and and not that hideously expensive that you couldn't just say, "Oh well, it didn't work out. Try again..."

G

Godfrey

Olympus E-M1 + M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8
ISO 320 @ f/2.2 @ 1/160 s

Thanks for looking. Comments always appreciated.

enjoy!
G

Godfrey

ISO 2000 @ f/5 @ 1/160 sec

More from the early Saturday morning walk.
Thanks for looking! Comments always appreciated.

enjoy,
G

Godfrey

ISO 1600 @ f/4 @ 1/160 sec

Thanks for looking. Comments always appreciated.

scott kirkpatrick

Re: PLEASURES OF TRAVEL

This morning our airport developed luggage conveyer congestion. No bags moved from six AM until nearly noon. This completely halted check-ins. Here are some of the results:

and of course the incoming flow (not heavy in midmorning) also ground to a halt,

I was there to go on a short business trip, and the world will go on fine without my getting to that meeting, so I went home. But not before taking a few pictures, and discussing them with a security guard who couldn't find any harm in them. We agreed to disagree on whether taking pictures in an airport is a threat to security.

scott

mazor

Wow Godfrey, loving these black and white textures captured with the E-M1!

Here is my latest shot with the E-M1 and the 75mm f1.8